News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The next West Midlands franchise

Started by Tony, December 09, 2015, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheese

Quote from: Bob on April 07, 2016, 06:23:57 PM
Still a pretty poor service with two car units at busy times. There's ben loads of complaints about how bad it is. Even the bloody MP got involved although I suspect that was for publicity.  She loves a good photo shoot. "I must insist electric trains are used once the line is electrified "...Erm yea 1. Why wouldn't they be & 2. What's she gonna do if they aren't lol

Because the unit cascade hasn't worked out? Could well happen, or if Northern haven't got replacements for their 323s (assuming they will be the units). And as has been said time and again, where do LM get spare units from? There aren't any. If there were, they would be using them now...

Tony

Quote from: Bob on April 07, 2016, 06:23:57 PM
Still a pretty poor service with two car units at busy times. There's ben loads of complaints about how bad it is. Even the bloody MP got involved although I suspect that was for publicity.  She loves a good photo shoot. "I must insist electric trains are used once the line is electrified "...Erm yea 1. Why wouldn't they be & 2. What's she gonna do if they aren't lol

The two car unit can just about cope as long as the 16:12 runs
Perhaps you might like to suggest where an extra carriage might come from.

Because the electrification is actually ahead of schedule at the moment there is the strong possibility of the wires being live before the extra 323s arrive, so you may find the service is initially a mix of diesel and electric

T840MAK

Quote from: Cheese on April 07, 2016, 06:29:01 PM
Because the unit cascade hasn't worked out? Could well happen, or if Northern haven't got replacements for their 323s (assuming they will be the units). And as has been said time and again, where do LM get spare units from? There aren't any. If there were, they would be using them now...

The 323s aren't being released from Northern until 2018 now, which is when the 331s should start entering service.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

Tony

Quote from: T840MAK on April 07, 2016, 07:32:26 PM
The 323s aren't being released from Northern until 2018 now, which is when the 331s should start entering service.

And you cannot use 319s or 350s on the Chase line without platform extensions as neither has selective door opening

Bob

Something needs to be done. Why can't they get more units?? Have they not got any spares? The interiors of the turbostar are cramped anyway compared with a sprinter

Bob

Won't the 323s be well over 20 years old???

Sh4318

Quote from: Bob on April 07, 2016, 09:31:57 PM
Something needs to be done. Why can't they get more units?? Have they not got any spares? The interiors of the turbostar are cramped anyway compared with a sprinter

They use all available carriages. Increasing the Chase Line capacity would mean taking carriages off Birmingham - Shrewsburys, or Birmingham - Herefords, or even the 170/6 that runs on my Snow Hill line. It's not just LM, the whole rail network has a shortage of DMUs.

Quote from: Bob on April 07, 2016, 09:45:05 PM
Won't the 323s be well over 20 years old???

Yes, but they would've been refreshed before. They're ideal for the services they currently work on, they'll be around for a while yet. Personally I'd welcome the 323s from Northern, they're quality units
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stuharris 6360

Aren't Northern or Great Western supposed to be getting rid of the 143s? If so they could be used and I believe they could couple to the existing units used.

Saying that, am sure after a few days on the Nodding Donkeys, you would be begging for the other units back?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Bob

So if nothing can be done what the hell is our vile MP banging on about then? As she obviously can't do Jack S##t  lol

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Bob on April 07, 2016, 11:43:02 PM
So if nothing can be done what the hell is our vile MP banging on about then? As she obviously can't do Jack S##t  lol

Remember the trains used aren't owned by London Midland, but leased by a ROSCO. If a ROSCO has no further trains that can be leased, you have little option but to try and cope with the stock you have. The MP can moan about London Midland , but it really isn't there fault.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

Only thing they possibly could do as an interim is hire in a loco hauled set of sorts, but that gets expensive as mentioned with the Coventry Arena extras they trialed, plus on stop start services like LM's the whole door thing would slow everything down.

It is kind of infuriating for passengers that seemingly not enough trains were built with the latest orders of Turbostars, or indeed when they built the Voyagers for Virgin, but alas such is economics and at the time I suppose they couldn't really justify spending so much more "just in case".

Will just have to wait for cascades to happen.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on April 08, 2016, 07:27:35 AM
Only thing they possibly could do as an interim is hire in a loco hauled set of sorts, but that gets expensive as mentioned with the Coventry Arena extras they trialed, plus on stop start services like LM's the whole door thing would slow everything down.

It is kind of infuriating for passengers that seemingly not enough trains were built with the latest orders of Turbostars, or indeed when they built the Voyagers for Virgin, but alas such is economics and at the time I suppose they couldn't really justify spending so much more "just in case".

Will just have to wait for cascades to happen.

London Midland or successor are also grabbing some 153s that First Great Western are releasing, but again the release of these has been delayed by the late electrification of the Great Western Main Line

T840MAK

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 07, 2016, 11:29:17 PM
Aren't Northern or Great Western supposed to be getting rid of the 143s? If so they could be used and I believe they could couple to the existing units used.

Saying that, am sure after a few days on the Nodding Donkeys, you would be begging for the other units back?

When / if the 143s get realised out of the Wales & Borders and Great Western franchises (which would be 2019 earliest), they would most likely go for scrap rather than going to LM - they're already 30 years old, and as we Northerners have proved with the 142s and extremely similar 144s, are completely unfit for purpose now.
Twitter @TomCousins60054

Tony

Quote from: T840MAK on April 08, 2016, 09:50:12 AM
When / if the 143s get realised out of the Wales & Borders and Great Western franchises (which would be 2019 earliest), they would most likely go for scrap rather than going to LM - they're already 30 years old, and as we Northerners have proved with the 142s and extremely similar 144s, are completely unfit for purpose now.

142; 143 & 144 units are not allowed into Birmingham New Street

T840MAK

Quote from: Tony on April 08, 2016, 09:53:48 AM
142; 143 & 144 units are not allowed into Birmingham New Street

If only they weren't still allowed anywhere else on the network..!
Twitter @TomCousins60054

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk