News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 22, 2024, 11:11:19 PMDo deckers on the 60 struggle with turning around at the Cranes Park terminus, or is the crossroad wide enough?
The shouldn't do, they've been doing it for years

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 22, 2024, 11:11:19 PMDo deckers on the 60 struggle with turning around at the Cranes Park terminus, or is the crossroad wide enough?
Why would deckers struggle?

Everyone seems to forget they are shorter than a full-length single deck, double decks are as manoeuvrable as a midi-bus. 
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

Quote from: Stu on March 23, 2024, 10:02:32 AMWhy would deckers struggle?

Everyone seems to forget they are shorter than a full-length single deck, double decks are as manoeuvrable as a midi-bus. 

So I'm guessing that's a no? I was just wondering from the perspective that it's a bus and not a car therefore you may not be able to make the turn in one go
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 23, 2024, 11:24:50 AMSo I'm guessing that's a no? I was just wondering from the perspective that it's a bus and not a car therefore you may not be able to make the turn in one go
It's easily done, I've watched them do it.

If you look on Google Maps you can see the marks on the road surface where vehicles are regularly turning round there. :wink:

You cannot view this attachment.

As already been pointed out, the 60 has been terminating and turning around there for many years, if there was any issue then the route would have had to have been changed.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

LiamsTransport1

Quote from: Sh4318 on March 22, 2024, 11:08:21 PMThat is true. I don't know why they did vinyl when they're staying with WMR for the forseeable. At least the temporary livery applied to the 323s and 350/2s make sense
I would guess that the 172s were vinyled because at the time they wasn't that old as they didn't require a full repaint. Same happened with the 323s back when the switch between Regional Railways and Central Trains, the units didn't receive a repaint till London Midland took over the franchise.
Local routes: 19/20/20A/27/39/39A/49/55/63/145/202

Lukeee

Its a similar situation to the hamstead terminus on the 16 and deckers manage that 

mesub

Very small change that doesn't seem to have been advertised on the website:

Outbound 23 now stops at Kempsey House. Good for connecting with the X22.

Looks like it's been timed with the city centre changes and I can only assume stop announcements would have been updated to reflect this fact (haven't had a chance to go on one yet).
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Mike K

Quote from: mesub on April 08, 2024, 03:08:20 PMVery small change that doesn't seem to have been advertised on the website:

Outbound 23 now stops at Kempsey House. Good for connecting with the X22.

Looks like it's been timed with the city centre changes and I can only assume stop announcements would have been updated to reflect this fact (haven't had a chance to go on one yet).
I hadn't realised until today that the 23/24 have reverted to their old Square Peg city centre terminus / timing point, instead of New St Station. 

Mike K

There seem to be big gaps in service on both the 23 and 24 today. This may be due in part to some buses not tracking but there have definitely been a number of journeys missing. A work colleague who uses the 24 from said 2 journeys failed to show from the Quinton Road West terminus. I gave up on the 23 as Bustimes showed a 29 minute gap and in the end caught 6844 on the 24 which was absolutely rammed. This was another short working to the Square Peg, and was taken out of service, despite the fact it should have run the outbound journey from town at 08.33. No idea what the issue is today. 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Mike K on April 10, 2024, 09:40:14 AMThere seem to be big gaps in service on both the 23 and 24 today. This may be due in part to some buses not tracking but there have definitely been a number of journeys missing. A work colleague who uses the 24 from said 2 journeys failed to show from the Quinton Road West terminus. I gave up on the 23 as Bustimes showed a 29 minute gap and in the end caught 6844 on the 24 which was absolutely rammed. This was another short working to the Square Peg, and was taken out of service, despite the fact it should have run the outbound journey from town at 08.33. No idea what the issue is today.
There was a crash on the A38 near to the Uni could have caused chaos around that area
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Mike K

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on April 10, 2024, 09:58:47 AMThere was a crash on the A38 near to the Uni could have caused chaos around that area
I don't think that was the issue, traffic along the 23/24 routes was fine, the 24 I caught was on time and journeys that did operate before and after the "missing" ones were running roughly to time. There were only around 8 buses tracking on each route on Bustimes, compared to around 11-12 normally. 

I'm wondering if there are driver shortages due to Eid. 

ellspurs

Quote from: Mike K on April 10, 2024, 12:46:50 PMI don't think that was the issue, traffic along the 23/24 routes was fine, the 24 I caught was on time and journeys that did operate before and after the "missing" ones were running roughly to time. There were only around 8 buses tracking on each route on Bustimes, compared to around 11-12 normally.
I'm wondering if there are driver shortages due to Eid.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/service-updates/eid-disruption

There was a thing on there Monday saying that "special Eid services were in place" for 14/94/95/97 but that was only for Monday/Tuesday. That link above has appeared since then.

Mike K

Quote from: ellspurs on April 10, 2024, 01:12:47 PMhttps://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/service-updates/eid-disruption

There was a thing on there Monday saying that "special Eid services were in place" for 14/94/95/97 but that was only for Monday/Tuesday. That link above has appeared since then.
Thanks - yes, that link shows disruptions to the 23 and 24 throughout the day today so that probably explains it. 

monkeyjoe

Shortages of drivers this week linked to Eid celebrations maybe?

Gareth

Looks like a 97 has taken a wrong turning in the city centre. There's one currently looking a bit stranded on Dale End. It can't go forwards as it's too tall for the bridge and it can't turn right onto Albert Street as it's closed. Maybe a bit of awkward reversing needed to get it back onto the junction with Lower Bull Street.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk