News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

New Cross Hospital Extension

Started by DJ, June 01, 2017, 09:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Wolverhampton Council are working towards a bid to extend the metro from Wolverhampton Train Station to New Cross Hospital, with stops at Bentley Bridge, Wednesfield, Heath Town and New Cross being proposed. There's no solid route plans, nor is there any funding confirmed as of now. It'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this proposal.

Express and Star article: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2017/06/01/new-cross-metro-stop-being-considered-/

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Kevin

Part of what was originally planned as a tram line beyond Wednesfield to Willenhall, Bentley and Walsall
Does this mean that's kind of back on the cards then?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

DJ

Yup, was originally part of the "5 W's" plan, linking Wolverhampton, Wednesfield, Willenhall, Walsall and Wednesbury. It's sorta back on the cards, as the council are proposing it, but since there's no solid route or funding as of yet, it could never happen, or take a decade like the line to Brierley Hill.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Roy

The West Midlands Combined Authority has produced a consultation document called "Movement for Growth" which details public transport improvements that it intends to implement over the next ten years.  The document is available on the TfWM website at https://www.tfwm.org.uk/events/draft-2026-delivery-plan-for-transport/.  The section on Midland Metro contains the following :-

The Midlands Metro Alliance will implement a £1.2 billion 10 year programme of tram network extensions and new lines.  The following extensions will be completed in the next 10 years:

• Centenary Square – Edgbaston Extension 2019 to 2020/21
• Wolverhampton Interchange 2019/20
• Eastside 2022/23
• Wednesbury – Brierley Hill 2023
• East Birmingham to Solihull 2026

Other potential schemes will require development work over the next ten years, including an extension from Wolverhampton Interchange to New Cross Hospital, Wednesbury to Walsall, and investigations into the feasibility of an extension from Digbeth through the Smithfield Development site to Edgbaston/University of Birmingham/University Hospitals Birmingham.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk