News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

1 April 2018 service changes

Started by PB2938, February 26, 2018, 10:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB2938

952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

ntw456

Only being ran by tamworth on Sundays

BusMan Greg

This is terrible, cutting service times down to as early as 4 in the afternoon???

Bob

Most of it down to Tory council subsidy cuts. The ones Trainbasher reckons are fine

the trainbasher

Quote from: Bob on February 26, 2018, 05:02:10 PM
Most of it down to Tory council subsidy cuts. The ones Trainbasher reckons are fine

I was referring to how little used services which the ratepayer is ratepayer is playing stupid money for when only 2 or 3 people are using them.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Bob

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 26, 2018, 07:15:24 PM
I was referring to how little used services which the ratepayer is ratepayer is playing stupid money for when only 2 or 3 people are using them.

More than 2 or 3 people use them i can assure you. You havent a clue. For example the 1145 pm stafford to cannock route was always at least half full sometimes more every single time ive caught it. Admittedly many people were older pass holders but it was certainly decently used. Also do you not think people have to get home from work of an evening? Or to work on a Sunday. Typical Tory tripe coming out of your mouth, know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Trident 4194

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 26, 2018, 08:37:17 PM
Nationalisation is the answer 😉

Haven't you noticed? These services are being withdrawn because of a lack of money from local government. What makes you think the money would suddenly be found if local government were running the buses? (Ignoring the political arguments as the same people would still be in power)

Bob

Quote from: Tony on February 26, 2018, 08:39:06 PM
Haven't you noticed? These services are being withdrawn because of a lack of money from local government. What makes you think the money would suddenly be found if local government were running the buses? (Ignoring the political arguments as the same people would still be in power)

I personally dont believe Staffs County Council ( millions on swanky new offices and a brand new library for Stafford the third in about 25 years!!!) Cant afford it, id say its more Tory ideology based. Staffs have never really been bothered about buses to be honest!

Bob

Maybe all these cuts will be enough to make Arriva cut their losses in Cannock?

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on February 26, 2018, 08:39:06 PM

To be honest though the government waste money on other things, bus services of an evening/ Sundays are surely crucial in order to achieve their objective of full employment, as cutting services then stops mobility of labour- which then means unemployment increases, then gov has to spend more money and has less tax revenue through incomes- its a complete circle.

The government doesn't spend its limited amount of money in the correct way in my opinion

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 26, 2018, 09:07:00 PM
To be honest though the government waste money on other things, bus services of an evening/ Sundays are surely crucial in order to achieve their objective of full employment, as cutting services then stops mobility of labour- which then means unemployment increases, then gov has to spend more money and has less tax revenue through incomes- its a complete circle.

The government doesn't spend its limited amount of money in the correct way in my opinion

So in one paragraph you've just defeated your own argument for nationalisation

Bob

Quote from: Tony on February 26, 2018, 09:15:10 PM

Nationalised bus services locally werent that bad Tony? Midland Red North were a lot more reliable and kept buses in a better state than Arriva. They didnt use lightweight midi buses totally unsuited to interurban routes either. West Midlands PTE also ran a pretty decent service as well...

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on February 26, 2018, 09:15:10 PM

The nationalisation statement was to try and provoke a response/ debate.

Tony

Quote from: Bob on February 26, 2018, 09:21:30 PM
Nationalised bus services locally werent that bad Tony? Midland Red North were a lot more reliable and kept buses in a better state than Arriva. They didnt use lightweight midi buses totally unsuited to interurban routes either. West Midlands PTE also ran a pretty decent service as well...

Midland Red North were a private company and used even more unsuitable Ford Transits and LDV Sherpas on routes. The PTE was fine as long as you lived near a main road, or next door to a councillor. But my point isn't about which idea is better. It is just pointing out that a service completely under control of politicians is even more at the whim of whoever is in power at the time than the current system, so when a council cuts subsidised services like many are now chances are the same would happen with a privatised company, and possibly even more by draining any money from profitable services.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk