News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus breakdown experiences

Started by Stu, July 07, 2012, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

In all my years travelling on buses, I'm lucky enough to have never been on a bus taken out of service due to a road accident (though due to some of the maniacs on the Stratford Road and at the Stockfield Road junction on Warwick Road, I've come close a few times and I fear its only a matter of time  :-X), but its relatively rare that I've been on a bus taken out of service due to a mechanical fault or breakdown, a few I can remember:

Being on a 67 Omnicity Artic heading into city on the Lichfield Road, which ran out of fuel one Friday afternoonl.  :o

Was once heading to work one Saturday morning on a AG B6LE operated S3 service, which conked out on Prospect Lane near Sharmans Cross;  the driver managed to get it going again after 10 minutes, only for it to break down again on Blenheim Road by Longmore Road, at which point I got off and walked the rest of the way!  >:(

Turfed off a YW Omnilink operated 6 service out of Solihull on Blossomfield Road, because the driver had radioed to the garage that the power steering wasn't working.  :-\

Being removed off a WB Gemini on the 82 out of city at Summer Hill Road, because the bus stunk of diesel which was leaking at the back!  ???

(The shortest trip I ever made, one morning I got on the 30 in Acocks Green at 7:45am (so it had already made one trip to Solihull and back!), and was asked to leave just as I had sat down, as the bus had to go back to the garage because the ticket machine was MISSING!)  :o

And the tale I told elsewhere here, of the AG B7RLE (Eclipse Urban MK1) that had its mirror removed by a low branch, along with the following bus we were meant to be transferred onto!  :D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Discodave

Quote from: Stu on July 07, 2012, 07:35:14 PM
In all my years travelling on buses, I'm lucky enough to have never been on a bus taken out of service due to a road accident (though due to some of the maniacs on the Stratford Road and at the Stockfield Road junction on Warwick Road, I've come close a few times and I fear its only a matter of time  :-X), but its relatively rare that I've been on a bus taken out of service due to a mechanical fault or breakdown, a few I can remember:

Being on a 67 Omnicity Artic heading into city on the Lichfield Road, which ran out of fuel one Friday afternoonl.  :o

Was once heading to work one Saturday morning on a AG B6LE operated S3 service, which conked out on Prospect Lane near Sharmans Cross;  the driver managed to get it going again after 10 minutes, only for it to break down again on Blenheim Road by Longmore Road, at which point I got off and walked the rest of the way!  >:(

Turfed off a YW Omnilink operated 6 service out of Solihull on Blossomfield Road, because the driver had radioed to the garage that the power steering wasn't working.  :-\

Being removed off a WB Gemini on the 82 out of city at Summer Hill Road, because the bus stunk of diesel which was leaking at the back!  ???

(The shortest trip I ever made, one morning I got on the 30 in Acocks Green at 7:45am (so it had already made one trip to Solihull and back!), and was asked to leave just as I had sat down, as the bus had to go back to the garage because the ticket machine was MISSING!)  :o

And the tale I told elsewhere here, of the AG B7RLE (Eclipse Urban MK1) that had its mirror removed by a low branch, along with the following bus we were meant to be transferred onto!  :D

So much for the takings if it was a signiture 30 the poles were always on the fiddle apolgise if it was an english driver

PM

Haha Dave-tho I notice that diamond no longer seem to have m(any) polish drivers any more.

Ash

Quote from: Peter123 on July 07, 2012, 08:21:55 PM
Haha Dave-tho I notice that diamond no longer seem to have m(any) polish drivers any more.

Ive noticed that the diamond routes ive been on the drivers seem to be English and a few women drivers appearing

Stu

Sorry, I should have pointed out that at the time, it was a NXWM 30, and I meant the ticket printer. Though an engineer had turned up with a ticket machine!  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PM

Quote from: Ash on July 07, 2012, 10:13:19 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on July 07, 2012, 08:21:55 PM

Ive noticed that the diamond routes ive been on the drivers seem to be English and a few women drivers appearing

I agree. I wonder why the Polish drivers have left-or have they been movede onto the tendered routes??

DC3

627 - I took over the S2 at Olton Station, because it was bought in late I only changed the seat and off I went, pushed the pedal down for steering height and pulled the steering wheel towards me and pulled the whole steering column out!

1441 - This was always known for having a small tank, and I have ran out of deisel many a time on the 71 because of it!

Could go on for hours, the mount I broke down in awkward places is quite a lot!

Rob H

A few years ago I got on 2869 on the 41 at Acocks Green and when I got on the driver was on the radio to AG Garage telling them the battery was running down and when 2869 reached the Garage it was swapped for 2849

Two Occasions with 4142

1) In March 2011 I was on 4142 on the 60 and while it was travelling down the Coventry Road when smoke began appearing from the engine and when it reached Hay Mills the driver stopped the bus completely and told us to get on the 4621 on the 900 behind

2) A while ago I was on 4142 on the 900 back to sheldon and when reached Hay Mills every time 4142 pulled up to a stop the engine cut out and when it reached the Wheatsheaf the driver decided to radio BC Garage and tell them that 4142 kept cutting out and they told the driver not to continue
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Nathan4775

Blue Diamond have 2 polish drivers that operate the 53, I dont know if they have more but
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Ashley

I was on 4312 yesterday on the 1, everything was fine it seemed, but when we got into Wolves, we were told to get off and jump on 4586, an engineer had taken 4312 and the same driver joine dus, i asked what happened and he just ignored me

Liberator9

Why doesn't that surprise me with 627! Why did 1441 have a smaller tank?

Ashley

4003 packed up in Wolves around 11am. The driver used the words ''piece of sh'it'' I asssume he meant the bus lol

SMK

Quote from: Ashley on July 17, 2012, 07:38:31 PM
4003 packed up in Wolves around 11am. The driver used the words ''piece of sh'it'' I asssume he meant the bus lol
Not sure if it was 4003 but around 9:45am it looked like a Spectra had broken down in the 79/39 bay in the bus station.
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Andrew1991

I was involved in a colision on the #1 from wolverhampton to dudley last december, after checking that the car driver was ok after he slammed into the back of the bus he noticed the board on the back of the bus advertising Wolverhampton University and burst out laughing. It read "Don't Panic"

vinh1000

Been on the 9 where it was parked up and a Diamond bus behind crashed into it's rear causing a 45 minute delay at Cradley Heath
1403 - was on here enough times driver kept getting ****ed as engine kept cutting out route 46 (know this driver also)
Have been on a Midland in Walsall where it was meant to set off but the oil had all gone and no brake fluid
16 - Diamond only a month ago stopped outside Selfridges because the gearbox has gone - polish driver only said kaput! :P
22/23 out of service as Wayfarer 2 decides to freeze (most likely due to amount of RAM inside the hardware)
Scania Omnilink - Route 46 - about 8 months ago was on the brakes kept releasing all the air which meant they weren't working as such and red warning lights - out of service - driver just sat there and read newspaper for 2 hours (nb I know him so its OK :))
The 7 Perry Common colliding with a car at the livery street bridge :P driver of car was a chinese guy who did a runner

should I go on.. lol :P
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk