News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Wot - no wires!

Started by Tony, November 09, 2013, 05:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Looking like it is managing to pull a train with no overhead wires, here is an 86/2 on the back of a diverted Birmingham-Euston service running 'wrong line' so it can take the Nuneaton branch at Water Orton

http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class86/862unknown.html

Justin Tyme

I like it!

Around 1979 I did a Sunday morning New Street - Coventry trip this way, thanks to engineering works on the direct line.  A class 47 hauled a class 86-headed train to Nuneaton, where I had to change onto a DMU for Coventry.

I enjoyed this for two reasons: (1) I did it all quite legitimately using a WMPTE Travelcard - it was the official diversion that morning - and (2) there wasn't a passenger service on the Nuneaton - Coventry line at the time.  IIRC the DMU had to reverse onto a parallel line before we could get into Coventry Station.

This arrangement didn't last long.  A few weeks later, when I next travelled to Coventry on a Sunday morning, the diversion meant an EMU to Birmingham International and then a WMPTE (Coventry) Fleetline or Metrobus to Coventry Station.  That was a good blast along the Meriden by-pass but not as "exotic" as via Nuneaton!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk