News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva Stafford Services

Started by C K / S I, February 17, 2014, 04:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Downgrading from deckers is not a good sign. The 61 plate pulsars were bought for the 60/825 & so Volvos three years older and anything goes on the 60 now as they aren't inter worked anymore isn't a sign of success. I wouldn't imagine the 74 & 825 are enough to make a depot profitable. There's also been a fair few breakdowns on the 825 in recent months

Grinder

2206, I assumed wrongly that because they are now at Wigston that's were they came from.

Bob, I agree that 2 routes even if profitable are unlikely to make the whole garage profitable. I wasn't aware that the 825 had so many breakdowns, but going on your assertion in previous posts that the 58 Volvo's are the best that Cannock has, I can only assume that all of the Cannock routes are suffering from many breakdowns.

It strikes me that if Cannock closes, Stafford will be really out on a limb.  Telford could continue with the 5 interworked with town service 6 and I suppose Tamworth could take over the 825 but who takes on the 74/75 and the remaining town services unless of course the Council does a complete about turn and subsidises them to allow someone like Select or D&G to take them on.

Bob

Arriva might not be that bothered about  keeping them? Might sell the garage and routes with it. The Stafford network is half dead anyway

Pete50492

Quote from: Grinder on March 14, 2017, 04:42:09 PM
All the talk about Arriva pulling out of Cannock and Stafford is to say the least intriguing.  I don't know Cannock but if you look at Stafford there are basically 3 types of service, Town - currently run by Arriva with Select on 2 services, Rural to the North and East of the town run by D & G and Interurban run by Arriva and First Potteries.  Certainly D & G are probably in a position now to operate the town services, Select are I think to small and would need big investment in buses and drives as they only run Monday to Friday.  The Rural ones could remain as they are as could the Stafford-Telford run by Arriva and the Stafford-Hanley run by First Potteries.  But this is the intriguing question what would happen to the 74/75 Stafford-Cannock and 825 Stafford-Lichfield run from Cannock Garage.  These three services, I would suspect are actually profitable.  Loadings during the morning and afternoon rush hours are always good, in fact standing room only on some and a fair load on most services throughout the day.  Any thoughts guys 'cause I haven't a clue.

Grinder's point about D & G and Select is exactly how I see it....As for the 74/75 or the 825 there's no reason why one of them couldn't be joined to the 5 to create a Telford to Cannock or Lichfield service run out of Telford. Likewise if NXWM extended say the 10 into Cannock there's perhaps no reason why this couldn't be joined to the 74/75 or even an extension of the X51 to create a platinum service into Stafford? Also perhaps Midland Classic could run the 825?

woody38

Quote from: Pete50492 on March 18, 2017, 09:08:07 AM
Grinder's point about D & G and Select is exactly how I see it....As for the 74/75 or the 825 there's no reason why one of them couldn't be joined to the 5 to create a Telford to Cannock or Lichfield service run out of Telford. Likewise if NXWM extended say the 10 into Cannock there's perhaps no reason why this couldn't be joined to the 74/75 or even an extension of the X51 to create a platinum service into Stafford? Also perhaps Midland Classic could run the 825?
Timekeeping is the main problem when u extend routes, the longer they are the harder it is to keep to a timetable.

Steveminor

There is also a limit to how long a route can bd & still operate under domestic drivers hours. If its too long it would have to use tacho.

Grinder

SI did you look at 75 service via Penkridge, it fills in the gaps in the 74 and there are 2 runs from Penkridge to Cannock that link with the 76 SD to Wolverhampton service.

Tony

The train, changing at Rugeley is a lot cheaper than a taxi as well

Bob

I thought you'd left and wasn't coming back lol?

Bob

Oh ok.  I was just basing it on about  what you said when you left forum before mate 😊

Bob

The biggest question I got is how much more managing the decline in cannock can arriva do before they do one

the trainbasher

I see @Bob and his hatred of Cannock is still live...

No need for it at all..

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Bob

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 28, 2017, 09:47:21 PM
I see @Bob and his hatred of Cannock is still live...

No need for it at all..

Hatred? Mate its a fact they've cut and cut and the Sapphire route upgrade was an epic failure, new buses brought in moved out and a fleet on the slide....By stating that's managing decline that isn't showing hatred it's stating a point.  If you don't like it don't read it and go and bash a train yeah?

Busman Jamie

Why? SPD'S do alot of town work as do cadets, commanders and sometimes pulsars

Adam 404

Arriva appears to be due some competition...

PD1098350/10 Registered
B P BROWN TRAVEL LTD
Route: Stafford, Gaol Square to Doxey
Service number: 12
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 11 Sep 2017

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk