News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Swift Card

Started by Stu, April 09, 2012, 11:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

domino.99

Sorry to bring back the topic but i'm really curious. Have the swift child regional travelcard been released yet?

Bryan

Am I alone in assuming NXWM have no intention of accepting any Swift card that allows travel on other bus company vehicles?

Considering Birmingham is supposed to be the second city in the UK, if this is the case, it does not bode well for public transport in the area. Surely in late 2014, with some smartphones able to bank a cheque just by taking an image of it, smartcards should be able to work on numerous operators vehicles, including the main service provider for the area.

Also, as NXWM only take exact change, it is getting increasingly difficult to obtain the required coinage for the occasional journey, even more so with the January 2015 price increase. Is it not about time they changed this policy and accept 'Pay as you go' Swift cards and/or bank contactless debit cards?

D10

Quote from: Bryan on December 07, 2014, 05:14:14 AM
Am I alone in assuming NXWM have no intention of accepting any Swift card that allows travel on other bus company vehicles?

Considering Birmingham is supposed to be the second city in the UK, if this is the case, it does not bode well for public transport in the area. Surely in late 2014, with some smartphones able to bank a cheque just by taking an image of it, smartcards should be able to work on numerous operators vehicles, including the main service provider for the area.

Also, as NXWM only take exact change, it is getting increasingly difficult to obtain the required coinage for the occasional journey, even more so with the January 2015 price increase. Is it not about time they changed this policy and accept 'Pay as you go' Swift cards and/or bank contactless debit cards?

NXWM do accept Swift card nBus Season tickets.

As for PAYG I am sure that is under development and NX are committed to this as part of the TBT agreement with Centro?

Gareth

Has there been an announcement yet over a price increase in January? I haven't seen one anywhere.

Gareth

Ah, I've just seen it :)

Stu

The SWIFT card will NOT work unless ALL operators sign up to accept it.

Like in London, with the Oyster card, there must be one universal card that all operators will accept, for all forms of transport, in order for it to be a fully multi-modal form of pass.

NX do have some products currently available on SWIFT, and I'm sure their 'own' version will just be their own branded SWIFT card, which must be allowed to load other products onto.

The Oyster card is brilliant, and makes transport round London so easy. The SWIFT card has to work the same, otherwise it would just be a failure. At present I pay for a monthly direct-debit Faresaver pass to travel on NX buses; with SWIFT I should be able to continue to enjoy unlimited travel on NX buses for a set amount per month, and then use loaded pay-as-you-go credit to travel on other bus operators' buses, or the Metro, or local train services, if I choose to do so. Up to the 'daily-cap' limit, which would be the maximum value of an equivalent 'day-ticket'.

"Touch-and-go", rather than fumbling around for the right money. It works so well in London, it has to work here in the West Midlands also.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

I do have the horrible feeling that they'd balls it up here and there wouldn't be the price cap type of thing like there is with Oyster cards...
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stuharris 6360

Due to be a report on Midlands Today at 1:30 and presumably later tonight, on Swift and how it is struggling to get going!!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

JoNi

Problems have been encountered on Merseyside with their Walrus smartcard, they have opted to replace Saveaway day tickets on Wirral only at first.

Stuharris 6360

Interesting article, especially the part about Greenbus accepting Swift on there 50 service with an interview with someone from Greenbus?

As they say Oyster has really taken off in London, but then TFL had everyone on there side pretty quickly!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Matt on January 02, 2015, 01:42:49 PM
Thanks for the tip off Stu, had no idea this was on... saw one or two familiar faces!

Isn't that article out of date now Greenbus have come off the 50 though Matt?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Matt on January 02, 2015, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 02, 2015, 01:52:38 PM
Quote from: Matt on January 02, 2015, 01:42:49 PM
Thanks for the tip off Stu, had no idea this was on... saw one or two familiar faces!

Isn't that article out of date now Greenbus have come off the 50 though Matt?

Not really, there are other operators that accept Swift, Green Bus were just used as an example

Emailed Midlands Today regarding the article.

Had a reply from Peter Plisner their transport correspondent!

"Hi Stuart

Thanks for your email. The film was shot before Christmas and should have been broadcast on 22nd Dec. Greenbus is still accepting Swift though.

Again thanks for the email.

Regards

Peter Plisner

Transport Correspondent"

How can Greenbus still accept Swift if they have no public bus services?

jack5512

it was just on BBC Midlands today about these swift cards

Bryan

Interesting to hear in the BBC report that NXWM expect to introduce the use of the Swift Pay-as-you-go card on their vehicles in the spring. I just hope they achieve it. 

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Bryan on January 02, 2015, 07:13:25 PM
Interesting to hear in the BBC report that NXWM expect to introduce the use of the Swift Pay-as-you-go card on their vehicles in the spring. I just hope they achieve it.

It will be interesting how they work the Pay As You Go card, will it be usable for people who make numerous journeys a day (like bus enthusiasts) or will it work out cheaper to buy a Daysaver, NBus, or Daytripper. Hopefully there will be price capping introduced whereby it will make it cheaper to use Swift, like Oyster in London!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk