News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coventry Bus Magazine

Started by Adam 404, November 14, 2016, 09:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam 404

Quote from: JPC on June 02, 2017, 09:38:04 PM
Excellent presentation as always, though I must say the 48 has ran for around 10 years before 2002.... for some reason Vosa doesn't show the history of bus services prior to 22 April 2002.
Service 48 (and X48) is in the Nov 1993 Centro map, but the May 1991 map shows the Atherstone service numbered as 47 running via Ash Green (and X47 via Foleshill Rd and Bedworth By Pass).
Thanks for the information. I unfortunately was unaware that the 48 ran before this point. I'm glad you like the magazine @JPC

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Adam 404 on June 02, 2017, 06:22:41 PM
Here is June 2017's edition of the Coventry Bus Magazine. I hope you enjoy reading it.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuV-OWRD_pekfSbgNCYy6jN-RDs

Yay! My photo has made it into the magazine!  :D

P419 EJW

Quote from: Michael Bevan on June 02, 2017, 10:59:57 PM
Yay! My photo has made it into the magazine!  :D

Cue the mass spam to lots of people on the Messenger.

Michael Bevan

Quote from: P419 EJW on June 02, 2017, 11:22:30 PM
Cue the mass spam to lots of people on the Messenger.

I don't know why you're bothering making digs at me on here and off here. There's no reason to speak to me. That's all I'm saying...

P419 EJW

Quote from: Michael Bevan on June 02, 2017, 11:31:10 PM
I don't know why you're bothering making digs at me on here and off here. There's no reason to speak to me. That's all I'm saying...

Freedom of speech.

Sandy Lane

Like the Cov mag.
Well done Adam.

Adam 404

Ally

Quote from: Adam 404 on June 02, 2017, 09:52:11 PM
Thanks for the information. I unfortunately was unaware that the 48 ran before this point. I'm glad you like the magazine @JPC

I do have an old Midland Red timetable for the 48 from the early 90's, '92 I think but I'm unable to dig it out until I'm back from Bristol on Wednesday!
At the time, it was only a Minibus service utilising Mercedes O811Ds with the Wright Nimbus bodywork, there's a few photos on Flickr if you search the J4--PRW batch, I definitely have one on my PC somewhere too... The service has come a long way! The Leicester spur being the 657/658 originally, then the 157, then it was cut up with the 157 doing Nuneaton to Leicester only before the 48 took it over. I'd have to refer to my Midland Red stuff when I'm back, but I believe the Atherstone spur used to be the "N48" and operated Nuneaton to Atherstone only, but I'd need to double check it!
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Adam 404

Quote from: Ally on June 03, 2017, 04:34:15 PM
I do have an old Midland Red timetable for the 48 from the early 90's, '92 I think but I'm unable to dig it out until I'm back from Bristol on Wednesday!
At the time, it was only a Minibus service utilising Mercedes O811Ds with the Wright Nimbus bodywork, there's a few photos on Flickr if you search the J4--PRW batch, I definitely have one on my PC somewhere too... The service has come a long way! The Leicester spur being the 657/658 originally, then the 157, then it was cut up with the 157 doing Nuneaton to Leicester only before the 48 took it over. I'd have to refer to my Midland Red stuff when I'm back, but I believe the Atherstone spur used to be the "N48" and operated Nuneaton to Atherstone only, but I'd need to double check it!
Thanks @Ally , very interesting. Really appreciate it.

JoNi

The 48 was still only every 30 minutes going to Atherstone when it became involved with Primelines in the late 1990s with a joint timetable showing all journeys.

Justin Tyme

The 48 actually started on 27 October 1991.  It ran between Coventry and Atherstone from that date, and it replaced the 47 which had run via Ash Green between Foleshill and Bedworth.  The X47 (which ran via the Bedworth by-pass) was renumbered X48 on the same date.

I haven't recorded when the frequency was increased, but if I recall correctly it was initially improved to every 20 minutes throughout in the early 2000s, and then to every 10 minutes between Coventry and Nuneaton not long afterwards.  A regular half hourly evening and Sunday service was added on the Coventry - Nuneaton section in 2004, and hourly Sunday extensions to Atherstone in 2005.

The Nuneaton - Leicester leg was added on 23 July 2006, replacing the former stand-alone 157 service.

Ally

Quote from: Justin Tyme on June 04, 2017, 01:04:03 PM
The 48 actually started on 27 October 1991.  It ran between Coventry and Atherstone from that date, and it replaced the 47 which had run via Ash Green between Foleshill and Bedworth.  The X47 (which ran via the Bedworth by-pass) was renumbered X48 on the same date.

I haven't recorded when the frequency was increased, but if I recall correctly it was initially improved to every 20 minutes throughout in the early 2000s, and then to every 10 minutes between Coventry and Nuneaton not long afterwards.  A regular half hourly evening and Sunday service was added on the Coventry - Nuneaton section in 2004, and hourly Sunday extensions to Atherstone in 2005.

The Nuneaton - Leicester leg was added on 23 July 2006, replacing the former stand-alone 157 service.

The 20 minute frequency came in with the Transbus Pointer Darts, with a 15 minute frequency coming into play around 2005, 2 buses an hour to Atherstone, 2 buses an hour to Nuneaton I believe it was. The buses went around with the branding showing "up to every      mins" at the time. The every 10 mins frequency took 34625-8 off the 56/57 (27/28 being debranded) and saw almost new Tridents 18502-5 transferred South in return for older Darts 34641-4.

Thanks for the insight into the start date of the modern day 48, it's been something I've been meaning to look into!
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Adam 404

Hello Everyone,

With an extra 4 pages this month - Here is the July edition of the Coventry Bus Magazine.
It is full of information about buses in and around Coventry.
I hope you enjoy reading it.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuV-OWRD_pekfgluzIvbQhxt_Lw

Adam 404

It's that time of the month again!

Enjoy reading my latest edition of the Coventry Bus Magazine...

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuV-OWRD_pekgQZ9nQsMaU2MW7z2

WMT3000

Enjoyed reading the latest issue - particularly liked the 900/X1 feature as i'm a bit of a collector/hoarder of timetables myself! Keep up the good work. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk