News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Hansons

Started by Mike360, June 06, 2012, 03:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Peter123 on June 07, 2012, 04:56:28 PM
I think the comment was that NX arent interested in Hanson's not that Arriva isnt interested in NX(WM).

Oh, that wasn't how I read it,

Again even if NX were interested in either of those companies, I would have thought the Competition Commission would block any takeover attempts / impose restrictions due to percentage share of the WM market that NXWM already has

Tomjusttom

Quote from: Winston on June 07, 2012, 04:45:56 PM
Quote from: Tomjusttom on June 07, 2012, 12:13:58 AM
Quote from: Peter123 on June 06, 2012, 06:55:54 PM

That rumour has been said for Midland and Rotala too but not National Express - I wonder why!

As regards Arriva not being interest in National Express, it may have something to do with the minor difference in price tags between the above companies of some £940 Million based on today's closing price, NXWM are part of a large multinational group and I very much doubt NXWM would be sold off individually even it Arriva were interested, as it produces high profit margins. Plus any deal would no doubt attract interest from the competition commission. It's also questionable whether Deut she Bahn (Arriva's parent company) could finance another deal of that size, even at NX's current low share price, NX are worth more than what DB paid for Arriva

I was being sarcastic with the "I wonder why" bit!

D10

Quote from: Tomjusttom on June 07, 2012, 12:09:57 AM
Quote from: D10 on June 06, 2012, 09:14:31 PM
Talking of Hansons, I saw on VOSA today that they had registered a Sunday service on the 227 to Kinver for one day only on the 17th June. Does anybody know what is happening on that day?
Quote from: 4504 on June 06, 2012, 11:03:54 PM
Do Hansons operate Sunday services?

I can confirm it is only a special one day service for the Kinver Fair.

Thanks Tom that explains it!

hartshill busman 724210

Wouldnt you think rotalas midland operation would fit better with arrivas plans ? As that would overnight make them second largest operator in the centro area without competition commision issues.

Discodave

Quote from: hartshill busman on June 08, 2012, 03:37:10 PM
Wouldnt you think rotalas midland operation would fit better with arrivas plans ? As that would overnight make them second largest operator in the centro area without competition commision issues.
Possible but with the past takeover of chase arriva made no effort in walsall and just packed up.  Plus being everything is run by thurmaston head offfice the garage manangement is just for show they have no clue how to compete NX would just flood arrivas main areas and wipe them out also a lot of rotalas fleet needs investment and do not forget redditch first already compete with arriva in leicester and stoke (wardles) do they want to be attacked on all fronts I do not think so.

hartshill busman 724210

I hear what you say Dave but all the bus companies that work in the Shires seem to be looking enviously at PTE regions as the money dries up.It was curious why Arriva bought Chase and then pulled back.But Rotala bought loads of small operators to build an empire then gave most of the routes up.Perhaps NXWM have more muscle than we know.

hartshill busman 724210

Oh and they also have a tied up clientelle in their travelcard business. ;)

PM

I got the Hanson's 004 today. SN55 dart in as new condition, polite driver, fast journey with about 10 people on the journey as a whole which isnt bad for a newly reintroduced route. I think it's a handy link and I hope that Hanson's do well on the route!

Discodave

Quote from: hartshill busman on June 08, 2012, 05:08:20 PM
I hear what you say Dave but all the bus companies that work in the Shires seem to be looking enviously at PTE regions as the money dries up.It was curious why Arriva bought Chase and then pulled back.But Rotala bought loads of small operators to build an empire then gave most of the routes up.Perhaps NXWM have more muscle than we know.
The past arriva md (not Bob Hind) wanted to expand cannock back into the west midlands and the number 1 was a result of this seeing chase were doing well but there nose was put out of joint so they put on a 860 with cheaper fares and hitting cannock hard.  I think arriva only bought chase to get rid of them off the 1 and 860.  There attitude seems to be not to compete but offer to buy if they are big like NXWM just go away and even though it is illegal I think there was an aggreement  between Nx and arriva with regards to them going out of cannock and now arriva doing all cannock walsall routes it just seems too cosy 

winston

Quote from: Discodave on June 09, 2012, 10:13:23 PM
Quote from: hartshill busman on June 08, 2012, 05:08:20 PM
The past arriva md (not Bob Hind) wanted to expand cannock back into the west midlands and the number 1 was a result of this seeing chase were doing well but there nose was put out of joint so they put on a 860 with cheaper fares and hitting cannock hard.  I think arriva only bought chase to get rid of them off the 1 and 860.  There attitude seems to be not to compete but offer to buy if they are big like NXWM just go away and even though it is illegal I think there was an aggreement  between Nx and arriva with regards to them going out of cannock and now arriva doing all cannock walsall routes it just seems too cosy

These days most bus groups don't tend to tread on either others toes, bus wars generally seem to be a thing of the past. First & Stagecoach seem to have a few skirmishes, particularly in North Devon & South Yorkshire. Pre the Arriva takeover of Chase there was talk that NXWM (TWM at the time) may have been negotiation with Arriva to buy their Cannock operations and possibly operate them from Walsall. I think if Arriva's plan is to have a larger WM operation they are more likely to go down the acquisition route, this will reduce the risk of starting from scratch and give them a platform to expand from

bususer12

Shame the 55 dart on the 004 has a massive scrape down the side

PM

Quote from: bususer12 on September 11, 2012, 12:07:04 AM
Shame the 55 dart on the 004 has a massive scrape down the side

Its had this for ages if its the huge one down the offside thats usually on the 004

PM

Was in Merry Hill bus station yesterday bus spotting and couldnt help but notice the lack of passengers on Hansons buses. Max I saw was about 4 people on one bus-a 226 I think... How can they afford new buses/make a profit with such small numbers of ppl using their services, many of whom are oaps??

Ash

Quote from: Peter123 on September 23, 2012, 08:50:18 PM
Was in Merry Hill bus station yesterday bus spotting and couldnt help but notice the lack of passengers on Hansons buses. Max I saw was about 4 people on one bus-a 226 I think... How can they afford new buses/make a profit with such small numbers of ppl using their services, many of whom are oaps??

May be they are losing out to diamond, i wouldnt know as i dont use the service.

Tomjusttom

Actually diamond are not doing well according to the figures i have seen. Some 226s of Hansons make a decent profit unlike the daytime 226 of diamonds which makes a massive loss. According to several diamond 226 drivers they are coming off it anyway next month so won't be long

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk