News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

select bus

Started by mranon, March 13, 2013, 12:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

I thought Staffs CC had only removed funding for evening & Sunday services?

Cheese

Quote from: Westy on February 24, 2018, 03:11:01 PM
I thought Staffs CC had only removed funding for evening & Sunday services?

But Select have registered the 71 commercially so that contract for Arriva's 71 has also been removed.

Westy

I dont understand.

Arriva's depot is on the route anyway.

Where is Select based?

Busman Jamie

Straightlines

Quote from: Busman Jamie on February 24, 2018, 11:48:29 AM
The 878 is a tendered service so the service is dictated to scc requirements as is the 67

As for the 71, I believe if we never took on the service there would of been no service at all on a satutday as scc has removed funding off a number of satutfay services in Cannock so our 71 every 2 hours is better than no bus at all

I'm not on about the 878 or the 67 particularly, although the 877/878 is a good case in point with a very messy schedule.

Same as the 12, which again has a timetable that the average bus user would struggle to comprehend.

As for the 71, there is a 4 hour gap from Cannock between 1200 and 1600 according to Traveline. I'm sure that is going to do wonders for the patronage figures.

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on February 25, 2018, 10:26:13 AM
I'm not on about the 878 or the 67 particularly, although the 877/878 is a good case in point with a very messy schedule.

Same as the 12, which again has a timetable that the average bus user would struggle to comprehend.

As for the 71, there is a 4 hour gap from Cannock between 1200 and 1600 according to Traveline. I'm sure that is going to do wonders for the patronage figures.
With some services it just has to be what the revenue it brings in supports. NX were going to withdraw the WN54 in April but with some clever scheduling meaning the PVR is reduced to two vehicles, and also some good negotiating by the commercial manager resposible for the route it is going to survive, but the timetable won't be perfect.

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on February 25, 2018, 11:46:52 AM
With some services it just has to be what the revenue it brings in supports. NX were going to withdraw the WN54 in April but with some clever scheduling meaning the PVR is reduced to two vehicles, and also some good negotiating by the commercial manager resposible for the route it is going to survive, but the timetable won't be perfect.

Yes, I'm aware how scheduling services work.

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on February 25, 2018, 12:07:24 PM
Yes, I'm aware how scheduling services work.

So why critisise an operator that is doing there best to provide a service with the resources available within the costs that no other operator will try, and coundils will not support

BusMan Greg

Was select running any services at all today. The 877/8 probably wasn't running was it

Grinder

They were out and about in Stafford but then Stafford escaped the worst of the weather.

Busman Jamie

They was running yesterday to the best they could, same again today

JoNi

Quote from: Tony on February 25, 2018, 11:46:52 AM

This is the fudge of widened headways used by many bus companies where routes are cost centres, rather than interworking with other routes and sharing an extra bus between four routes. Thus the cost of providing an hourly service is a quarter of a bus! I'm not a fan of franchising but one of its benefits is customer friendly clockface departures from terminals.

Tony

Quote from: JoNi on March 07, 2018, 05:04:12 PM
This is the fudge of widened headways used by many bus companies where routes are cost centres, rather than interworking with other routes and sharing an extra bus between four routes. Thus the cost of providing an hourly service is a quarter of a bus! I'm not a fan of franchising but one of its benefits is customer friendly clockface departures from terminals.

And you really think franchising would be able to afford the extra bus? specially as there's less chance of being able to do the interworking if other local routes are frachised to different operators.

The 54 Wolverhampton to Stafford is going to survive because NX are going to interwork the extra bus. If that route was franchised there is no way it would survive because the money just wouldn't be there for the third bus

BusMan Greg

A quick question about the new 71 service. I have looked at the timetable and it said it will serve Featherstone in the morning for a service to cheslyn hay high school. Is this replacing the 67 runs to the school or is it just a additional service

Busman Jamie

It's an additional service, service 67 will still operate the current timetable

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk