News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real 4778

Quote from: Westy on February 21, 2018, 04:27:30 PM
Is Bromsgrove worth a day out at some point?

Never been.

Oh yes, quite a leisure destination is old Bromsgrove  8)
Don't you start.

mikestone

Quote from: dingding on February 21, 2018, 03:11:53 PM
The new section of OHL between Barnt Green and Blackwell will be energised on Sunday 4th March so it is heading towards Bromsgrove!!

Dave
I see there is a possesion that day, but yesterday there were no wires through Barnt Green or in the Bromsgrove station area.

mikestone

Not to mention a long walk from the station.

Other Walsall Tony

Quote from: mikestone on February 21, 2018, 10:20:28 PM
Not to mention a long walk from the station.
Perhaps the most interesting things to see in Bromsgrove are the tomb stones of the two railway men, Scaife and Rutherford, killed by a boiler explotion in November 1840. They can be seen in the grave yard of St John's church which overlooks the town.
Tony

B61 ANDREW

Quote from: Westy on February 21, 2018, 04:27:30 PM
Is Bromsgrove worth a day out at some point?

Never been.
With a user name as mine is I am honour bound to say yes.  8)  It is admittedly a fair walk to the town centre from the railway - 15/20 minutes depending on the state of your/my knees !!  !! But buses are quite frequent. The bus station is worth with a look a variety of operators. Other points of interest are The Red Lion by the bus station and other pubs. The statue of Poet A E Housman and also buried in the cemetary is Pat Roach - wrestler and actor.

mikestone

Quote from: mikestone on February 20, 2018, 11:40:59 AM
SO March 5 is correct then?
Next question is when Bromsgrove electrics start - 27 Jan was quoted for energisation but still no wires in  the station.
;
Leamington-Coventry services now showing cancelled w/c 5th March.
;
Bromsgrove electrification subject to slippage, whatever that means.
;

WMT3000

Quote from: mikestone on March 01, 2018, 04:41:53 PM
;
;
;
"Slippage" - a word used in the midlands and southern areas of the uk (although interestingly rarely used in northern cities such as Manchester) as an alternative to "bad planning", "lack of foresight", "incompetence" & "overpaid, unintelligent management".

Tony

;
;
;

And cancelled w/c 12 March

B61 ANDREW

;
;

In the context of trains and Bromsgrove , my interpretation of slippage would be trains having trouble climbing the Lickey Incline . . . .  :o  On a serious note though and admitting my negligible knowledge of tractive effort and adhesion , is there any difference between diesel and electric powered trains when climbing "hills" ?  Or , excluding weather variables , is it all down to the driver ?  ;)   The line is closed through Bromsgrove today , so I guess more work is in progress with the "wires".

mikestone

Slippage in this contact refers to the electrification work being at least five weeks behind - what wasn't clear was if they were saying it would affect the start of electric services.

mikestone

I understand it has been reported on local radio that electrics to Bromsgrove will not start until July.
;
Kenilworth services now cancelled w/c 26th March.

Roy

The currently projected start date for electrics to Bromsgrove is 29 July, provided that nothing happens in the meantime to further delay it.

mikestone

Alledged electrification will be ready, but not traincrew.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Roy on March 15, 2018, 12:10:01 PM
The currently projected start date for electrics to Bromsgrove is 29 July, provided that nothing happens in the meantime to further delay it.

Which year ?

mikestone

Warwickshire have now come clean and admitted the problem has been their failure to send paperwork to the ORR.
;
https://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co.uk/news/kenilworth-station-s-opening-delay-down-to-county-council-rail-regulator-confirms-1-8422980
;
Speaking on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire this morning (Tuesday), the county council's joint managing director Monica Fogarty said the station was 'very close' to opening.

She added: "The station is complete and is physically ready for operation. We are today (Tuesday) submitting that information to the ORR.

"In good faith we cannot issue a date (for opening) until the ORR have signed it off."
;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk