News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

National Express Coaches

Started by winston, October 01, 2012, 12:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromatt1

I saw an old coach, I think L-reg, on the Hagley Road on Saturday. I'm sure it was in service. What are the oldest vehicles still operated by National Express?

Tony

Quote from: Matt on April 07, 2014, 10:00:52 PM
I saw an old coach, I think L-reg, on the Hagley Road on Saturday. I'm sure it was in service. What are the oldest vehicles still operated by National Express?

Nothing anywhere near that old. NX or their contractors are mostly 06 plate or newer, as has been said some contractors like SGBC have some as old as 53 plates. You may have seen one of SGBCs private L-SGB private plates they have on a few coaches they still use as dupes on NX work

Ex BC driver

Quote from: bwsau cymru on April 07, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
Sgbc operate vehicles regulary that are old such as lk53 xxx plaxton panthers and vanhools, but these then to be used on dupes.

Anyone know what chasis these new coaches will be on?

And parks of hamilton are continueing to replace there tri axle panthers there was a 14 plate elite on 570 service on sat, was told that the 09 plate planthers have 1.5 million miles on the clock in 5 years

Tri axle elites seem good

There's rumours of the tri-axles being on VDL

winston

Quote from: Ex BC driver on April 08, 2014, 01:26:49 AM
Quote from: bwsau cymru on April 07, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
Sgbc operate vehicles regulary that are old such as lk53 xxx plaxton panthers and vanhools, but these then to be used on dupes.

Anyone know what chasis these new coaches will be on?

And parks of hamilton are continueing to replace there tri axle panthers there was a 14 plate elite on 570 service on sat, was told that the 09 plate planthers have 1.5 million miles on the clock in 5 years

Tri axle elites seem good

There's rumours of the tri-axles being on VDL

VDL isn't normally a chassis used on NX work, only really Selwyns & Galloways used to DAF/VDL chassis new with Van Hool bodywork up to 2006 & 2004 respectively. Both of those operators have since switched to standard Volvo/Levante.

SGBC still operate older VDL/Van Hools which were new to the Birmingham Coach Company and were originally 03 & 53 plate, most if not all of those are now registered with private plates i.e. L---SGB. Not sure why SGBC and a handful of others are allowed to use coaches on the NX network older than the 7 year old rule, its not as though they are in allover white & only used on dupes

notepanel

Quote from: Tony on April 07, 2014, 10:11:46 PM

Nothing anywhere near that old. NX or their contractors are mostly 06 plate or newer, as has been said some contractors like SGBC have some as old as 53 plates. You may have seen one of SGBCs private L-SGB private plates they have on a few coaches they still use as dupes on NX work

I believe SGBC L444 SGB were covering a breakdown on EYMS 327 service on Saturday. As stated in other comments this is a 2003 vehicle, although I do agree, considering it's only 10 years old, it looks ancient! From a passenger perspective, it's hard to believe the first Levantes on the network were just three years later! 

SGBC do seem to try and keep the older vehicles as 'spare', which maybe why they are allowed to keep them. For example today of all the 2003 models only LK53 WKD & WKE were in service (both on the 200 route). This number has dropped back down following the recent end to the additional 504 Plymouth journeys.

With regards new vehicles, I don't know what the new order will be but I'd be surprised if it were anything other than the usual! The latest batch of new vehicles are now at the Levante depot in Leicester (I believe these to be standard length). I'm not sure who these are destined for, or whether they are the newer style (like Travellers FN63 PXB), but registrations are BK14 LDX/Y/Z & LEJ. 

winston

Quote from: notepanel on April 08, 2014, 07:13:11 PM
Quote from: Tony on April 07, 2014, 10:11:46 PM

I believe SGBC L444 SGB were covering a breakdown on EYMS 327 service on Saturday. As stated in other comments this is a 2003 vehicle, although I do agree, considering it's only 10 years old, it looks ancient! From a passenger perspective, it's hard to believe the first Levantes on the network were just three years later! 

SGBC do seem to try and keep the older vehicles as 'spare', which maybe why they are allowed to keep them. For example today of all the 2003 models only LK53 WKD & WKE were in service (both on the 200 route). This number has dropped back down following the recent end to the additional 504 Plymouth journeys.

With regards new vehicles, I don't know what the new order will be but I'd be surprised if it were anything other than the usual! The latest batch of new vehicles are now at the Levante depot in Leicester (I believe these to be standard length). I'm not sure who these are destined for, or whether they are the newer style (like Travellers FN63 PXB), but registrations are BK14 LDX/Y/Z & LEJ.

Forgot SGBC had those 53 plate Panthers as well as the VDL/ Van Hool. Not to mention the 56 reg ex Stagecoach Levantes which they've retired due to being too old, but SGBC have put back on the NX network. SGBC seem to have a large quantity of coaches that are older than 7 years and that they should need for spares. The difference between SGBC & other operators that sometimes have older NX coaches acting as spares in allover white, whereas SGBC are in full NX livery.

I think the article in Bus & Coach said 20 standard Levante were still outstanding

OH25

I never knew the 410 goes to Walsall?
how many journey do they have that go to Walsall?

Ex BC driver

Not sure how many each way go via Walsall, I know that the Whittle operated 19:00 410 from Victoria terminates at Walsall, and the De Courcey operated 22:00 410 from Victoria to Wolverhampton goes via Walsall

the trainbasher

Anyone know where I can find a list of who runs what. I'm especially keen on finding out the times for the 007 The Kings Ferry runs.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

OH25

Quote from: Ex BC driver on April 17, 2014, 03:55:39 PM
Not sure how many each way go via Walsall, I know that the Whittle operated 19:00 410 from Victoria terminates at Walsall, and the De Courcey operated 22:00 410 from Victoria to Wolverhampton goes via Walsall

That makes sense as I was questioning why my coach from Victoria was:
a) driven by a Whittles driver
b) terminating at Walsall when they usually finish in Wolverhampton

thanks for the info

notepanel

Quote from: OH25 on April 17, 2014, 05:34:51 PM
Quote from: Ex BC driver on April 17, 2014, 03:55:39 PM

That makes sense as I was questioning why my coach from Victoria was:
a) driven by a Whittles driver
b) terminating at Walsall when they usually finish in Wolverhampton

thanks for the info

Previously every journey on the 410 either terminated at Birmingham or Wolverhampton - however, since the 417 service was withdrawn last September (London-Stafford via Birmingham, Walsall, Bloxwich, Cannock & Stafford), Whittles 410 was extended from Birmingham through to Walsall as a partial replacement.  As a general rule the 410 runs every two hours through to Wolverhampton, with journeys alternating between via Five Ways, Bearwood & Dudley or via Perry Barr, Great Barr & Walsall. Of note, the 210 (which also runs through to Wolves on certain journeys) only operates via Bearwood & Dudley.

There are three journeys to London - all of which are operated by DeCourcey, these are the 0715 ex Wolves (0740 ex Walsall), 1025 ex Wolves (1045 ex Walsall), 1425 ex Wolves (1445 ex Walsall). 

There are four return journeys 1000 ex VCS (1310 Walsall operated by DeCourcey), 1600 ex VCS (1930 Walsall operated by Haytons), 1900 ex VCS (2205 Walsall - terminus. Operated by Whittles) & 2200 ex VCS (0100 Walsall - operated by DeCourcey). 

notepanel

Quote from: the trainbasher on April 17, 2014, 04:09:20 PM
Anyone know where I can find a list of who runs what. I'm especially keen on finding out the times for the 007 The Kings Ferry runs.

The Kings Ferry no longer operate workings on the 007 - this route is now run exclusively by Stagecoach.

the trainbasher

Quote from: notepanel on April 17, 2014, 08:52:38 PM

The Kings Ferry no longer operate workings on the 007 - this route is now run exclusively by Stagecoach.

Cheers. Was kind of looking forward to seeing a TKF vehicle whilst on my explorations on NX work

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

notepanel

Quote from: the trainbasher on April 17, 2014, 09:29:27 PM

Cheers. Was kind of looking forward to seeing a TKF vehicle whilst on my explorations on NX work

If you're looking this weekend, there is a chance you'll spot a couple operating dupe services around the London area!

winston

Quote from: the trainbasher on April 17, 2014, 09:29:27 PM

If you're particularly interested in seeing Kings Ferry vehicles, try Canary Wharf around 3-4pm ish Mon - Fri, I understand via Tony that TKF park up their coaches in the grounds of Millwall Football Club during the day

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk