News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Swift Card

Started by Stu, April 09, 2012, 11:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: clayderman on August 19, 2017, 07:02:58 PM
As do I. Paper tickets are much more convenient, imo - albeit not environmentally efficient. (Paper waste) - Hopefully the new ticket machines will sort out the problem with boarding time.

I find the current readers way too slow! It takes a toll on boarding time, as well; in the sense that the passenger gets impatient, and begins to "rub" their card onto the card reader, prolonging the time it takes to scan.

On a personal agenda, I wish those using the card readers board last, regardless of age (sorry). I know it's a silly/selfish thing to say, but I find (from my experience), they always block the doorway of the bus!
It does annoy me, especially when it's p*ssing down of rain. It annoys me when people start having a chat to the driver about where they need to get off at. Takes a decade for elderly people to scan it, they always shake them all over the place.

As do I. Paper tickets are much more convenient, imo - albeit not environmentally efficient. (Paper waste) - Hopefully the new ticket machines will sort out the problem with boarding time.

I find the current readers way too slow! It takes a toll on boarding time, as well; in the sense that the passenger gets impatient, and begins to "rub" their card onto the card reader, prolonging the time it takes to scan.

On a personal agenda, I wish those using the card readers board last, regardless of age (sorry). I know it's a silly/selfish thing to say, but I find (from my experience), they always block the doorway of the bus!
Thats very impatient and quite selfish, if you can't wait a minute or two, for everyone who was at the stop before you to board the bus before you.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on August 19, 2017, 07:14:21 PM
Thats very impatient and quite selfish, if you can't wait a minute or two, for everyone who was at the stop before you to board the bus before you.
What about when it's chucking down of rain and you get drenched because of the person infront of you who can't scan their smart card? I understand its impatient and selfish but I expect people to know how to use the bus network.

John

The new ticket scanners scan a lot faster than the current ones

CL

Quote from: 2206 on August 19, 2017, 07:14:21 PM
Well, it's only my opinion. And I understand that it's selfish, hence why I said "sorry".  ::)

I am merely expressing how I feel about people using card readers, vice paper tickets. Comparing the two modes of ticketing, paper tickets are definitely quicker; albeit being more susceptible to fraudulent behaviour (which I wholeheartedly do not endorse, obviously)... So when I happen to be in the situation where I am waiting for someone to scan their pass, while I have an opportunity to show the driver my paper pass, and swiftly 'brush' pass the other passenger, I would expect to have enough space in the doorway to do so. Which was what I was getting at about boarding quickly.

Quote from: John on August 19, 2017, 07:27:05 PM
The new ticket scanners scan a lot faster than the current ones

From my experience with the Diamond ones, they work swimmingly! Can't wait for them to be rolled out onto NX buses.  :D
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Jack

Quote from: clayderman on August 19, 2017, 07:41:11 PM.
From my experience with the Diamond ones, they work swimmingly! Can't wait for them to be rolled out onto NX buses.  :D
They're great! I've seen many customers happy on the Diamond 40 about how quick Diamonds new card readers are.

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Jack B on August 19, 2017, 07:47:37 PM
They're great! I've seen many customers happy on the Diamond 40 about how quick Diamonds new card readers are.

The Diamond ones are a lot better, what annoys me is half of the people have their bank card with their pass so it's unable to read the card. Also people who wait until they step on the bus to actually find their pass!

Jack

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on August 19, 2017, 08:21:44 PM
The Diamond ones are a lot better, what annoys me is half of the people have their bank card with their pass so it's unable to read the card. Also people who wait until they step on the bus to actually find their pass!
That's a pet hate for me. They need to organise themselves before they board.

Westy

The Diamond machines can do Qr codes can they?

When are Nx rolling their machines out to rest of the fleet?

GeminiFan1991

Quite relieved to hear the paper passes aren't going just yet.

Oddly I've noticed when Inspectors check the cards, the scanner they use often works quicker to validate the ticket !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

CL

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on August 19, 2017, 09:59:41 PM

Oddly I've noticed when Inspectors check the cards, the scanner they use often works quicker to validate the ticket !
Aren't the inspector scanners just NFC-enabled Android phones? ???
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Quote from: clayderman on August 19, 2017, 10:32:17 PM
Correct, they use phones, they don't use scanners @GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Westy on August 19, 2017, 09:32:34 PM
Yes Diamonds and Firsts new ticket machines can do QR codes.
With the new First Kernow ticket machines, a day/weekly ticket is issued, at the bottom of the day/weekly ticket is a QR code, when you next board a bus you scan it using the barcode scanner when you next board the bus and the ticket machine will either say valid or invalid with the expiry date of the ticket, very good idea, as that'd prevent people showing crumpled up out of date day savers to the driver and just walking on.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Westy on August 19, 2017, 09:32:34 PM

When are Nx rolling their machines out to rest of the fleet?

Yes, our Day/return/Week/monthly tickets printed from the machine now have QR codes. Much easier than checking every single date/vadility

Tony

Quote from: clayderman on August 19, 2017, 10:32:17 PM

They are, but with a special app written by parkeon which shows a lot more information than the publically available Swift card app available to anybody

Kevin

So I've been waiting 10 mins for the bus in town, bus stop is empty when I get there, queue builds up behind me with a number of people clutching paper passes and daysavers (in or out of date), and you want me to get on last when there's no seats left?
How about no
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk