News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Hopes and Predictions for 2018

Started by the trainbasher, December 23, 2017, 08:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on December 26, 2017, 09:28:11 PM
What would the point of that be, throw people of one bus to put them on another bus, to transport them in to the City Centre on another bus, surely you'd still have the same amount of buses in the City Centre, just more shuttle buses to some interchange. Surely it'd just make everyones journey longer.

Everybody's journeys are getting longer anyway due to the increased traffic congestion in and around the city centre. The network around Birmingham needs a radical overhaul, otherwise bus services are going to grind to a halt within the next few years. Look at a network map, the majority of routes are 'arterial', that is they run in and out of the city centre, its not hard to work out what causes the pinch points as congestion increases. People who only use the services at the outer fringes complain about buses not turning up or running late. People who use the same services in and out of the city complain about late running and overcrowding.
There are going to have to be some difficult decisions made in the future, and those start with radical proposals. What's your solution then?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on December 26, 2017, 09:01:36 PM
I think the biggest issue with the city centre and bus congestion is the number of car parks, and the queues for them which block up many of the city centre roads which are key routes for many bus services.
I have commented before that I would like to see a much improved park-and ride service, so there are less cars driving into the heart of the city centre to get a space at a car park. Get a large number of these cars out the way, and bus reliability has a chance of some much needed improvement. Four huge park-and-ride sites, north, south, east and west of the city centre, with frequent shuttle bus services linking them to the city centre.

Or perhaps have less bus services going in and out of the city centre? Have a similar principle, with perhaps eight 'key bus interchanges' dotted around the middle ring road, with most services terminating at those (as feeders), rather than continuing all the way into the city centre. Key 'trunk routes' would continue to enter the city, with other shorter 'cross-city' shuttles linking the interchanges together, as well as a revised Inner Circle service.

Fair point, 4 large park & ride sites sounds like a good idea, especially if shuttle buses are free with the buses operating them are built to a high internal spec. This should also be done in conjunction with hiking Central Birmingham car parking charges / reducing lengths of stays, making several routes in to the City Centre buses only / re-instating bus lanes. Also over time, reduce the number of City Centre car parks / spaces available via re-developing the land for alternative use.
The only way they can achieve all the above, is to make it inconvenient to drive straight in to the City Centre. I would also consider banning deliveries to shops on main routes in to the City Centre during the hours of 7am – 7pm (7 days a week)

Kevin

I'd agree that Park and Ride sites would be hugely beneficial to the city's traffic woes

But unfortunately I feel the city is too car friendly and unlikely to go for such a scheme, the road network coming in from the North (A34/A38) makes driving too simple and easy
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Sayeed

I predict Platinums for the 1 & 59 (WN). Then send 61 plates to Coventry and remainings to Dundee?
Век живи - век учись

Bob

Someone mentioned a prediction Arriva sell up in Cannock and poss other garages...which other garages might be contenders? Wouldnt have thought Tamworth?

Ben

Quote from: Sandy Lane on December 24, 2017, 10:52:30 AM
Predictions for Coventry. Some humour, some serious!
- Having closed a no. of bus lanes in 2017 the council will go further and ban all buses from the city centre as they see Coventry as motor car city! Pollution and traffic jams rules here.
- Pool meadow bus station will be turned into student flats as the University overwhelmes the city.
- Millions of pounds will be wasted looking at a possible unique tram system for Coventry. After 10 years work it will confirm that buses are the best answer.
- Coventry will heavily fund excellent public tranport improvements in Birmingham for no positive gain whatsoever.
- Rotala will take over Igo routes.
- Decourcy will sell up its declining bus services to Rotala and concentrate on the more profitable coach business.
- Bus services to Kenilworth will take a hit when the trains call there.
- this forum will hopefully continue!
Happy Christmas everyone
Just brilliant!

I do see De Courcey withdrawing routes but I wouldn't say they will focus on coachwork more.

Predictions:
National Express withdraw all of the Citaro Bendibuses. This looks likely.
Slow withdrawal/Replacement of the older AXL400's.
Tweaking of timetables etc.

MW

Hopes (or wishes)

B5TL Gemini III bought in, to either replace the E400MMC as the standard double deck, or to dual source. I loved the fact that Acocks Green & West Bromwich were ADL free zones (Double Decks) in terms of chassis, whilst the rest were ADL. It gave them a bit of uniqueness. Now we have ADL in pretty much every damn depot. The Gemini has always been a far superior bus to the ADL equivalent in my opinion. I haven't been on the StreetDeck still, but I imagine the Gemini III is a lot better. The link below shows the interior of some high specification examples up in Newcastle. Two tone seating would be nice to Platinum as well. It's quite dreary inside them. The covered rear window plays its part of course.

I'd also like to see the remaining Geminis at AG to be Crimsoned for the 11, although that's already been thrown out of the window due to the economics I presume. Odd crimsons always make it on the 11 due to the logistics of the garage and the nature of breakdowns etc.

Another hope, but I know it won't happen. It'd be good to see NX acquire another company within the Bus division.

My main wish for the year and onwards is that Wrightbus become a supplier for the company again, like I've said.

Jack D

Hope: Claribel 55 will run on Daytime, or at least more frequent in Mornings and evenings.

Tony

Quote from: Jack D on January 10, 2018, 07:34:59 PM
Hope: Claribel 55 will run on Daytime, or at least more frequent in Mornings and evenings.

I predict there will be less competition all over the country this year, not more

Bob

Quote from: Tony on January 10, 2018, 07:40:04 PM
I predict there will be less competition all over the country this year, not more

Ah competition...the privatisation dream

Eric Shaw

I think 22nd July will be an interesting date. Solihull will then require buses to be euro4. Sunny, Social and RKT may have problems and Diamond will have to be careful what they use on the 30. AG and YW will need to have updated some of their old vehicles or have some replacements although NXWM always seem to have things planned well ahead.
If they are to have more new vehicles will they have the so far untried new technology.

Quote from: Eric Shaw on January 17, 2018, 05:26:45 PM
I think 22nd July will be an interesting date. Solihull will then require buses to be euro4. Sunny, Social and RKT may have problems and Diamond will have to be careful what they use on the 30. AG and YW will need to have updated some of their old vehicles or have some replacements although NXWM always seem to have things planned well ahead.
If they are to have more new vehicles will they have the so far untried new technology.
I agree be interesting to see what happens between now and then to see what, Sunny, DTS and RK Travel do.
Social won't have any problems as they don't enter Solihull Town Centre and only operate the 11C.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on January 17, 2018, 07:13:15 PM
I agree be interesting to see what happens between now and then to see what, Sunny, DTS and RK Travel do.

I look forward to reading your registration cancellation notices from the above operators around May.  ;D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Straightlines

Quote from: 2206 on January 17, 2018, 07:13:15 PM
Social won't have any problems as they don't enter Solihull Town Centre and only operate the 11C.

Having not being privvy to the full details of this SQPS so I'm not sure, however would RK Travel and Discount Travel Solutions not be exempt based on that their frequencies are irregular and not every 30 mins or more.

If it is such case, you will probably find Sunny Travel reducing their frequency accordingly...

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on January 18, 2018, 09:36:14 AM
Having not being privvy to the full details of this SQPS so I'm not sure, however would RK Travel and Discount Travel Solutions not be exempt based on that their frequencies are irregular and not every 30 mins or more.

If it is such case, you will probably find Sunny Travel reducing their frequency accordingly...

I cannot see any exclusions for infrequent services in the Solihull one - below is an extract...

1. SERVICE STANDARDS
1.1 ALL registered local bus services operating within the Scheme Area are required
to participate in the scheme, unless excluded due to being:
i) services which operate for the primary purpose of carrying schoolchildren
or students between their home and a school or Further Education College
at the start or finish of the day; or
ii) Community Transport or Ring and Ride services which are restricted to use
by pre-registered passengers only; or
iii) an excursion, tour service, inter-urban or other agreed non-scheduled
service with the exception of any Scheduled Coach Service which operates
outside the requirements to register as a local bus service under the
requirements contained in the Transport Act 1985; or
iv) any National Rail (whether procured directly by them or via a Train
Operating Company) which are not registered as a Local Service in
accordance with Section 6 of the Transport Act 1985. However any
operator of such a service MUST gain the permission from the WMCA to
use any of facilities specifically provided for this agreement; or
v) any Local Services operating within the Scheme Area but which do not stop
at any bus stop within the Scheme Area; or
vi) exempt from the requirements of Part II, Regulation 3 of the Public Service
Vehicle Accessibility Regulations 2000 (SI 1970 of 2000), by virtue of
according with Part II, Regulation 4(1)(f) of those Regulations (vehicle
being over 20 years old and not used to provide a local service or a
scheduled service for more than 20 days in any calendar year, hereafter
referred to as a "heritage vehicle"). However any operator of such a service
MUST gain the permission from WMCA to use any of facilities specifically
provided for this agreement;
vii) any service that has an allocated stop within the scheme area but also
does not have any registered stops within a two Kilometre straight line
distance outside of the scheme boundary and is operated using a vehicle
that meets the legal requirements of a coach.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk