News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

South Solihull network review

Started by Stu, March 24, 2013, 01:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

This has been mentioned in another thread here, but to save that particular thread from becoming irrelevant, I'm reposting the information here for further discussion.

From http://www.meridenparishcouncil.org.uk/index.html

QuoteProposed new bus network for South Solihull

Communication from Centro

Centro is looking for feedback on the proposed new bus network for South Solihull, due to be implemented in June 2013. This has been developed following feedback from the public consultation carried out before Christmas. We have tried to incorporate as many requests as possible but clearly it has not been possible to achieve everything.

We are not conducting a full public consultation on these proposals as there are likely to be a whole host of conflicting views from residents depending on whether or not their individual requests, as outlined in the initial consultation responses, have been satisfied, however we are requesting that Parish Councils, Residents Associations and elected members review the proposals and comment on behalf of their wider communities, and assess whether in general key local needs have been met.

Any comments or detailed queries on proposed routes should be directed to Andrew Harding or Steve Hayes (andrewharding@centro.org.uk or stevenhayes@centro.org.uk) and we will endeavour to address any issues where possible as resources allow. Please ensure that any comments are with us by Thursday 28th March, after this the routes will be fixed.

Please note that the Taxibus and National Express routes that operate within this area are not anticipated to change as part of this review, all proposals are draft and also subject to any commercial services being registered that are outside of Centro's control.

Proposed bus routes (PDF):

Map of updated routes (PDF):
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

What puzzles me is why there has never been any mention of this on Centro / Network West Midlands' websites. Even when the survey was available, it was never mentioned.

Anyway, we already know that Central Buses have registered commercial journeys on the 82, S2 and S3, which will presumably operate alongside any tendered journeys. Once this new network has been finalised, then the contracts will be put out to tender. Will be interesting to see if Central Buses also bid for tendered 82, S2/S3 services also, though I can see Diamond, Silverline and Johnsons tussling over these!

My locals:

Matt.N0056

Central Buses' S3 may cause problems due to it being different to the proposed 'new' S3. The 82/S2 seem to be pretty much then same, apart from the S2 terminating in Solihull Station

Liberator9

I would like to see Silverline and Johnsons get them.  Central buses would be good but I think it would be better to have a more local depot working the routes in case buses break down etc.  It'll be interesting if the S2 and S3 interwork again; at the moment one bus every hour changes from an S2 to an S3 at Dorridge, meaning that trips can be made to Knowle, via Bentley Heath. If the new system goes ahead, I'll be interested to see how this works. Be a shame actually to see Rotala go, some of the drivers have been excellent although the Optares have been a right nuisance in terms of reliability.

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Liberator9 on March 24, 2013, 02:27:41 PM
I would like to see Silverline and Johnsons get them.  Central buses would be good but I think it would be better to have a more local depot working the routes in case buses break down etc.  It'll be interesting if the S2 and S3 interwork again; at the moment one bus every hour changes from an S2 to an S3 at Dorridge, meaning that trips can be made to Knowle, via Bentley Heath. If the new system goes ahead, I'll be interested to see how this works. Be a shame actually to see Rotala go, some of the drivers have been excellent although the Optares have been a right nuisance in terms of reliability.

According to the proposed list the S3 and S4 will inter work in Dorridge and the 82 and 88 will inter work in Solihull

Liberator9

I can't see the S2 still just running from Dorridge to Solihull, via Bentley Heath. I live on the route and it only takes about 15-17 minutes; at the moment the S2 leaves Solihull at 57/27 and gets to Dorridge at 12/42. The S2 going to Solihull leave Dorridge at 08 and 38. That means that the timetable on the S2 could need 3 buses I think.

Stu

Quote from: Liberator9 on March 24, 2013, 02:47:30 PM
I can't see the S2 still just running from Dorridge to Solihull, via Bentley Heath. I live on the route and it only takes about 15-17 minutes; at the moment the S2 leaves Solihull at 57/27 and gets to Dorridge at 12/42. The S2 going to Solihull leave Dorridge at 08 and 38. That means that the timetable on the S2 could need 3 buses I think.

I would imagine the journeys will get retimed if this is to be the case, and only two buses will be needed. The S2 will also be continuing to Solihull Station, so that gives about a 20 minute running time in total, so approximately five minutes layover at either end.
My locals:

andy

Quote from: Stu on March 24, 2013, 04:10:27 PM
Quote from: Liberator9 on March 24, 2013, 02:47:30 PM

I would imagine the journeys will get retimed if this is to be the case, and only two buses will be needed. The S2 will also be continuing to Solihull Station, so that gives about a 20 minute running time in total, so approximately five minutes layover at either end.

Any service running through Solihull via the station and the High St needs far more than 5 minutes layover or it will be constantly late and /or cut trips out.

Liberator9

Very true; thats' why I reckon the S2 will have to be interworked with the S3 I reckon.

Kevin

Quote from: Stu on March 24, 2013, 02:07:17 PM
What puzzles me is why there has never been any mention of this on Centro / Network West Midlands' websites. Even when the survey was available, it was never mentioned.

Would they need to though? If it only affects the residents in that area and the parish council seem to have done the job of consulting them
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2013, 07:48:20 AM
Quote from: Stu on March 24, 2013, 02:07:17 PM

Would they need to though? If it only affects the residents in that area and the parish council seem to have done the job of consulting them

That is indeed true, but what about people who might not necessarily live in that area but travel there regularly?
My locals:

D10

This was publicised last year on the Centro website:

http://www.centro.org.uk/southsolihull.htm

So there has been some consultation about this.

Stu

Quote from: D10 on March 26, 2013, 09:05:50 PM
This was publicised last year on the Centro website:

http://www.centro.org.uk/southsolihull.htm

So there has been some consultation about this.

I know there was consultation, but at the time that page was available, there was no direct link to it on either Centro or Network West Midlands website. In fact someone on this forum found it first and shared the link here, then I shared it on my Facebook page.

It was probably only publicised locally in that area, maybe to stop the likes of Reiss from posting loads of suggestions about extending the network to Leamington, Stafford and Merry Hill  ;D.
My locals:

Ashley

Busmapper

These changes have now been confirmed by Centro.

Compared to the draft documents linked to in the opening post, the S4 will not continue beyond Cheswick Green to Blythe Valley, Hockley Heath & Dorridge (I guess the current S9 is therefore retained), and all S3 journeys will continue beyond Dorridge to Hockley Heath.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk