News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

The Green Bus

Started by MW, May 29, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: Kevin on October 04, 2017, 07:48:31 AM
Saw 929 out on the 848 at Scott Arms this morning
Nice to see (and hear) an Olympian still out and about earning it's keep because I assumed this had gone by now. Can't be economic to keep it going though surely?

Thandi also still run one for the SWB Academy services, it usually passes me going the other way down the Birmingham New Road most mornings, when I'm on my way into Wolverhampton.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Quote from: Kevin on October 04, 2017, 07:48:31 AM
Saw 929 out on the 848 at Scott Arms this morning
Nice to see (and hear) an Olympian still out and about earning it's keep because I assumed this had gone by now. Can't be economic to keep it going though surely?
929, P929RYO was on the 844 this evening, on Flaxley Road in Stechford by Stechford Retail Park at about 16:50, following the 11 route to Acocks Green and then going towards Sheldon, Wheatsheaf.
It also displays that it's also "available to the General Public". So how come they can still use 929 on public bus services, when it wouldn't be DDA compliant, is it registered as a coach?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Olympian 364 operated this afternoons 844.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

The bus on the 844 today, doesn't have a working destination display.
It was either, 101, 102, 103, or 105.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

TGB have been complaining, according to this persons comments, on the news that they can't afford to upgrade there vehicles?
https://en-gb.facebook.com/westmidlandsbususers/posts/1704287836299298

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2018, 10:00:27 AM
I cannot see any exclusions for infrequent services in the Solihull one - below is an extract...

1. SERVICE STANDARDS
1.1 ALL registered local bus services operating within the Scheme Area are required
to participate in the scheme, unless excluded due to being:
i) services which operate for the primary purpose of carrying schoolchildren
or students between their home and a school or Further Education College
at the start or finish of the day; or
ii) Community Transport or Ring and Ride services which are restricted to use
by pre-registered passengers only; or
iii) an excursion, tour service, inter-urban or other agreed non-scheduled
service with the exception of any Scheduled Coach Service which operates
outside the requirements to register as a local bus service under the
requirements contained in the Transport Act 1985; or
iv) any National Rail (whether procured directly by them or via a Train
Operating Company) which are not registered as a Local Service in
accordance with Section 6 of the Transport Act 1985. However any
operator of such a service MUST gain the permission from the WMCA to
use any of facilities specifically provided for this agreement; or
v) any Local Services operating within the Scheme Area but which do not stop
at any bus stop within the Scheme Area; or
vi) exempt from the requirements of Part II, Regulation 3 of the Public Service
Vehicle Accessibility Regulations 2000 (SI 1970 of 2000), by virtue of
according with Part II, Regulation 4(1)(f) of those Regulations (vehicle
being over 20 years old and not used to provide a local service or a
scheduled service for more than 20 days in any calendar year, hereafter
referred to as a "heritage vehicle"). However any operator of such a service
MUST gain the permission from WMCA to use any of facilities specifically
provided for this agreement;
vii) any service that has an allocated stop within the scheme area but also
does not have any registered stops within a two Kilometre straight line
distance outside of the scheme boundary and is operated using a vehicle
that meets the legal requirements of a coach.
"Matthew Reppin Mckenzie - Rotala are probably not going to be in business around the west Midlands soon anyway. Especially when these new clean air zone's come into force in solihull and Birmingham I can see lots of companies such as green bus, who were mentioned today on news feed. The owner said it if TfWM can't assist them with the conversions, they can't afford to. I would expect a lot more companies going bump or being bought out or moving to operate outside the west Midlands"

They don't enter Birmingham City Centre and only operate school services, so if it the Solihull scheme excludes school services what exactly would they be complaining about?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on January 22, 2018, 07:53:44 PM
They don't enter Birmingham City Centre and only operate school services, so if it the Solihull scheme excludes school services what exactly would they be complaining about?

Realising too late the false economy of buying a load of knackered old buses on the cheap from NX Bus.  ;D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 22, 2018, 08:29:28 PM
Realising too late the false economy of buying a load of knackered old buses on the cheap from NX Bus.  ;D

I'm not sure. I have had the details of the Wolverhampton one again today, and that also excludes school services and Private Hires

winston

Quote from: Stu on January 22, 2018, 08:29:28 PM

That's probably just the excuse for not being bothered to paint them   ::)

MW

Quote from: 2206 on January 22, 2018, 07:53:44 PM
"Matthew Reppin Mckenzie - Rotala are probably not going to be in business around the west Midlands soon anyway. Especially when these new clean air zone's come into force in solihull and Birmingham I can see lots of companies such as green bus, who were mentioned today on news feed. The owner said it if TfWM can't assist them with the conversions, they can't afford to. I would expect a lot more companies going bump or being bought out or moving to operate outside the west Midlands"

NX, Diamond, Johnson's, Central Buses & Claribels are the safe ones. This is going to hit the smaller indepedan operators with the clapped out Darts. It'll allow these operators to turn up the notch to compete against each other. For example, one of the companies I've just mentioned will have the means to compete with NX on routes like the 71E/72/966.

As I said before, I reckon Sunny/Social/DTS and any others could perhaps join forces and compete on the 11, as that seems to be unaffected. That's what I'd do if I was one of these companies. Make a proper brand and slap £2 flat fares or something similar all over the buses. With the revenue, eventually invest in better stuff to compete with NX.

Quote from: MW on January 22, 2018, 10:09:21 PM
NX, Diamond, Johnson's, Central Buses & Claribels are the safe ones. This is going to hit the smaller indepedan operators with the clapped out Darts. It'll allow these operators to turn up the notch to compete against each other. For example, one of the companies I've just mentioned will have the means to compete with NX on routes like the 71E/72/966.

As I said before, I reckon Sunny/Social/DTS and any others could perhaps join forces and compete on the 11, as that seems to be unaffected. That's what I'd do if I was one of these companies. Make a proper brand and slap £2 flat fares or something similar all over the buses. With the revenue, eventually invest in better stuff to compete with NX.
Igo are safe as well.

New school services for September 2018 - July 2019 are now on there website.
Quote from: Stu on December 29, 2016, 07:47:23 AM
The bridge on Lincoln Road. Metrobuses used to get under, if they went down the middle of the road. Perhaps the height restriction has changed since then, but I used to get the 30 every day, the usual allocation was Metrobuses until it was initially withdrawn and replaced with the S3.
Looking at it as well there will be deckers going under the Lincoln Road bridge in Acocks Green from September as they've routed there 883 under it.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

winston

Quote from: MW on January 22, 2018, 10:09:21 PM

They'll simply just teminate existing services early or just move on to other routes/areas that operate outside of the AQPS Emission Zones.

Eric Shaw

The latest fleetlist on the Green Bus website makes interesting reading. Where have all the ex NXWM Volvos gone?

Quote from: Eric Shaw on January 24, 2018, 10:51:22 AM
The latest fleetlist on the Green Bus website makes interesting reading. Where have all the ex NXWM Volvos gone?
They haven't gone anywhere, ex NX 4044 was on the 843 on Monday.
Thats not a new fleetlist, its been up for some time. They've never added the Presidents to that fleetlist.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Kevin2017

Yes they did add the volvo's the list, not sure why they have removed them and shrunk the list for a select few of buses!!

DJ

Quote from: Tony on January 22, 2018, 08:44:10 PM
I'm not sure. I have had the details of the Wolverhampton one again today, and that also excludes school services and Private Hires

Would I be right in thinking this would exclude Travel Express and Select, and possibly Banga too from the city centre unless they can afford to upgrade?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk