News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Mayoral Elections 4/5/17 transport manifestos

Started by BK63 YWP, May 02, 2017, 12:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

Having a look at some of the "plans" that the two major parties have planned over the next 3 years for public transport. I find some of the plans abit like a proposal rather than a pledge, mainly around the reopening of certain lines of railway and "making operators purchase newer vehicles yet lower fares"

Will the new mayors make a tfl type structure and introduce one livery that must be adopted with minor changes to indicate operators?
If they follow tfl policies that make every route contractable meaning that for example Diamond's 16 when it goes up for renewal must be euro 6 buses (has diamond got any euro 6 buses barring the streetlight?)

Also asking operator mainly the smaller ones to adopt newer more emission friendly buses and installing more Wi-Fi into buses surely more expensive.

Making more coaches available for overcrowded trains on an already over crowded rail network (Surely New Street is running at more than capacity?)

With tfwm taking over the local side of the rail franchise at the end of the year where are they going to find the extra trains when even London Midland are struggling to source them.

Judging by the state of the rail industry today I believe that the Beeching Act has cost the tax payer more today (with lines since closed being reopened)

Birmingham's infrastructure is struggling to cope hence NX trying to make services more reliable by splitting routes. The M5/6 when closed or roadworks are occurring which pushing cars onto the A34, A38, City Centre, Birmingham New Road etc which barely struggle to cope peak times with normal traffic. The two manifestos state to try and open the M6 Toll for free  to help with vehicles bypassing Birmingham. How much is that going to cost.

Looking at these manifestos where are they going to get the money from to implement them.

Opinions please

The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

karl724223

All full of bullshit
Promises they can't keep
I think old rail lines should be looked at being reopened either by train tram or busways only
Tax payers picking up the bill if it all goes wrong

the trainbasher

Rail to Brierley Hill/Dudley is a must. It'll certainly make my life easier should I wish to travel somewhere by rail

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

Quote from: Chris on May 02, 2017, 12:07:17 PM
Having a look at some of the "plans" that the two major parties have planned over the next 3 years for public transport. I find some of the plans abit like a proposal rather than a pledge, mainly around the reopening of certain lines of railway and "making operators purchase newer vehicles yet lower fares"

The thing is these 'plans' and 'pledges' are projects that are either already underway, or will be happening in the near future anyway.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Roy

Well, we now have a Metro Mayor - Andy Street - so it'll be interesting to find out what he does. 

Sandy Lane

His £1 million pound Conservative election funding has found him a job for 3 years.

Looking forward to him massively improving public transport in Coventry.
Ps. Andy, Coventry can be found to the east of Birmingham heading towards Rugby.

Bob

With him being a Tory will it involves selling everything off that remains in public hands? Isn't that how they work?

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Sandy Lane on May 07, 2017, 05:26:29 PM
Ps. Andy, Coventry can be found to the east of Birmingham heading towards Rugby.

Give him chance, someone'll have to sit him down & explain what buses, trams & trains are first!

Tony

Quote from: Sandy Lane on May 07, 2017, 05:26:29 PMPs. Andy, Coventry can be found to the east of Birmingham heading towards Rugby.

At least he is from the West Midlands so does know the area, not some chancer looking for a new job because his current one in Brussells is coming to an end

karl724223

Quote from: Tony on May 08, 2017, 07:38:15 PM
At least he is from the West Midlands so does know the area, not some chancer looking for a new job because his current one in Brussells is coming to an end
bet his knowledge on public transport is limited

Tony

Quote from: karl724223 on May 08, 2017, 07:42:21 PM
bet his knowledge on public transport is limited

He's just said his two first priorities are helping the homeless and trying to sort out the worst congestions spots. I can't criticise having those as priorities.

MW

What's wrong with Conservatives?

Selling everything off means less tax don't it?

Trident 4194

Guessing the majority of you are labour supporters??

Westy

Anyone looking forward to another 5 years of the vicar's daughter then? :(

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Westy on May 08, 2017, 09:38:35 PM
Anyone looking forward to another 5 years of the vicar's daughter then? :(

Only if she's spending it in the Strangeways Hotel....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk