News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The next West Midlands franchise

Started by Tony, December 09, 2015, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 29, 2017, 09:25:18 PM
@DJ98 It looks very good and much better from a safety prespective. For people working on the track, the more yellow the better as it is easier to spot than duller colours.

Yeah, that too, I just prefer it from a design standpoint. Either way though, you really should put safety over looks. Even if having less is still considered safe, I'd still rather have something even safer.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: DJ98 on October 29, 2017, 09:27:53 PM
Yeah, that too, I just prefer it from a design standpoint. Either way though, you really should put safety over looks. Even if having less is still considered safe, I'd still rather have something even safer.

It's not safer now though.  Look at any modern train at a distance and you will see the headlight a long time before even a full yellow front

DJ

Quote from: Tony on October 29, 2017, 10:12:20 PM
It's not safer now though.  Look at any modern train at a distance and you will see the headlight a long time before even a full yellow front

I know, but having a highly visible paint job *and* a high powered light is going to be the best option. There could be an issue with the lights or something similar, so it'd be harder to spot without the paint on there.

Even ignoring the safety aspect, it just looks nicer with a full yellow front.

andyr

if a problem with the headlight the  the train would be withdrawn from service till rectified the same as a bus....

DJ

Quote from: andyr on October 29, 2017, 11:54:32 PM
if a problem with the headlight the  the train would be withdrawn from service till rectified the same as a bus....

Yes, I know, but problems can happen while at speed, and it can take a short while for a 110 mph train to stop, during that time it'll be beneficial to have the yellow front end.

The Real 4778

Quote from: Tony on October 23, 2017, 03:55:12 PM
If it goes ahead, it is one of a couple of sites being looked at, it will be on the site of the old wagon works

Indeed, the foundations of the carriage servicing shed are long since built over!
Don't you start.

mikestone

According to correspondence on the ORR website the Coventry-Leamington service will be a cl.172.
;

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on November 07, 2017, 10:47:48 AM
According to correspondence on the ORR website the Coventry-Leamington service will be a cl.172.
;

There is on big benefit in using the 172, that is the Leamington based drivers are already Traction Trained on 172s, but are not Traction Trained on 153s.

The one thing that might cause a problem though is 172s are not yet cleared for the Coventry to Leamington line, so Network rail will need to get a move on with that one!

mikestone

Presumably no LM crews sign the route either, but the "joint managing director" of Warwickshire CC says Mr Grayling has told her everything is hunky-dory. Of course it may be on Sunday, but will it on Monday?

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on November 07, 2017, 06:25:57 PM
Presumably no LM crews sign the route either, but the "joint managing director" of Warwickshire CC says Mr Grayling has told her everything is hunky-dory. Of course it may be on Sunday, but will it on Monday?

about two days route learning for each driver due to the reversing procedures at both ends. It's not just into the platform, change ends. Leamington (LM) depot is probably the smallest in the company, so at least not many to do.

D10

Quote from: mikestone on November 07, 2017, 10:47:48 AM
;

Did I hear somewhere that the London Overground 172s are due to be transferred up to the Midlands from the Gospel Oak to Barking line, partly because of the extra units needed including at Kenilworth?

Roy

Quote from: D10 on November 07, 2017, 09:07:21 PM
Did I hear somewhere that the London Overground 172s are due to be transferred up to the Midlands from the Gospel Oak to Barking line, partly because of the extra units needed including at Kenilworth?

Yes, the Class 172/0s are due to be transferred in December 2018.

mikestone

A number of trains, particularly on Sunday afternoon are booked to cross at Kenilworth, previously not permitted in the train planning rules.

mikestone

Kenilworth train services now shown cancelled up to 15 December, but with driver trainers running M-Th.

Kevin

Quote from: mikestone on November 30, 2017, 11:15:37 PM
Kenilworth train services now shown cancelled up to 15 December, but with driver trainers running M-Th.

What spare units have they magically found to run these services then?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk