News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Pete's Travel

Started by PM, April 15, 2013, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

I beginning to notice a pattern forming......

Both AMPM & Pete's Travel were much higher quality operations when the fathers were at the helm, it's only when the sons took over that they started to decline

BCMobile

Petes Travel.

Crazy bastards.

The stuff I've seen them do you wouldn't believe just to get in front of Travel W M.

Seriously mental.

Winston I was about to say that re: AMPM and Petes.

Steveminor

Of course they were crazy after all they got 10% of their takings  which increased to 50% when they got over a certain level in the week.
Re better when the fathers were in charge, well I guess there is nothing better than age or experience. In both cases thd fathers were bus men whilst their sons were an accountant(Kevin Jones & a lawyer (Mel Kang)

fleetline6477

Quote from: BCMobile on April 22, 2013, 10:30:54 PM
Petes Travel.

Crazy bastards.

The stuff I've seen them do you wouldn't believe just to get in front of Travel W M.

Seriously mental.

I think it is rather unfair to generalize in this way. Like any operator there were some, a small minority, of drivers who were rather mad at times - a significant number previously sacked by TWM. Most drivers were very professional and drove to a high standard, of course the bad examples of driving in a bus or any vehicle is much more likely to be noticed than the good examples.

BCMobile

Quote from: fleetline6477 on April 23, 2013, 06:40:05 PM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 22, 2013, 10:30:54 PM
Petes Travel.

Crazy bastards.

Seriously mental.

I think it is rather unfair to generalize in this way. Like any operator there were some, a small minority, of drivers who were rather mad at times - a significant number previously sacked by TWM. Most drivers were very professional and drove to a high standard, of course the bad examples of driving in a bus or any vehicle is much more likely to be noticed than the good examples.

Just from what I remember, even when running dead, they will NOT allow you to overtake. I'm talking serious dangerous maneuvers... They've gone now and I dare say even if they were around today they wouldn't of lasted much longer with tighter restrictions and the like with the traffic commissioner. Would be nice to have a bit of competition now and again though. I bet the 16 has drama.

Kevin

Quote from: BCMobile on April 23, 2013, 09:11:34 PM
I bet the 16 has drama.

I'll be honest I wouldn't say so, NX and diamond drivers possibly a little erratic at times but from experience its usually down to the other car drivers being general idiots round there, most of the time id say there's no real difference in driving style to others, and GRS just plod along regardless of being just in front or just behind another companies bus. I would say on a fair few occasions the 16 will go out of his way to outdo a 74/75 from Hockley into town, no idea why
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

BCMobile

Quote from: Kevin on April 23, 2013, 11:37:58 PM
Quote from: BCMobile on April 23, 2013, 09:11:34 PM
I bet the 16 has drama.

I'll be honest I wouldn't say so, NX and diamond drivers possibly a little erratic at times but from experience its usually down to the other car drivers being general idiots round there, most of the time id say there's no real difference in driving style to others, and GRS just plod along regardless of being just in front or just behind another companies bus. I would say on a fair few occasions the 16 will go out of his way to outdo a 74/75 from Hockley into town, no idea why

Oh I know what you mean. I guess these other operators need to make a living as well. But to be honest I meant like a large amount of buses at the terminus and stuff, but all those "good old days" of arguments and stuff has long deminished. I know that Upper Dean Street can get congested, especially with the 16 having competition. Didn't realise that route was so busy anyway.

Nathan4775

Anyone know what type of buses Petes Travel used when running there services ?
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

trident4370

I don't really remember Petes but I know a fair few of Diamond Tividale's old darts came from them, along with Green Bus 101-105. I'm pretty sure they also had some Mercedes Vario and Olympians too.

John

Yes, Trident/Presidents were new to Petes Travel in 2001. They were sold to Reading Buses within 2 years. All but three are now with Green Bus. These were used on the 404, when ran by Petes along with TWM, and probably other Petes routes.

One not are
PO51 WNH
PO51 WNK
PO51 WNN

Batch of Alexander ALX200 Darts, W901-906 JNF, also new to Petes
I think these are all split between Diamond and Wessex, some may have been sold outside Rotala

Plaxton Pointer Darts

V-SVV new to Petes. I think one or two remain with Diamond
Some of the KU-52 Darts now at Redditch and Tividale were new to Petes
T-EBD Darts
S-RNE Darts

PM

Also X6...AKW darts some of which are running with rotala still
The SVV darts were also petes-dont know about 382/88 though-know 377 and 391 were owned by petes though
JNF darts
JVV darts as well-fair few of those still about
YRP darts
EBD darts
XNE darts
S397HVV was a petes one as well
as were S404/5JUA

So quite a few former petes buses still about!!

winston

Nathan,

Can I suggest for future reference that you try Googling Pete's Travel first? As if you had, you would have found top of the search list a weblink to the attached Pete's Travel history & fleetlist  ;)

http://www.reddibus.com/Petes%20Travel.htm

Nathan4775

My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Steveminor

They also ran ex London metrobuses for a while
Other odd balls they ran were ford transit 16 seat breadvans an optare excell (lasted about 2 weeks before being sent back to mistral & a Marshall mini which lasted about a week

DJ

I remember seeing a yellow decker most mornings before school on St Marks Road, sometime around 8:30 AM-ish. Does anyone know if Pete's used a decker on any of the morning 401/2's, or would this have been something else?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk