News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Taking photographs when on Centro's property

Started by Tony, October 13, 2014, 08:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

To clarify the position of people who want to photograph buses on Centro's bus stations here is the official policy confirmed by Centro

Just to explain what the procedure is, members of the public who would like to take photographs on the bus station, need to contact Centro HO in writing to ask for permission for them to attend a site, so they can take their photographs. The reason for this is because Centro operate a rigorous Health and Safety policy at stations, the permission form outlines this, and makes it clear to the individual what they must do in order to be compliant and safe while on our sites. This protects the member of the public and ourselves as bus stations can be hazardous and activity like this can be a risk which we must make sure we mitigate.

Once they receive a letter back from HO they can attend site, sign in, and receive a site brief from the Supervisors and be provided with clear instruction on where they can and cannot be for safety reasons (generally this would be in the carriageway with moving vehicles)

We are happy to accommodate members of the public for this activity, but staff will not permit photography unless they see evidence that the procedure has been followed and that they sign in first with us so we can instruct and ensure their safety

JoNi

This edict appears to have been issued by a faceless individual, who I bet wouldn't want to see photos I take to see the light of day e.g. Long queue out of Coventry Pool Meadow travel centre caused by insufficient staff on duty to meet the needs of customers!

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Tony on October 13, 2014, 08:04:05 PM
Just to explain what the procedure is, members of the public who would like to take photographs on the bus station, need to contact Centro HO in writing to ask for permission for them to attend a site, so they can take their photographs. The reason for this is because Centro operate a rigorous Health and Safety policy at stations, the permission form outlines this, and makes it clear to the individual what they must do in order to be compliant and safe while on our sites. This protects the member of the public and ourselves as bus stations can be hazardous and activity like this can be a risk which we must make sure we mitigate.

Once they receive a letter back from HO they can attend site, sign in, and receive a site brief from the Supervisors and be provided with clear instruction on where they can and cannot be for safety reasons (generally this would be in the carriageway with moving vehicles)

We are happy to accommodate members of the public for this activity, but staff will not permit photography unless they see evidence that the procedure has been followed and that they sign in first with us so we can instruct and ensure their safety

Complete & utter c*ck.

I'll clarify that statement. If Centro want to cover themselves, that's fair enough. A reference & quotation of the relevant bye law would suffice - IF such a bye law exists, but instead we are insulted with this verbal diarrhoea.

I've NEVER seen a 'normal' photographer / mobile 'phone photographer challenged - & I never will (also bear in mind that a former engagement of mine meant spending extensive time in every Centro Bus station observing events). Nope, the only ones EVER challenged with this crap is the poor unfortunate crank*, who is usually minding their own business, being the least inconsiderate or offensive to other facility users, stood behind a fence etc - which brings me on to another point:

What is the remotest usefulness of a site brief if the photographer is by definition restricted to areas made freely available to members of the public without prior recourse to a safety brief? (quote: "where they cannot be for safety reasons, generally this would be in the carriageway with moving vehicles"). This by deduction must mean that public areas of Centro property are unsafe. Thought, are you generally standing still when taking a photograph? People must be told, DON'T stand still on Centro property as you are a danger to yourself & others.

Never mind. Crap such as this does have its uses. I love taking pictures by W*** B******* Bus Station & being accosted by a Centro representative, who waves their arms & threatens vile retribution should I fail to cease forthwith, such as removal by Security & questioning by the Police. But not half as much as I love informing said jackbooted waste of dna that I'm not actually standing on Centro property, so any alleged bye law they could quote** would have zero effect on public land & that if they fail to desist in interacting with me as if I'm something that their Dog left them as a present on their living room carpet, then it will be ME summoning the police.

* Yes, there are the odd individuals in this category that clearly shouldn't be allowed out on their own, you've seen them & I've seen them. This odd behaviour however does not grade them as any better/worse than any other section of the public.

** He couldn't. Strange, that.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on October 14, 2014, 10:09:36 AM
so any alleged bye law they could quote** would have zero effect on public land

Considering our lawful behaviour on Centro property is bounded by relevant bye laws, you'd think they would be relatively easily accessible, particularly in todays electronic age. However, a quick search of Centro's website fails to locate said information, despite the clear statement on this particular page:

https://www.centro.org.uk/freedom-of-information/available-information/

Quote: "Centro has an ongoing commitment to make as much information available on our website as possible."

Draw your own conclusions.....

the trainbasher

Already done a freedom of information request. There is no byelaws prohibiting photography on bus stations

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: the trainbasher on October 14, 2014, 11:22:34 AM
Already done a freedom of information request. There is no byelaws prohibiting photography on bus stations

As per:

so any alleged bye law they could quote**

By the way, the same applies (or not, as is the case) with TfL, another bunch of make-it-up-as-you-go-along Nazis.

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on October 14, 2014, 11:22:34 AM

Much that I think it is a bit of a farce if you are in the normal public area, who mentioned a bye-law?

Any land owner can restrict whatever goes on their land, and only allow people they want to allow onto their land without any bye-laws.

My problem with it is the same as Dave's. They haven't put a notice anywhere, either in the Bus Stations themselves or on the internet telling people they don't want them taking photographs

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Tony on October 14, 2014, 12:58:29 PM
Much that I think it is a bit of a farce if you are in the normal public area, who mentioned a bye-law?

That would be me.

Quote from: Tony on October 14, 2014, 12:58:29 PM
Any land owner can restrict whatever goes on their land, and only allow people they want to allow onto their land without any bye-laws.

Therein lies the problem of interpretation. As I mentioned earlier, no Centro bod would try it on with someone taking a group shot or a selfie on their mobile, imagine the p.r. sh!tstorm if they got heavy with some 14 year old girl for doing so. So therefore I can only surmise the targetting of cranks by centro to be prejudicial. Also, as you mention, with no posted notice, just how is anyone supposed to know what is or isn't permitted whilst on the premises? - or to what level they're permitted to punish or prevent you doing so? This is why I mentioned bye laws, the do's, dont's & penalties are clearly outlined - although rarely easily available for Joe Public's consultation - try it at your nearest Rail Station for example.

For all we know, all visitors to Centro premises may be required to hop on one leg whilst waving both hands holding an unicycle above their head until they've signed the H&S waver, then be beholden to shave one testicle & paint the other dayglo yellow, failure to do so being punishable by death by butternut squash. Utterly ridiculous? yes - But without a clearly available statement in writing, who's to knowfor definite?

So, the ball's in Centro's court. As they state, "Centro has an ongoing commitment to make as much information available on our website as possible." So, I expect to see a FULL & DEFINITIVE list by the weekend & a poster in EVERY Bus Station by the end of the Month (I think that's sufficient notice) that will be applied fully & rigorously to all users.

... Until then, they can go & whistle.

Dutsey

I politely got asked to not take from Merry Hill Bus Station but was aloud around the perimeter.

Tony how much notice do you have to give Centro?

Stu

Do passengers need permission from Centro to stand in their bus stations too?  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Dutsey on October 15, 2014, 08:20:33 PM
I politely got asked to not take from Merry Hill Bus Station but was aloud around the perimeter.

Tony how much notice do you have to give Centro?

From what I gather they give you a permanently valid letter which you show each time. You only have to apply for the letter once. I have been offered one but have so far not taken it up!

windy miller

Quote from: JoNi on October 13, 2014, 09:57:16 PM
This edict appears to have been issued by a faceless individual, who I bet wouldn't want to see photos I take to see the light of day e.g. Long queue out of Coventry Pool Meadow travel centre caused by insufficient staff on duty to meet the needs of customers!

Or the usual queue for the 529 away from wolves on a weekday peak period?.... >:( I can empathise with the H&S aspect, as this should include the possibility of causing  obstructions ie the use of tripods for example, as is the case with national rail, but the idea of posting prohibition notices realy is  farcical and would suggest that they have something to hide?  I may often be seen carrying a camera at a bus station but I would only take shots from a pedestrianised area,  (eg opp walsall bus stn ).... 8) 
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

So lets get this right... you have to send off a letter wait for a reply then turn up on a specific day and time to then be briefed by a supervisor in order to take photographs..

How come then although it is 'Against the law' you can walk round Dudley bus station smoking weed till your head pops off and no body says a dickie bird!! You can stand in Dudley wherever you want and inflict your smoke on everyone else and nobody does a thing

They even do it in Wolverhampton!

Do you need written permission to photograph a smoker smoking in a non smoking area?
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 4006 on October 17, 2014, 12:13:23 PM
So lets get this right... you have to send off a letter wait for a reply then turn up on a specific day and time to then be briefed by a supervisor in order to take photographs..

How come then although it is 'Against the law' you can walk round Dudley bus station smoking weed till your head pops off and no body says a dickie bird!! You can stand in Dudley wherever you want and inflict your smoke on everyone else and nobody does a thing

Do you need written permission to photograph a smoker smoking in a non smoking area?

Makes me sick to the back teeth.

It seems the law is only for law abiding citizens.

These pieces of shit who smoke around these stations and such like wouldn't be approached for safety reasons, carrying a knife and such, but instead of doing something against the true law breakers, they'd rather imposition a rule against people who rarely break the law and are easy to apprehend. Typical Politically Correctness gone mad again. What has this country turned into?

Personally this photographing rule shouldn't even exist, why not spend the money on catching criminals which use Centros property for drug deals etc? I've seen a bag of illegal swapped hands more then one occasion on Centros turf. Reported it andthey say "Sir, please fill out this form with your name and address and details of what happened"

Pahaha. Screw you.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 24, 2014, 12:42:50 PM
Quote from: 4006 on October 17, 2014, 12:13:23 PM

Makes me sick to the back teeth.

It seems the law is only for law abiding citizens.

These pieces of shit who smoke around these stations and such like wouldn't be approached for safety reasons, carrying a knife and such, but instead of doing something against the true law breakers, they'd rather imposition a rule against people who rarely break the law and are easy to apprehend. Typical Politically Correctness gone mad again. What has this country turned into?

Personally this photographing rule shouldn't even exist, why not spend the money on catching criminals which use Centros property for drug deals etc? I've seen a bag of illegal swapped hands more then one occasion on Centros turf. Reported it andthey say "Sir, please fill out this form with your name and address and details of what happened"

Pahaha. Screw you.

Well said LS
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk