News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

POLL: How do you view/read the forum?

Started by Stu, July 13, 2017, 10:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your most common means of accessing this forum?

Desktop/Laptop PC/Mac only
11 (25%)
Mobile device (phone/tablet) only
13 (29.5%)
Mainly desktop/laptop PC/Mac, occasionally mobile device
10 (22.7%)
Mainly mobile device, occasionally desktop/laptop PC/Mac
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: July 20, 2017, 10:42:31 AM

GeminiFan1991

Having used the themes, they provide a good refreshment although having said that, I've reverted back to the default theme. I find it easier to navigate the site with plus, especially on a phone, it doesn't seem as "clustered".
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Stu

Quote from: John on July 20, 2017, 05:04:00 PM
Was using the new format forum on my phone in my break today, and I can not get used to it. I just don't like the new layout compared to the default theme. Seemed like a lot more space was taken up by the profile information rather than the content of the post. I use my phone while out but most of the time at home I am either on the PC or tablet which the old theme suit a lot better

I think you're right about the 'Blue 2017' theme, the profile menu does take up a lot of space on screen when on mobile. Give the other 'red' theme a try instead.

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 20, 2017, 07:35:36 PM
I think this is the problem where you use both your pc/laptop and mobile device. The new themes look good on mobile devices, yet after using for a few days, aren't so good on pc/laptop. Don't know if there is any solution for this unless you were to have a seperate login for mobile devices?

They take a little getting used to, after using the default theme for so long, but the new themes work just as well on 'traditional' large displays on desktops and laptops.

Personally, I can't use the forum on my mobile when on the default SMF theme, as it is a lot of fiddling about having to zoom in and out to read text, and having to scroll left and right in order to get to various buttons.

I might have a look over the weekend and see if any other responsive themes are available we can try out, there must be something we can all be happy with!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on July 21, 2017, 08:35:17 PM
I think you're right about the 'Blue 2017' theme, the profile menu does take up a lot of space on screen when on mobile. Give the other 'red' theme a try instead.

They take a little getting used to, after using the default theme for so long, but the new themes work just as well on 'traditional' large displays on desktops and laptops.

Personally, I can't use the forum on my mobile when on the default SMF theme, as it is a lot of fiddling about having to zoom in and out to read text, and having to scroll left and right in order to get to various buttons.

I might have a look over the weekend and see if any other responsive themes are available we can try out, there must be something we can all be happy with!

I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with the new themes, as you say @Stu they just take some getting used to.

Have to say that i omitted to try the red theme as i thought it would be just a copy of the blue theme but in red. Have just tried it and IMO it is 100% better than the blue one.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

Thanks to everyone who took part in the poll and has tried the new themes and offered feedback.

From the poll results, it was pretty close, but mobile users just about edged it in the end.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

John

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 20, 2017, 07:35:36 PM
I think this is the problem where you use both your pc/laptop and mobile device. The new themes look good on mobile devices, yet after using for a few days, aren't so good on pc/laptop. Don't know if there is any solution for this unless you were to have a seperate login for mobile devices?

Have been using the red theme for a bit now and I have to say it is a lot better, and I have got used to it both on PC and mobile device.

The only thing I have found on my phone, when at the bottom of a page, say reading the last reply on a thread. You see the red bar at the top of the page (with the drop down menu that you press unread topics). The red bar stays at the top of the page wherever you are on the page, I press the person icon but you have to manually have to scroll back to the top of the page for the black menu to appear. I hope someone knows what I mean!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk