News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Seating 'codes'

Started by nitromatt1, June 03, 2013, 07:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromatt1

I'm probably going to show my youth and inexperience here but I have never understood exactly what the seating codes (e.g. H47/29F) in bus bodywork mean! I'm pretty sure the first number is the amount of seats on the upper deck and the second the lower deck, but I don't know what the letters mean. Can someone explain? :)

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 03, 2013, 07:39:44 PM
I'm probably going to show my youth and inexperience here but I have never understood exactly what the seating codes (e.g. H47/29F) in bus bodywork mean! I'm pretty sure the first number is the amount of seats on the upper deck and the second the lower deck, but I don't know what the letters mean. Can someone explain? :)

The letter at the beginning tells you what type of bus it is
B - Bus (single deck)
C - Coach (single deck)
DP - Dual Purpose (single deck)
H - Highbridge Double deck (all double decks are now highbridge which refers to the seating layout, not the actual height. Lowbridge double decks had the gangway in a trench on the offside and benches of four seats on the nearside to reduce the overall height of the vehicle)
L - Lowbridge Double deck
M - Minibus converted from a van
CH - Coach double deck
DPH - Dual Purpose Double deck

The letter at the end tells you where the doors are
F - Front entrance/exit
D - Dual door (two doors fitted, but can be in any position)
T - Triple entrance (like London bendibuses and the new Borismasters)
L - Wheelchair lift fitted to non low floor vehicle
T - Toilet fiited
(These account for virtually all buses built today - other codes that relate to older vehicles include
R - rear entrance
A - Ambulance doors fitted to the rear
C - Centre entrance exit (only used where there is just one door, vehicles with a centre exit but front entrance will be D

nitromatt1

That's brilliant, thanks Tony!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk