News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

New Hydrogen fuelled Buses for Birmingham.

Started by 2206, October 24, 2017, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Have to say I don't really understand any of this from an operators point of view.

Why would you want to put up the amount of money that a new Euro VI would cost, why not go out and buy one and the bus is yours anyway. If the fueling point is to be used by various operators, then unless you use it as an outstation, then it is going to increase mileage, driver hours etc.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 30, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
Have to say I don't really understand any of this from an operators point of view.

Why would you want to put up the amount of money that a new Euro VI would cost, why not go out and buy one and the bus is yours anyway. If the fueling point is to be used by various operators, then unless you use it as an outstation, then it is going to increase mileage, driver hours etc.

With the threat that some cities are making, like London and Oxford where only zero emission at source vehicles will be allowed into city centres it make sense to start getting used to new technologies

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on October 30, 2017, 07:35:43 PM
With the threat that some cities are making, like London and Oxford where only zero emission at source vehicles will be allowed into city centres it make sense to start getting used to new technologies

While i agree with that @Tony , I would be interested to hear how the mpg compare with a normal Hybrid bus. Plus isn't Hydrogen more expensive that Diesel, in that case wouldn't it be better to go down the electric bus route.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 30, 2017, 08:34:35 PM
While i agree with that @Tony , I would be interested to hear how the mpg compare with a normal Hybrid bus. Plus isn't Hydrogen more expensive that Diesel, in that case wouldn't it be better to go down the electric bus route.

Hydrogen is only more expensive at the moment because production of it is still being developed. At Uni my department had a few hydrogen cars to show off how much they could produce on a small experimental basis - I imagine in the 7 years since that production has developed further and bigger projects that make more use of hydrogen like this are now feasible
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

suavegarv

When the gas buses were in operation from Walsall a few years back, were running costs reasonable or high? Was expense a factor in why they eventually became diesel only?

Walsall1955

Passenger Transport (edition 17 November 2017) at page 19 reports that National Express West Midlands has provided an amount of funding and will operate the 22 buses.
Figures quoted are:
Scheme cost £13.4 m
£1.5m OLEV grant
£4.0m Fuel Cells + Hydrogen Joint Undertaking funding
£2.2m GreaterBrirmingham and Solhull PEP funding
and "The remainder of the funding will come from National Express West Midlands".
Refuelling site at Tyseley Energy Park to open in September 2018.

MW

Quote from: Walsall1955 on November 17, 2017, 06:50:57 PM
Passenger Transport (edition 17 November 2017) at page 19 reports that National Express West Midlands has provided an amount of funding and will operate the 22 buses.
Figures quoted are:
Scheme cost £13.4 m
£1.5m OLEV grant
£4.0m Fuel Cells + Hydrogen Joint Undertaking funding
£2.2m GreaterBrirmingham and Solhull PEP funding
and "The remainder of the funding will come from National Express West Midlands".
Refuelling site at Tyseley Energy Park to open in September 2018.

So where are the MMCs from the 37 going? Let's begin the speculation... 😂

Jack

Quote from: MW on November 17, 2017, 09:08:59 PM
So where are the MMCs from the 37 going? Let's begin the speculation... 😂
Who said the E200 MMC's were leaving the 37? They better not be! 😂😂

MW

Quote from: Jack on November 17, 2017, 09:12:57 PM
Who said the E200 MMC's were leaving the 37? They better not be! 😂😂

Lolllll come on. Birmingham & Solihull funding and an outstation in Tyseley, and 22 buses. Something is gonna get converted to single deck with those cascades as no single deckers are due replacement. Maybe replace the Scanias at YW with some left over to go towards the 2/3? Or maybe replace ALX400s on the 1. Hmmmmmm...

DJ

Quote from: MW on November 17, 2017, 09:46:29 PM
Lolllll come on. Birmingham & Solihull funding and an outstation in Tyseley, and 22 buses. Something is gonna get converted to single deck with those cascades as no single deckers are due replacement. Maybe replace the Scanias at YW with some left over to go towards the 2/3? Or maybe replace ALX400s on the 1. Hmmmmmm...

I'm pretty sure the B7RLE's at Walsall are the oldest single deckers, but even they aren't due replacement for a while. With the possibility of some routes being split in the next Dudley review, perhaps single deckers could be adequate for something like the 74 just between Dudley and West Bromwich.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Jack

Quote from: MW on November 17, 2017, 09:46:29 PM
The 72? I would never make the 2/3 or 5/31 SD. They are suppose to be Deckers to help the 6/37 with their Single Deckers. There is some tight turns on the 2 in an Omnilink, especially on Daisy Farm Road. I think the 72 and put the spares are onto the 73, especially next July when Solihull becoming Euro 4, it's mainly ALX400's with the odd Gemini, mainly E200 MMC on Saturdays.

Sh4318

Quote from: Jack on November 17, 2017, 10:17:37 PM
The 72? I would never make the 2/3 or 5/31 SD. They are suppose to be Deckers to help the 6/37 with their Single Deckers. There is some tight turns on the 2 in an Omnilink, especially on Daisy Farm Road. I think the 72 and put the spares are onto the 73, especially next July when Solihull becoming Euro 4, it's mainly ALX400's with the odd Gemini, mainly E200 MMC on Saturdays.

Replace double deckers on a frequent route with single deckers?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Jack

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 17, 2017, 10:43:33 PM
Replace double deckers on a frequent route with single deckers?
The 72 coped fine with SD and still does now when they are on it which is common. It being a frequent route means it leaves the Stop pretty much with a decent loading. Though people can argue that Sunny travel sit at the stand in Solihull for some time, meaning passengers can just jump onto that.

Sh4318

Quote from: Jack on November 17, 2017, 10:49:43 PM
The 72 coped fine with SD and still does now when they are on it which is common. It being a frequent route means it leaves the Stop pretty much with a decent loading. Though people can argue that Sunny travel sit at the stand in Solihull for some time, meaning passengers can just jump onto that.

If that's the case, then why are double deckers now used?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 17, 2017, 11:25:02 PM
If that's the case, then why are double deckers now used?

At a glance, many E200MMCs have left AG for YW so that means less can be used for the 72 even though it's been shortened, the replacements have been deckers so your're more likely to see a decker on the route. Last time I rode a 72, it got decent loadings so I suppose when in doubt, send a decker !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk