News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Chiltern Railways

Started by 2206, August 21, 2015, 01:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Heard today that the 18:47 London Marylebone to Kidderminster is to be DMU operated instead of loco & Coaching stock and will terminate at Birmingham Moor Street from December October 25 as part of the timetable changes for the new Oxford Parkway station.

Makes you wonder what the future of the services between Kidderminster, Stourbridge and London will be, I thought many years ago they wanted to operate an hourly service on this part of the line, I wonder in years to come whether all services will just operate Birmingham to London?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Roy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 14, 2015, 08:46:02 PM
Heard today that the 18:47 London Marylebone to Kidderminster is to be DMU operated instead of loco & Coaching stock and will terminate at Birmingham Moor Street from December October 25 as part of the timetable changes for the new Oxford Parkway station.

Makes you wonder what the future of the services between Kidderminster, Stourbridge and London will be, I thought many years ago they wanted to operate an hourly service on this part of the line, I wonder in years to come whether all services will just operate Birmingham to London?

As a replacement for the 1847, the 1615 from Marylebone is a Silver Set and will be extended to Kidderminster from 26 October.

Cheese

Quote from: Roy on October 14, 2015, 10:07:04 PM
As a replacement for the 1847, the 1615 from Marylebone is a Silver Set and will be extended to Kidderminster from 26 October.

Shame the 16:15 isn't already loco hauled, having caught it back from Marylebone to Moor Street on Monday being worked by a wedged 168, when there was a nice loco hauled set sat on the adjacent platform...

Roy

Chiltern stable sets overnight at Stourbridge which is why the number of through services remain constant.  On weekdays, all sets run through to Stourbridge or Kidderminster in service.  What needs improving are weekend services where sets operate to/from Birmingham ecs.  What is needed is for these to operate in service.

With regard to the 168/3s, I would guess that these will enter squadron service from 25 October when the Oxford Parkway service starts.

s94

I really appreciate the services Chiltern provide to London but wish there were more. Everytime I use them for London, the services are very well used from Stourbridge. Went last Saturday in fact and it was certainly busy. The loco and carriages are excellent too. However it doesnt make sense to me that the evening journeys only go to Moor Street! Lots of us had to wait for a LM service instead to Stourbridge. Surely if they have trains stabling at SBJ, they can run services beyond Moor St on Saturday evenings? Unsurprisingly this is a strong priority of the Stourbridge Line User Group (http://www.stourbridgelineusergroup.info/train%20services.html).

I would love to see a more regular service provided even if it was perhaps just once every 2 hours in the daytime.

Sh4318

There is a horrible gap between services from 18:49 to 19:24 on Saturday evening from Moor St. A Chiltern service up to Stourbridge/Kidderminster certainly wouldn't hurt there
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Roy

I am a Stourbridge Line User Group member and was talking to one of the committee yesterday.  They speak to a Chiltern Railways manager every 2 months at their Committee meetings and also at Chiltern's quarterly Passenger Board meetings.  They have identified that there is one empty stock service from Stourbridge Depot to Birmingham and three from Birmingham to Stourbridge Depot on Saturdays, and two ecs workings in each direction on Sundays.  They have made a case to Chiltern to run some of these in service.  Chiltern's current stance is that they would have the extra expense of a conductor as the ecs movements are driver only.  However, it is currently with Chiltern for consideration.  SLUG have also raised their concerns about the cancellation of the 1847 service from Marylebone on Mondays to Fridays leaving a gap from 1815 to 2010 for through services.

At least Chiltern seem to listen to suggestions for improvements.  London Midland's stance is that you will only get improvements if the Department for Transport approve them.  Therefore, SLUG are talking to West Midlands Rail and DfT to try to get other improvements specified in the new West Midlands franchise which starts in October 2017 (better weekend and evening services, earlier Sunday services, longer trains at weekends and better connections at Worcester towards the South West).

Incidentally, I received my pdf quarterly magazine from SLUG last week and there is a very interesting article about the history of through trains between Stourbridge and London in it which ends with their campaign to improve weekend Chiltern services.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Roy on October 19, 2015, 11:23:51 AM
I am a Stourbridge Line User Group member and was talking to one of the committee yesterday.  They speak to a Chiltern Railways manager every 2 months at their Committee meetings and also at Chiltern's quarterly Passenger Board meetings.  They have identified that there is one empty stock service from Stourbridge Depot to Birmingham and three from Birmingham to Stourbridge Depot on Saturdays, and two ecs workings in each direction on Sundays.  They have made a case to Chiltern to run some of these in service.  Chiltern's current stance is that they would have the extra expense of a conductor as the ecs movements are driver only.  However, it is currently with Chiltern for consideration.  SLUG have also raised their concerns about the cancellation of the 1847 service from Marylebone on Mondays to Fridays leaving a gap from 1815 to 2010 for through services.

At least Chiltern seem to listen to suggestions for improvements.  London Midland's stance is that you will only get improvements if the Department for Transport approve them.  Therefore, SLUG are talking to West Midlands Rail and DfT to try to get other improvements specified in the new West Midlands franchise which starts in October 2017 (better weekend and evening services, earlier Sunday services, longer trains at weekends and better connections at Worcester towards the South West).

Incidentally, I received my pdf quarterly magazine from SLUG last week and there is a very interesting article about the history of through trains between Stourbridge and London in it which ends with their campaign to improve weekend Chiltern services.

I am put off travelling by Chiltern to London on a Saturday  because of the lack of a direct return service. If they managed to run either 1 or 2 of the ecs in service and it was marketed properly, am sure that Chiltern could make up the extra conductor expenses with additional revenue.

Am sure it was said early on when Kidderminster/Styourbridge to London first began that they hoped that they could run services all through the day, that has never happened though!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Bryan

Quote from: s94 on October 14, 2015, 11:15:06 PM
I really appreciate the services Chiltern provide to London but wish there were more. Everytime I use them for London, the services are very well used from Stourbridge. Went last Saturday in fact and it was certainly busy. The loco and carriages are excellent too. However it doesnt make sense to me that the evening journeys only go to Moor Street! Lots of us had to wait for a LM service instead to Stourbridge. Surely if they have trains stabling at SBJ, they can run services beyond Moor St on Saturday evenings? Unsurprisingly this is a strong priority of the Stourbridge Line User Group (http://www.stourbridgelineusergroup.info/train%20services.html).

I hadn't seen the Stourbridge Line User Group website before clicking on the link, but all I can say it is great!

With improvements the group would like to see combined with historical data and photographs for the area, I can see me spending an enjoyable afternoon reading through it.

I certainly had no idea that Merry Hill had had a monorail in the past, although in my defense I only moved to the West Midlands about ten years ago and my first visit to Merry Hill was eleven days ago.

Roy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 19, 2015, 12:44:58 PM
I am put off travelling by Chiltern to London on a Saturday  because of the lack of a direct return service. If they managed to run either 1 or 2 of the ecs in service and it was marketed properly, am sure that Chiltern could make up the extra conductor expenses with additional revenue.

Am sure it was said early on when Kidderminster/Styourbridge to London first began that they hoped that they could run services all through the day, that has never happened though!

According to the Stourbridge Line User Group newsletter article on London services, Chiltern's 20-Year Franchise agreement in 2002 contained the following contracted obligations :- Operation of hourly through service between Marylebone and Kidderminster for most of Monday-Saturday from September, plus the trial of Sunday services from September 2003.

Neither of these happened, although I think the reason for the Monday to Saturday service not happening was the increase of Central Trains (now LM) services between Stourbridge Junction and Snow Hill from 4 per hour to 6 per hour.  The Sunday trial seems to have been quietly swept under the carpet.

I agree with you that the number of passengers on a Saturday evening would more than pay for additional train staff, given the number of people who travel to London from the Stourbridge line on a Saturday morning.  The other point about the ecs workings from Birmingham is that they have to go into Stourbridge Junction station to reverse to gain access to the depot.   

s94

There is clearly good support here amongst us for improved weekend services. Albeit we are very small as a number, there must be many more out there. Saturday is a perfect day to go to London for a day out or Bicester for shopping. I'm sure patronage on a Saturday evening would make up for additional conductor costs. As I saw the other Saturday, a number of us had to change at moor st for a LM service onward to Stourbridge. Loads always get off at Stourbridge so there must be demand. Does seem a bit silly they can't do that extra bit when the trains rest at SBJ anyway.

I've always found chiltern to be a very good company, at least what it appears to be as a passenger so I would hope/be quietly confident they will soon bring at least some improvement.

As for better services to the south west.... Yes please!!! Something much needed too. Many in the midlands love to travel to the SW. Better services towards Bristol and Devon would be extremely appreciated. Even Cornwall wouldn't be unreasonable.

Sh4318

As someone who uses the line regularly, those early Sunday services are really required, no trains before 10am on such a frequent service (during the week) isn't very good. Chiltern weekend services don't really bother me, I'm more concerned about the train formations on the weekend, and that horrible 35 minute gap on Saturday evenings

Quote from: s94 on October 19, 2015, 06:09:58 PM
There is clearly good support here amongst us for improved weekend services. Albeit we are very small as a number, there must be many more out there. Saturday is a perfect day to go to London for a day out or Bicester for shopping. I'm sure patronage on a Saturday evening would make up for additional conductor costs. As I saw the other Saturday, a number of us had to change at moor st for a LM service onward to Stourbridge. Loads always get off at Stourbridge so there must be demand. Does seem a bit silly they can't do that extra bit when the trains rest at SBJ anyway.

I've always found chiltern to be a very good company, at least what it appears to be as a passenger so I would hope/be quietly confident they will soon bring at least some improvement.

As for better services to the south west.... Yes please!!! Something much needed too. Many in the midlands love to travel to the SW. Better services towards Bristol and Devon would be extremely appreciated. Even Cornwall wouldn't be unreasonable.

I think the connections to Bristol are more referring to the Malvern - Temple Meads service, which is only 2 hourly

Roy

With regard to the gap from 1849 to 1924, one of the Chiltern ecs workings leaves Snow Hill at 1906, so could fill the gap if Chiltern could be persuaded to run it in service (it's a Silver Set).

For earlier Sunday morning services, it's a case of watch this space.  The LM franchise runs out in March 2016 and DfT and LM are currently putting the final touches to a direct award to run until October 2017.  The details should be announced shortly and could include earlier services.  If not, the next franchise will be jointly awarded by DfT and West Midlands Rail.  Two Centro employees are currently seconded to DfT to work on the franchise and they will be organising a public consultation from December.  Therefore, get your ideas together!

The connection at Worcester, as you say, is awful - 2 hourly GWR service.  SLUG are asking if the possibility of extending some Worcester Shrub Hill terminating trains to Cheltenham/Gloucester or to Worcestershire Parkway could be considered to improve connections.   

Sh4318

Quote from: Roy on October 20, 2015, 09:41:48 AM
With regard to the gap from 1849 to 1924, one of the Chiltern ecs workings leaves Snow Hill at 1906, so could fill the gap if Chiltern could be persuaded to run it in service (it's a Silver Set).

For earlier Sunday morning services, it's a case of watch this space.  The LM franchise runs out in March 2016 and DfT and LM are currently putting the final touches to a direct award to run until October 2017.  The details should be announced shortly and could include earlier services.  If not, the next franchise will be jointly awarded by DfT and West Midlands Rail.  Two Centro employees are currently seconded to DfT to work on the franchise and they will be organising a public consultation from December.  Therefore, get your ideas together!

The connection at Worcester, as you say, is awful - 2 hourly GWR service.  SLUG are asking if the possibility of extending some Worcester Shrub Hill terminating trains to Cheltenham/Gloucester or to Worcestershire Parkway could be considered to improve connections.

Can't wait for that. I have so much to say, and not just on Birmingham - Worcester. Better get a notepad and pen ready!

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Sh4318 on October 21, 2015, 09:13:27 PM
Can't wait for that. I have so much to say, and not just on Birmingham - Worcester. Better get a notepad and pen ready!

Personally i hope they don't let Centro poke there nose into any franchise award, they tried before and it just doesn't work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk