News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

INIT - Ticket Machines

Started by Jack D, September 28, 2017, 07:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminiFan1991

I finally decided to upgrade my good old 4 week pass to a swift card.

Having used it for the past few days, I've noticed that these new ticket machines are a marked improvement. They scan quicker, and it's screen is a good informant of letting you know, your card has been read.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

JoNi

The screens are good at telling passengers the number of days left. Today I obtained my fourth smartcard (n-bus multi-day) to cover all permutations just to travel on all operators in Coventry/Warwickshire! I'm getting used to no days left on card when i use the wrong one!

Kevin

Quote from: JoNi on December 13, 2017, 07:21:32 PM
The screens are good at telling passengers the number of days left. Today I obtained my fourth smartcard (n-bus multi-day) to cover all permutations just to travel on all operators in Coventry/Warwickshire! I'm getting used to no days left on card when i use the wrong one!

One of the things well have to get used to these days I suppose.
Numerous times I've gone to London and forgot to switch cards and wondered why the gates at a tube station don't open, or come back and wonder why my Oyster card doesn't scan on the X51
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Other Walsall Tony

Do the new machines accept a contactless debit card?
Tony

DJ

Quote from: Other Walsall Tony on December 14, 2017, 08:04:04 AM

I'm pretty sure they were made to be compatible with them, but they aren't accepting them as of yet.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: Other Walsall Tony on December 14, 2017, 08:04:04 AM

Not yet. Not a good idea to start until all buses are done, otherwise you get people trying to use them on other buses and then not able to pay if they haven't got cash on them.

Coventry is launching in January, with the rest of the west Midlands a couple of months later

Stu

Quote from: Kevin on December 14, 2017, 07:48:08 AM
One of the things well have to get used to these days I suppose.
Numerous times I've gone to London and forgot to switch cards and wondered why the gates at a tube station don't open, or come back and wonder why my Oyster card doesn't scan on the X51

I've tried using my Oyster card on NX Buses (unintentionally of course) and I can also confirm they don't work up here! ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Are BC about to have new ticket machines installed? I only ask because while stood at the front of the X2 this morning waiting for the bus to approach my stop, there was a call going out on the radio for Bristol Road drivers about ticket machine training?
My locals:

Jordan

yeah i saw a new ticket machine on a x61 branded earlier whilst wating for my bus
my local routes are:

NXWM: 72 72A 17 73
igo 99
sunny travel 71E
r.k. travel 72 and further down the road the 73

Tony

Quote from: Stu on December 14, 2017, 06:35:50 PM
Are BC about to have new ticket machines installed? I only ask because while stood at the front of the X2 this morning waiting for the bus to approach my stop, there was a call going out on the radio for Bristol Road drivers about ticket machine training?

The platinums are being done with a visit to Walsall, so that Coventry can start accepting contactless in January

B.C Driver

6826, 6835 and 6840 are fitted with the new machines.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Other Walsall Tony

Quote from: Tony on December 14, 2017, 10:11:20 AM
Not yet. Not a good idea to start until all buses are done, otherwise you get people trying to use them on other buses and then not able to pay if they haven't got cash on them.

Coventry is launching in January, with the rest of the west Midlands a couple of months later
Thanks for that Tony.
BTW, a TfL concessioary pass works here, but a WM one does not work on London buses, you need to show it to driver.
Tony

Tony

Quote from: Other Walsall Tony on December 15, 2017, 08:01:17 AM
Thanks for that Tony.
BTW, a TfL concessioary pass works here, but a WM one does not work on London buses, you need to show it to driver.

Yes, because London is behind the times! London being the first place to introduce the technology has their machines based on the Oyster system. The technology has advanced since then, so the rest of the country has more up to date technology

B.C Driver

6830 and 6843 have new ticket machines
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Stu

Quote from: B.C Driver on December 18, 2017, 02:59:03 PM
6830 and 6843 have new ticket machines

I forget which one it was now, think it was 6843, but I had my first experience of this new setup on Sunday on the X1. Nice clear pad, read my card very quickly, and the display was easy to read.
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk