News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Megabus

Started by bwsau cymru, August 25, 2013, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwsau cymru

So I noticed that there isn't a tread dedicated to megabus!

So here is some news then.......

Stagecoach have been recruiting a lot of drivers lately at Rugby and will continue for a while. They are to start shortly some new Europian rooutes into Germany and now to the south of france.

Also (only rumour this though) Megabus will have its own station at Heathrow airport at the new terminal 2 building and there services will serve t2 only. this is due to start when t2 opens and one service will be in competition with national Express's 210 service. but with fares from £1 and nx starting at £15 its gonna be war me thinks!
campaigning for better transport for all

YW4355

And a lot of the recruited drivers at Rugby have been ex NXWM drivers, who have left due to NXs hostile behavior towards its drivers.

Also tthe rumour is that Stagecoach are looking at land in Longbridge for a new depot....
Dave

Ex BC driver

Quote from: YW4355 on August 26, 2013, 12:45:13 PM
And a lot of the recruited drivers at Rugby have been ex NXWM drivers, who have left due to NXs hostile behavior towards its drivers.

Also tthe rumour is that Stagecoach are looking at land in Longbridge for a new depot....

I've heard that rumour about Longbridge. Another rumour was Hill Top

winston

Quote from: Ex BC driver on August 26, 2013, 11:44:03 PM
Quote from: YW4355 on August 26, 2013, 12:45:13 PM

I've heard that rumour about Longbridge. Another rumour was Hill Top

Does the rumour suggest that are Stagecoach are looking to set up a bus operation in the West Midlands in competition with NX?

JoNi

Is it an out of town Megabus site that people can be dropped off at which is also close to the motorways?

dayvid

Longbridge and Hill Top are just bogus, Stagecoach wont be setting up shop.
If stagecoach wanted to set up shop in Birmingham dont you think they would of done it by now????
The way things are set up in the West Midlands is too National Express biased, travelcards tickets ticket outlets etc etc etc, it would be a costly move for them to do this.
However if they could buy NXWM that would be a different case.
As for megabus the Rugby depot has a good coverage area over the west midlands and Longbridge is hardly central to the motorway network.

Megabus dont do Airports, megabus is a low cost travelling method and Airports are risky business if there're delays.
National Express already have a dominant force and share of all the major Airports so once again a waste of money methinks.

winston

Quote from: dayvid on September 03, 2013, 11:30:08 AM
Longbridge and Hill Top are just bogus, Stagecoach wont be setting up shop.
If stagecoach wanted to set up shop in Birmingham dont you think they would of done it by now????
The way things are set up in the West Midlands is too National Express biased, travelcards tickets ticket outlets etc etc etc, it would be a costly move for them to do this.
However if they could buy NXWM that would be a different case.
As for megabus the Rugby depot has a good coverage area over the west midlands and Longbridge is hardly central to the motorway network.

Megabus dont do Airports, megabus is a low cost travelling method and Airports are risky business if there're delays.
National Express already have a dominant force and share of all the major Airports so once again a waste of money methinks.

Agreed Dayvid, the only way will see Stagecoach in Birmingham is if they were ever to manage to get there hands on NX group or NXWM. Other than that I agree anything else is unlikely as they have had numerous opportunities in the past.

Valandil

Quote from: dayvid on September 03, 2013, 11:30:08 AMMegabus dont do Airports

They do Birmingham Airport!
But yeah, don't worry, I know what you mean.

Ex BC driver

There was an incident earlier on Buckingham Palace Road involving a Plaxton interdeck

Steveminor

I too think it is highly unlikely we will see stagecoach buses invading the west midlands, but I disagree with the thoughts that they couldn't beat NX. On the contrary I believe if anyone has the chance of beating NXWM it's stagecoach. The resources they can call upon would just simply overwhelm NX who would have no way of defending themselves. NXWM does use their travelcards & larger network than current rivals to remain dominant but if stagecoach (or anyone else for that matter) came in mob handed & covered at least 75% of the network almost instantly with a low on bus day or weekly ticket then the Travelcard would start to lose its attraction. Without this "protection" NXWM would very soon be in trouble.
Just remember the 80s/90s when the Travelcard was not as strong as it is now, tame valley, your bus & bcc gave them a serious run for their money, so much so that they compelled to buy out the first two.

Tony

Quote from: Steveminor on September 18, 2013, 02:45:27 PM
I too think it is highly unlikely we will see stagecoach buses invading the west midlands, but I disagree with the thoughts that they couldn't beat NX. On the contrary I believe if anyone has the chance of beating NXWM it's stagecoach. The resources they can call upon would just simply overwhelm NX who would have no way of defending themselves. NXWM does use their travelcards & larger network than current rivals to remain dominant but if stagecoach (or anyone else for that matter) came in mob handed & covered at least 75% of the network almost instantly with a low on bus day or weekly ticket then the Travelcard would start to lose its attraction. Without this "protection" NXWM would very soon be in trouble.
Just remember the 80s/90s when the Travelcard was not as strong as it is now, tame valley, your bus & bcc gave them a serious run for their money, so much so that they compelled to buy out the first two.

So where would Stagecoach get the 1200 buses and 3000 drivers to cover 75% of the West Midlands network from then

old50niner

I have visited Stagecoach premises at both Rugby and Northampton.  Yes, they are a class  act in their own right.   I was also driving for Tame Valley when they were shut down.   That was another time and place in history.   I agree with Tony, and don't believe that other companies have the heart, or the muscle to take on NXB.   A formidable organisation in the Midlands!

Rob H

There was a Tri-Axle Megabus Coach parked in the Bus Stop opposite the Bill & Bull Pub just past Yardley Swan with its hazard lights flashing not sure if it brokedown or was waiting there I don't think there was any passengers on it couldn't get fleet number or reg as I was passing on 4895 on the 900E at the time
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Tony on September 18, 2013, 03:04:11 PM

So where would Stagecoach get the 1200 buses and 3000 drivers to cover 75% of the West Midlands network from then

Moreover, even if Stagecoach set up a huge pop-up operation, it would still need to build up a reputation against a well-organised NXWM which knows what it is doing.

It's not Stagecoach's style anyway - they haven't taken on First in Manchester, for example.  Stagecoach are very good at seizing opportunities that present themselves, but I don't see any such opportunities in the West Midlands.

PM

Quote from: Justin Tyme on September 18, 2013, 08:19:56 PM
Quote from: Tony on September 18, 2013, 03:04:11 PM

Moreover, even if Stagecoach set up a huge pop-up operation, it would still need to build up a reputation against a well-organised NXWM which knows what it is doing.

It's not Stagecoach's style anyway - they haven't taken on First in Manchester, for example.  Stagecoach are very good at seizing opportunities that present themselves, but I don't see any such opportunities in the West Midlands.

Well theyve bought one of firsts main competitors in the shape of Bluebird and they have taken on first big style in south yorkshire so yes it is their style and fair play to them for improving services where first have miserably failed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk