News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

I need photos

Started by YN64AOG, September 04, 2016, 09:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YN64AOG

I need photos for my website, ebtm.comxa.com.

You will be given credit.

Thanks!

Just re-done my website.  Check it out to see all my photos.  Updated almost every day!

T840MAK

Quote from: YN63 BYJ on September 04, 2016, 09:28:09 PM
I need photos for my website, ebtm.comxa.com.

You will be given credit.

Thanks!

Why can't you take them yourself, rather than asking other people for their photos to put on YOUR website?
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

Dom

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

If you don't mind, I have some constructive criticism...

First of all, if you are really serious about this, you should invest in a proper domain name.

Secondly, I don't know who your hosting provider is, but if they provide you with PHP and MySQL, and you have plenty of storage space, you might want to look into installing an open-source image gallery backend software, such as CopperMine, Gallery 2, ZenPhoto etc.

Finally, does the internet need yet another bus-photo gallery website? (no offence Tony!) With a plethora of bus photos widely available on various independent websites, such as Tony's, as well as numerous collections and galleries on the likes of Flickr, you're really only offering something unique if your own website features your own photos.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on September 05, 2016, 08:06:16 PM
If you don't mind, I have some constructive criticism...

First of all, if you are really serious about this, you should invest in a proper domain name.

Secondly, I don't know who your hosting provider is, but if they provide you with PHP and MySQL, and you have plenty of storage space, you might want to look into installing an open-source image gallery backend software, such as CopperMine, Gallery 2, ZenPhoto etc.

Finally, does the internet need yet another bus-photo gallery website? (no offence Tony!) With a plethora of bus photos widely available on various independent websites, such as Tony's, as well as numerous collections and galleries on the likes of Flickr, you're really only offering something unique if your own website features your own photos.

Exactly, the web is awash with bus photos and i know where to look if i need to look at a photo of London buses, Tony's site for West Midland buses etc etc.

Unless someone is going to be dedicated (eg:Tony) and not get disinterested within a few months, there is no real point in yet another bus photo site!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 05, 2016, 08:16:48 PM
Exactly, the web is awash with bus photos and i know where to look if i need to look at a photo of London buses, Tony's site for West Midland buses etc etc.

Unless someone is going to be dedicated (eg:Tony) and not get disinterested within a few months, there is no real point in yet another bus photo site!

It is not cheap either
You either use one of the uploading sites like Flikr that allow you to put what you want on, but not easy to order and people only look at either if they are searching for a particular vehicle using the search or a search engine, or you put links to them where friends actually look.

Or you get your own site like I did, but without paying the couple of hundred pounds a year you will have a limited amount of room.

I am lucky that I put a lot of hard work into fotopic, a predecessor to flikr that went bankrupt, but git a good reputation on there. Even that wasn't free because the volume of photos I had meant I needed a premium account. The advantage of this was that fotopic then showed me how to use google ads to get back some of the costs they were charging.

When fotopic went under I was able to set up the current site with google ads on, and enough visitors to make google ads worth having. Now after 5 years of making sure I put enough new on every week to keep interest. I currently get approximately 1.2million hits a month and that does more than cover the cost of the site, but be warned you will need to offer something slightly different to what is already on the web to get anywhere near that.

YN64AOG

OK, thanks for the comments and i think I'll stick with my own for now   :)

Just re-done my website.  Check it out to see all my photos.  Updated almost every day!

GeminiFan1991

I agree with these comments here as they offer constructive criticism whilst not dismissing your request.

Generally speaking their are more than enough bus photos on the net. Speaking in regards to NX, Tony easily has the most comprehensive collection of photos I've seen. Buses are organized in a neat table format which lists vehicles in numerical order and the colour co-ordination helps with distinguishing vehicles with different liveries and branding and photos are added on a chronological basis with dates give. A good deal of his photos also feature buses parked in the garage which helps give a "behind the scenes" feel. Off the top of my head after Tony I'd say John has a good collection as well.
It's worth noting people like Tony & John have been taking photos for years so you need to have a long term plan (i.e. Don't be doing this as a short term project), keep at it. Try to add your own twist. When I got into taking bus photos, my twist was taking photos of bus garages. I wanted to show them parked up at home as opposed to on the road.

Distinguish yourself.
Put the time and effort in
And in regards to the photos, its good you know to acknowledge photos that aren't your own but if you want full control, you'll have to take your own photos. I suggest investing in a digital camera (Phone cameras are good but you dont want to compromise on overall quality) and going out and clicking your own photos. That will help with seeing how buses work and you can build a good portfolio.

Good Luck !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

vinh1000

Also use a paid web hosting service. 000webhost isn't good in terms of service. A domain can easily be picked up for a quid or 2.
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk