News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Accidents/Incidents.

Started by P419 EJW, June 15, 2014, 11:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: BrumKev86 on March 14, 2024, 11:50:45 AMJust seen the video of this, obviously won't post it on here.  Queueing traffic on the inside and middle lanes of the A45 to the island. The bus lane which is the outside lane is clear, bus doing upto the speed limit, a car then decides to venture into the bus lane right in front of the bus, bus driver has no chance to brake.

I really hope nobody is seriously injured, but honestly nothing surprises me about the standard of driving not just in Birmingham but Small Heath in particular. Gotta be thousands without valid licences or disqualified, as there's no driving schools that would teach the standard of driving round there.
I agree with you, the standard of driving is sometimes absolutely shocking. But do let us remember that the majority of motorists do drive correctly, however the minority of idiots gives them all a bad reputation.

After witnessing a high speed collision on Stoney Lane last Friday morning, I actually get nervous while travelling on buses now - the amount of heart-stopping near misses I see is astounding.

Regarding this incident, I've just seen a video from Instagram that the Birmingham Mail posted. While you can't clearly see what happened, it would seem that someone thought it would be a good/clever idea to try and use the bus lane to beat the queue. What they obviously failed to do was use their mirrors, otherwise they would have seen the bus approaching.

As I've said on numerous occasions, it only takes one impatient idiot to cause an incident that then affects hundreds of others.

Bus lanes are there for a reason, keep out of them!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Some Drivers really do lack brains and common sense. I was walking to the Football and had got onto Bentley Road South, usually the 37 comes past me, I hadn't seen it so wondered as I had took a deviation had it gone past, next thing I hear is a horn and see the driver of the 37 have to slam the brakes of the Omnilink fully on as some absolute moron in a Silver Car had tried to pull out of Willenhall Lane in front of it. Why did they not look or decode to pull out in front of a bus. I've never been involved in any crashes, have been on a bus that was involved in a near miss. On the 34/37 last year going down the Wednesbury Road we get into Pleck and a driver tried to pull out from the side of us, as they park on both sides in Pleck it narrows the Road, luckily there wasn't another bus coming past. As our Driver honked his horn and swerved only for the car to then pull out in front of us when we had got back onto the correct side of the road prompting him to have slam on the brakes. There was some Swearing from the Passengers and head shaking, surprised the Driver didn't swear himself. I saw him in the mirror shaking his head and raising his arm almost asking Why?
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

BrumKev86

Quote from: Stu on March 14, 2024, 08:14:07 PMI agree with you, the standard of driving is sometimes absolutely shocking. But do let us remember that the majority of motorists do drive correctly, however the minority of idiots gives them all a bad reputation.

After witnessing a high speed collision on Stoney Lane last Friday morning, I actually get nervous while travelling on buses now - the amount of heart-stopping near misses I see is astounding.

Regarding this incident, I've just seen a video from Instagram that the Birmingham Mail posted. While you can't clearly see what happened, it would seem that someone thought it would be a good/clever idea to try and use the bus lane to beat the queue. What they obviously failed to do was use their mirrors, otherwise they would have seen the bus approaching.

As I've said on numerous occasions, it only takes one impatient idiot to cause an incident that then affects hundreds of others.

Bus lanes are there for a reason, keep out of them!

Since I've moved to the South West I've noticed how much different it is on the roads. You still get idiots but in general people have alot more respect and consequently I enjoy driving much more. It's not to say everyone that drives in the West Midlands is terrible but I think there's a sizeable amount of people who have a sense of entitlement, that they can do what they want with no consequences. So when they get behind a wheel, how are they gonna behave?. That's why in an accident hotspot areas like inner Birmingham they needs to be bus lane cameras, speed cameras and red lights cameras. Bordesley Circus is awful for red light jumping yet nothing is ever done.

In terms of this accident, I'm glad the bus driver is okay, obviously not his fault. Also the passengers and others involved are okay, must have been scary for all onboard. I too Stu was nervous when travelling on some buses in Birmingham, the X1/X2 that goes through Heybarnes Circus is one of the areas. You can just see a car going through the red light as the bus is going through the island. I'm not a fan of an outside lane bus lane so I'm not sure if the road layout around there is better than it was in terms of safety. Are there bus lanes cameras down there as a deterrent to people as I've read that cars have been seen using the bus lane before?

Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

cardew

Quote from: BrumKev86 on March 16, 2024, 08:02:50 AM. That's why in an accident hotspot areas like inner Birmingham they needs to be bus lane cameras, speed cameras and red lights cameras.

Unfortunately the government seems to disagree, for votes

One option being looked at, which would be particularly controversial, would be to cut off councils from access to the Driver Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) database, which matches car registrations to their owners, to prevent them from fining drivers who pass through LTNs. 

Cutting DVLA access to stop LTNs could mean councils also being unable to use cameras for other means, such as enforcing parking outside schools, or on bus routes and cycle lanes........

This is expected to be the subject of a consultation, with a DfT source saying ministers were "still actively looking at the options" for doing this, albeit with a timetable given only as "at a future point".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/15/uk-government-seeks-to-limit-low-traffic-schemes-as-part-of-its-plan-for-drivers

the trainbasher

QuoteUnfortunately the government seems to disagree, for votes

One option being looked at, which would be particularly controversial, would be to cut off councils from access to the Driver Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) database, which matches car registrations to their owners, to prevent them from fining drivers who pass through LTNs. 

Cutting DVLA access to stop LTNs could mean councils also being unable to use cameras for other means, such as enforcing parking outside schools, or on bus routes and cycle lanes........

This is expected to be the subject of a consultation, with a DfT source saying ministers were "still actively looking at the options" for doing this, albeit with a timetable given only as "at a future point".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/15/uk-government-seeks-to-limit-low-traffic-schemes-as-part-of-its-plan-for-drivers
Well, from a Civil Parking Enforcement point of view, that would be fun (i say sarcastically) as it'd mean that unpaid parking PCNs wouldn't be able to be chased up. I hope the Tories also ban those private parking lot from getting DVLA info as otherwise its going to cause an unfair advantage to them.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

karl724223

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 16, 2024, 04:50:15 PMWell, from a Civil Parking Enforcement point of view, that would be fun (i say sarcastically) as it'd mean that unpaid parking PCNs wouldn't be able to be chased up. I hope the Tories also ban those private parking lot from getting DVLA info as otherwise its going to cause an unfair advantage to them.
Biggest joke ever Dudley council civil parking enforcement 

suavegarv

Quote from: BrumKev86 on March 16, 2024, 08:02:50 AMSince I've moved to the South West I've noticed how much different it is on the roads. You still get idiots but in general people have alot more respect and consequently I enjoy driving much more. It's not to say everyone that drives in the West Midlands is terrible but I think there's a sizeable amount of people who have a sense of entitlement, that they can do what they want with no consequences. So when they get behind a wheel, how are they gonna behave?. That's why in an accident hotspot areas like inner Birmingham they needs to be bus lane cameras, speed cameras and red lights cameras. Bordesley Circus is awful for red light jumping yet nothing is ever done.

In terms of this accident, I'm glad the bus driver is okay, obviously not his fault. Also the passengers and others involved are okay, must have been scary for all onboard. I too Stu was nervous when travelling on some buses in Birmingham, the X1/X2 that goes through Heybarnes Circus is one of the areas. You can just see a car going through the red light as the bus is going through the island. I'm not a fan of an outside lane bus lane so I'm not sure if the road layout around there is better than it was in terms of safety. Are there bus lanes cameras down there as a deterrent to people as I've read that cars have been seen using the bus lane before?

There is a bus lane camera on the approach to Asda Island,but I've seen minibuses going through as well.

Lukeee

Quote from: suavegarv on March 16, 2024, 06:24:03 PMThere is a bus lane camera on the approach to Asda Island,but I've seen minibuses going through as well.
Minibuses can use bus lanes 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk