News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

London Midland Trains

Started by Tony, September 22, 2012, 08:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discodave

I agree but look at the cost to the taxpayer of franchise retendering (west cost fiasco) need to put something in to recoup the costs from the failing operator if the franchise was torn up due to bad performance.

andy

Quote from: Discodave on October 10, 2012, 02:57:43 PM
I agree but look at the cost to the taxpayer of franchise retendering (west cost fiasco) need to put something in to recoup the costs from the failing operator if the franchise was torn up due to bad performance.

Agreed, but I was referring to the review that will now be held as a result of the WCML fiasco regarding the franchising process in general, I would prefer that they abandon the whole process and start again throughout the rail network, not just for the WCML bids.

We are already going to be out of pocket as all of the current franchisees will now be handed temporary extensions on their own terms while the franchising system is investigated. They would be better off calling a halt to the whole thing full stop until we have a system that is targeted to deliver on service and not just premium to the treasury. This is an ideal opportunity to shake the whole thing up instead of papering over the cracks.

Bob

The only way to sort our horrendous railways out is to RENATIONALISE the whole thing!

windy miller

Actually had a reply from LM today.... The must think we are all idiots... Their excuses were (1) Long Term illness.... (2) Death....and (3) Driver's leaving the company.... the words 'Roster'...Overtime hours...Pay rates...Ect??.. Nowhere. The mail also suggests that you return your ticket in the event of a 30 minute delay... (presumably at your cost?)...what about the season ticket holders?..do they return THEIR tickets?....I hear some MP is (quote) " Keeping a close eye on the situation".....That'll be a BLIND one then I expect... >:( >:(
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on November 11, 2012, 05:13:54 PM
Actually had a reply from LM today.... The must think we are all idiots... Their excuses were (1) Long Term illness.... (2) Death....and (3) Driver's leaving the company.... the words 'Roster'...Overtime hours...Pay rates...Ect??.. Nowhere. The mail also suggests that you return your ticket in the event of a 30 minute delay... (presumably at your cost?)...what about the season ticket holders?..do they return THEIR tickets?....I hear some MP is (quote) " Keeping a close eye on the situation".....That'll be a BLIND one then I expect... >:( >:(

No, us season ticket holders only have to email a photocopy

sonic84

Quote from: danny on September 22, 2012, 05:44:06 PM
i dissagree it is an inspectors job to INSPECT i by my train tickets when i could quite easily jump the train and as i often see people doing it and not getting copped, why should i couth up for someone not doing their job properly and then some jobsworth getting a kick out of exploiting thier companys failings

This is one of my biggest frustrations.  Over the last year I have used the Cross City service between Selly Oak and Birmingham New Street every weekend.  I always buy I ticket from the station, but I can safely say not once has it been checked on the train.  Now, on a saturday morning it isn't usually a problem as in the morning there is normally someone there at the barriers to check the tickets, but on a saturday afternoon, about 4.30ish, its hit and miss.  There is absolutely no incentive to buy one.

Two years a go, I used to do the Selly Oak to Birmingham international trip by train Monday to Friday.  Now, on the 0733 train from New Street to International, I can safely say only once I did have my train pass checked on a London Midland train.  Now, if your travelling from Selly Oak, there is no need to pass through the barriers at New Street, so it is effectively a free journey for those who don't pay.

The one time I did have my pass checked, this lady didn't have a fair, and was simply charged the normal fare between Birmingham New Street an International.  It really annoyed me, as there is basically no incentive to  buy a ticket on a LM train.  What happened to the penalty fare?  Even Virgin checked tickets more often on that stretch of line than LM did.

midlandred2003

I know what you mean over the last 12 months I have been to every home match at the blues,travelling from rowley regis to bordesley and return,not once have me and my son had our tickets checked,it does make you feel like not bothering to buy a ticket at all.

vinh1000

Quote from: midlandred2003 on December 04, 2012, 12:45:20 PM
I know what you mean over the last 12 months I have been to every home match at the blues,travelling from rowley regis to bordesley and return,not once have me and my son had our tickets checked,it does make you feel like not bothering to buy a ticket at all.

same as well even Cross City Line
THE only time I generally see a ticket checked every time is when cross city goes outside WMPTE or snow hill lines (ie The Lakes or Shenstone) but often travelling not need a ticket
ALSO every weekend I noticed no barriers at all at New Street :P
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

tank90

In July time I was travelling to Coventry from Redditch. I took the Train from Redditch the Ticket office was closed for lunch and there was a small queue for the ticket machine so I boarded the train as the gaurd was at the Birmingham end of the train. He gets down to the Redditch with about 10 minutes to spare and stands on the platform printing tickets I choose not to get off and buy onr from him on the station. the train departs late due to him printing tickets on the platform, and he walks straight passed me twice with asking to see if I had a ticket or not. When I ask him for one Its may fault for not purchesing one earlier. Now when I said but your collegues always ask for tickets he said well I would expect you to buy one before boarding not wait till you were on the train. Now granted I could have waited at the ticket machine or got off and bought one off of him but its still his job to make sure everyone on the train had a ticket.

AS for the rest of LM's problems its not there fault. London Midland was always floored as Central Trains and Silver Link had drivers on different contracts and benifits and not all wanted to sing off the same hymn sheet so I was expecting it to happen before it has. And I dont think Network West Midlands would do any better of a job as that would still mean two operators the one for the rest of LM and then the one NWM appoint for the West Mids and it would cost more. What needs to happen is West Coast and some of London Midland needs to be put together as one franchise and look at how some of the routes could be added to other networks ie Blecthley to Bedford. and then that would pave the way for the much needed HS2 which should take out some UK internal flights from Manchester leeds down to London which in turn means more space in the London airports and no need to put one in the thames which would be liable to flooding and could flood London. which is no great hard ship as Birmingham would be a better place for the capital anyway!
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

Discodave

Now London Midland have been given a smacked bum over their train staff will we now see all trains run as promised or will it still be a joke and should they have had the franchise extended looks as if failure is rewarded again.  I know its Tonys line but I am sick of standing to Brum from Bloxwich and I am afraid its at various times.  I prefer the train being quicker and no changing like the bus but I may have to change (will mean good news for Tony as contributing to his wage rise)

Westy

Tomjusttom

The franchise Will have the planned extension.

On another note did anyone else hear someone moaning about the Cannock line (and the x51) on BBC WM on Thursday at about 1000?

Tony

Quote from: Tomjusttom on December 22, 2012, 04:21:58 PM
The franchise Will have the planned extension.

On another note did anyone else hear someone moaning about the Cannock line (and the x51) on BBC WM on Thursday at about 1000?

I didn't here anybody moaning about the X51, Just London Midland management's incompetance

tank90

To be fair to LM they were all ways going to have a problem, they should have ended all staff contracts and put them on new contracts rather than keep the old central trains and Silverlink contracts.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

Tony

Quote from: tank90 on December 22, 2012, 07:58:31 PM
To be fair to LM they were all ways going to have a problem, they should have ended all staff contracts and put them on new contracts rather than keep the old central trains and Silverlink contracts.

That wasn't the only moan.
The three first trains from hednesford used to be 6.08; 6.35 & 6:58. When these were replaced by just two at 6.08 and 6.51 they promised an extra carriage because of the withdrawal of a train, and good as gold the new 6.51 was 3 cars whereas the old 6.58 was two. From this timetable change the the 6.51 has been reduced back to two cars meaning people are now standing all the way from Landywood. Other services have also had a reduction in carriages. The 15:39 New Street to Rugeley has been reduced from 4 to 2 cars!

There is also a complete lack of fare collection as well at the moment. With no means of paying cash for a ticket at Hednesford, Cannock, Landywood, Bloxwich North & Bloxwich, and no means at all of buying a ticket at either Bloxwich or Landwood. The Conductors either not showing at all, or if they do they are unable to collect all fares because of sheer numbers, and on several days the barriers at New Street being unmanned and no protection at all at Walsall is it any wonder they cannot afford to pay their drivers the same as other companies?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk