News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Service Changes - October 22nd 2017.

Started by 2206, September 01, 2017, 05:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 18, 2017, 07:55:17 PM
Yes but that was years ago, why not try it to Stourbridge and give it a reasonable go to see if it works.

I've answered that the first time you asked

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 18, 2017, 07:59:21 PM
I don't remember asking @Tony !

Just noticed your reply, but didn't notice it originally as it is incorrectly quoted.

So it has to be commercially viable for a night route to be operated, so there is virtually no chance of any more night routes. Very surprised that Wolverhampton (being a city) has never been given a night route.

Will be interesting to see in the future if Network West Midlands ever subsidise some night routes.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

Quote from: Jack on September 18, 2017, 07:28:31 PM
I agree with you. People have jobs and places to be, no one expects to do long diversions causing delays.

You are right about cyclists, so annoying, they hog the whole lane, cause a tailback leading to more pollution and horrid air. They think they own the road! But seriously is someone taking the p*ss with this event or what??  ;)

I blame the idiot who organised this for delays.

They are pains in the backsides who deserve to shots on sight.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 18, 2017, 08:46:50 PM
They are pains in the backsides who deserve to shots on sight.

Well it is ridiculous, for example the 9 will be non stop Stourbridge to Birmingham, the 276 will not serve Wollescote, Pedmore or Norton and if you decide to go from Stourbridge Junction to Birmingham on the train, only the Rufford Road car park will be open meaning if you are disabled you will have a very long work to the station.

I wonder who gave permisiion for this to happen?

the trainbasher

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 18, 2017, 08:53:32 PM
Well it is ridiculous, for example the 9 will be non stop Stourbridge to Birmingham, the 276 will not serve Wollescote, Pedmore or Norton and if you decide to go from Stourbridge Junction to Birmingham on the train, only the Rufford Road car park will be open meaning if you are disabled you will have a very long work to the station.

I wonder who gave permisiion for this to happen?

Its all organised by Birmingham Council.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 18, 2017, 08:54:57 PM
Its all organised by Birmingham Council.

Well that says it all, lets hope the cyclists don't have any problem negotiating all the rubbish bags, and sorry but Dudley council are just as bad if they have allowed the streets to be used like this.

Let's just hope nobody looses there life through emergency vehicles having to take diversion routes??

the trainbasher

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 18, 2017, 08:57:52 PM
Well that says it all, lets hope the cyclists don't have any problem negotiating all the rubbish bags, and sorry but Dudley council are just as bad if they have allowed the streets to be used like this.

Let's just hope nobody looses there life through emergency vehicles having to take diversion routes??

I feel sorry for some of the villiages in Worcestershire. No access to them at all!

Westy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 18, 2017, 08:18:40 PM
Just noticed your reply, but didn't notice it originally as it is incorrectly quoted.

So it has to be commercially viable for a night route to be operated, so there is virtually no chance of any more night routes. Very surprised that Wolverhampton (being a city) has never been given a night route.

Will be interesting to see in the future if Network West Midlands ever subsidise some night routes.

Didnt Wolves have its own night network a few years back?

I remember the 51n timetable.

It was a half past 11 journey from Walsall to Bloxwich(which survives as the last 302 up to Lower Farm thesedays!),  which returned from Bloxwich to Birmingham, then all the other journeys ran Brum to Walsall.

Did Walsall run it or Perry Barr?

Walsall1955

At one time service 51N was operated by Midland Red West:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/5532796949/in/photolist-r1Ytv8-dng1XQ-UngUGC-qmq7es-9qV2LR

There was proposed, in 1986, to operate Summer 1987 onwards, an all night service on 966 via Walsall to Wolverhampton.
In the event the proposed Summer time all night journeys were deleted before actually operated.

Some years prior to deregulation some night services for Walsall were once proposed, applcation was made to the Traffic Commissioners, but the application withdrawn following Taxi driver objections.

Mike K

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 18, 2017, 07:55:17 PM
Yes but that was years ago, why not try it to Stourbridge and give it a reasonable go to see if it works.

Even historically when a much larger night service network existed, all of the services were set up so they used just a single vehicle. That meant a lot of services finishing short of their daytime terminus - 9N, 12N, 45N and 63N being just a few examples. Clearly they're only just about commercially viable  using just the one bus and that looks to have been the case for years.

fleetline6477

Years back when WMT / TWN operated a network of Night Service am I remembering correctly that

1. the North bound night services 16N, 51N started from Five Ways Island

2. all Night services operated from the same depot?

Steveminor

Petes travel night network started with 2 services the 58n & the 5n which were subsidised alongside TWM commercial night network. This led to head to head competition for night buses & eventually TWM withdrew all Birmingham night services, however they kept a night service presence in Wolverhampton with doormen on the buses due to on bus incidents( which is why Petes weren't interested in Wolverhampton & why they were eventually withdrawn).
The Birmingham routes were operated as 1 bus per route to keep them profitable several different things were tried where more than one bus was on certain routes but these experiments failed to generate sufficient revenue to sustain them. Except for the 9N which at one point was busy enough to warrant a 15 minute service, however as I said before it never carried enough beyond Halesowen.

winston

Quote from: Westy on September 18, 2017, 09:21:17 PM
Didnt Wolves have its own night network a few years back?

Yes I think they had the 901 / 902 / 903 / 904 & poss 256N. They  ran Fri & Sat nights aimed at people coming back from a night out, I seem to remember they charged a flat fare & each bus carried a member of door staff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk