News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on August 28, 2013, 02:18:50 PM
Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM
Really glad that you have joined the forum Simon-great to have a member of rotala on here to answer our questions etc. I understand your initial reluctance but thanks for responding to the points!

2) It is good that you aware of having too many smaller buses and I am glad that you intend to address this-though isnt K126URP still in service? It was recently as really enjoyed a ride on it!!

The vehicle was removed from service on 1st September 2013. 

Is it a case of catch it while you can then if it will be withdrawn in a couple of days time?

3) Understand this entirely but just think that an already well run and successful route could be further improved

4) Yes probably because people are buying it up to avoid the fact that soon buses will be more expensive euro6 buses And yes, i imagine the investigation made fleet changes a bit of an issue

There is capacity before Euro 6, in all bus builders at present.  As you say, the investigation delayed investment.

Thats good news then

5) great news about the three centros and does make sense to standardise long acre on centros and send the only eclipse 2 there to wessex. though not so sure about solos for redditch-more small buses are definitely not needed there!! The enviros were a good buy though in my opinion and maybe rotala could look out for more of these?

We need to revise our plan with regards the buses that originally came from Wessex.  That being the 07 plate Centro's.  I am not sure I know which Enviro's you mean. 

I meant the three enviro300s boughts-the two ex hansons and two ex premiere. Sorry-didnt make that clear. 
6) To my knowledge these buses are DDA compliant!!

Not quite.  They are missing an interlock.  This would not cost much, and we will fit it to the buses in service.  The ones currently missing from service, we need to review and evaluate. Sorry didnt realise this but hopefully some could renter service to replace older MPDs?

Good news about the netowork review but it doesnt seem to have every redditch bus route actually on it which is a shame

I have looked at the marketing material, and I cannot see any Redditch Bus route missing.  It certainly wasn't our intention

Think the 146 at least is missing

9) to be honest, with regards to the 192 I would only like it to be reinstated on entusiasts grounds-i understand it is probably not financially viable

10) Great and about point 11 all I would say here is that the new buses gets it wrong again-tonnes of mistakes in this magazine recently and the quality seems to have gone downhill or is that just me that thinks that?

Thanks for answering these points but just a couple more

Can withdrawal dates for the cadets/KS03 solos be given?

Not at present I understand just I thought rotala's policy of selling buses that seem to break down a lot etc would eliminate these batches of buses

Also, how long do you think rotala will keep W567JVV, the AKW darts and the SVV and JUA and MNH darts-just interested as I like them and need to photo a couple more

We have lost a number of Centro tenders from October.  We need to assess what we need on going, this has not happened yet. Sorry to hear that though there does seem to be a bit of ridiculous bidding going on at the moment-first arriva and not wmsnt so diamond are competing against a registered charity which can get better tax rates etc which ISNT AT ALL FAIR and makes me cross to be honest

And the same with the first darts and presidents-where are they being stored and when will some be withdrawn from service and also could I email rotala seperately about a depot visit to photo some of the withdrawn stuff. Is that ok?

They are being stored between Redditch and Kidderminster.  Depots visits are not a problem, and you should contact dave.russell@rotala.co.uk  (he is away for 2 weeks from Yesterday).  A number have been withdrawn, a number will exit when either we have a buyer or we acquire the buses to replace them.   Thanks very much Simon! Might arrange one for a couple of weeks time then-is any depot a possibility-is much stored at tividale or mostly kidderminster/redditch/long acre?

Love the new style rotala branding eg for summer sale!! Next time, could this be put by the entrance to buses or at the bottom of the windscreen to advertise it a bit more? Think this was the only point of mine that you missed but just to say Im a huge fan of the current "style" if thats the right word? The redditch guides and timetables are absolutely spot on and in my view industry leading but is there one for kidderminster and other routes other than redditch/247/142/143? Could some be made for birmingham routes

Also, don't know to what extent you were involved with diamond buses in the early days of rotala ownership but I've got timetables for diamond 144/002/56 and connect 10/904/37/17/97/119. Were any other timetables produced out of interest-if you don't know this no worries-but Im thinking 301/404 as it was then or anything else and does rotala still have copies of these old timetables printed and possibly available to those of us who collect anything diamond buses

Cheers and Im sorry if the quoting thing has gone crazy!!!

Thanks very much for reading this and best of luck with improving diamond buses in the coming months

1.  E300's.  Yes, we are pleased with what we have acquired.
2.  W90*JNF - The none operational buses, I believe are beyond economical repair.
3.  There is a Kidderminster guide.  If you send me your address offline, I will post you one.

I am sorry I have mixed up the responses.  If I have missed anything let me know.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on August 28, 2013, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: andy on August 28, 2013, 07:10:17 PM
Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 28, 2013, 06:50:54 AM
3.   There are two reasons why

1.   We expected the Competition Commission report, to have a greater impact on the Multi-Operator ticketing in the West Midlands.  It didn't.   

Here we have it from the horse's mouth..... this is why no operator will ever make any serious inroads into NX's monopoly. And why Rotala in particular chooses to make its investment and concentrate it resources in other areas, where they can actually achieve a decent market share.  I don't think people realise how much of a monopoly NX have achieved via the lack of multi operator ticketing in this area. It simply doesn't happen anywhere else.

I agree Andy and having seen rotala's quality timetables and branded buses for the routes-it was let's be honest-a textbook effort and even then they couldnt get it to work so I agree it is unfair and anti-competitive. I would be interested to hear Simon though as to whether rotala are for or against reregulated operation. Just to open a can of worms...  :P

My view is irrelevant, until at some point there is the political desire to change the market, it will remain unchanged.

JoNi

It's not the market that needs changing its the cultures in NX!

Brands are not stick on colour labels but imaginative eye catching buses.
Nifty Fifty with granny peering out from back at road users behind, Brilliant.

Cedric

[
Love the new style rotala branding eg for summer sale!! Next time, could this be put by the entrance to buses or at the bottom of the windscreen to advertise it a bit more? Think this was the only point of mine that you missed but just to say Im a huge fan of the current "style" if thats the right word? The redditch guides and timetables are absolutely spot on and in my view industry leading but is there one for kidderminster and other routes other than redditch/247/142/143? Could some be made for birmingham routes

Also, don't know to what extent you were involved with diamond buses in the early days of rotala ownership but I've got timetables for diamond 144/002/56 and connect 10/904/37/17/97/119. Were any other timetables produced out of interest-if you don't know this no worries-but Im thinking 301/404 as it was then or anything else and does rotala still have copies of these old timetables printed and possibly available to those of us who collect anything diamond buses

Thanks very much for reading this and best of luck with improving diamond buses in the coming months
[/quote]
[/quote]

2.  W90*JNF - The none operational buses, I believe are beyond economical repair.
3.  There is a Kidderminster guide.  If you send me your address offline, I will post you one.

I am sorry I have mixed up the responses.  If I have missed anything let me know.
[/quote]
may  I say your guide for the Kidderminster local services and x3   it is good to have a proper guide
again rather than printout from  the Worcestershire hub Kidderminster   it would  be nice if  there was a guide that had the out of town 133/292/294/295/303 services
diamond 8\10/125/292

PM

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 28, 2013, 08:54:15 PM

1.   We expected the Competition Commission report, to have a greater impact on the Multi-Operator ticketing in the West Midlands.  It didn't.   

Here we have it from the horse's mouth..... this is why no operator will ever make any serious inroads into NX's monopoly. And why Rotala in particular chooses to make its investment and concentrate it resources in other areas, where they can actually achieve a decent market share.  I don't think people realise how much of a monopoly NX have achieved via the lack of multi operator ticketing in this area. It simply doesn't happen anywhere else.

I agree Andy and having seen rotala's quality timetables and branded buses for the routes-it was let's be honest-a textbook effort and even then they couldnt get it to work so I agree it is unfair and anti-competitive. I would be interested to hear Simon though as to whether rotala are for or against reregulated operation. Just to open a can of worms...  :P

My view is irrelevant, until at some point there is the political desire to change the market, it will remain unchanged.

Fair enough just interested and yes that is definitely true and can't see that happening very soon other than in very specific areas

PM

Hi Simon-have done away with the quoting as it wasnt really working for me so here goes

1) Definitely can't find the 146 on the network review

2) Could branding eg summer sale be photocopied or copied and printed to put by the door/on the cab door/at the bottom of the windscreens to promote the offers which are really good value!!

3) Great plan about possibly promoting returns on some buses

4) Might arrange a depot visit for a couple of weeks time and is any depot possible and can withdrawn stuff be photoed?

5) Could I pick up a Kidderminster guide if I visited kidderminster depot?

6)Could timetables be made for some birmingham routes?

This was the only other thing:

Cedric

diamond dart I got my Kidderminster guide from Kidderminster library 
diamond 8\10/125/292

PM

Quote from: bewminster on August 28, 2013, 10:09:16 PM

Great-I'll pick one up

StourportSam

Quote from: bewminster on August 28, 2013, 10:09:16 PM

Bewdley tourist information centre also had some last time I went in

Ash

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 28, 2013, 08:47:27 PM
Quote from: Ash on August 28, 2013, 12:47:28 PM
Glad someone from Rotala is answering some of our questions and queries so thank you for that.

I have a few general questions:

1) Is there any possibility in the future the 4 will be reinstated on a sunday to it's old 404E timetable just between Walsall and West Bromwich every 15 minutes, I caught the sunday service a few times when it was the 404E and always seemed popular with many of the mcv's been full when reaching Walsall or West Bromwich. I think the 4M every 30 minutes killed the service especially when operating just a few minutes behind NXWM 4M.

2) Will any return branding be applied to any vehicles especially the cadets which normally stay on the 4 or 301 advertising the cheap £2.50 return especially when NXWM advertise there's on their vehicles at £2.90.

3) Will 30212 return to service in the near future, also I haven't seen 30832 for a while is this bus in for repair or out of service.

Thank You.

1.  This will be reviewed in the near future.
2.  At present, we are reviewing the Tividale fleet post the October Centro changes.  At that point, we intend to do something.
3.  30212 - This vehicle has been badly damaged and I doubt it will return to fleet.
4.  30832 - This vehicle is in service

Thats good news about the 4 hopefully some sort of Sunday service will be reinstated.

Thanks for your reply

winston

Simon,

I assume you aready aware of the 03 plate E300 currently for sale at Southdown PSV?

http://www.southdownpsv.co.uk/sales/bus_details.php?bus=247

Or

2007 Scania/Wright (3 ex Reading) & 4 x Scania Omnicity (56 plate)?

http://www.nigelmccree.com/

Do the turnover figures released today with Rotala Plc half yearly report included much of a contribution from the newly acquired RH & KR operations?

Simon Dunn

Quote from: bewminster on August 28, 2013, 09:19:41 PM
[

[/quote]

[/quote]
may  I say your guide for the Kidderminster local services and x3   it is good to have a proper guide
again rather than printout from  the Worcestershire hub Kidderminster   it would  be nice if  there was a guide that had the out of town 133/292/294/295/303 services
[/quote]

If you send me your address I can arrange to have all timetables sent to you.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on August 28, 2013, 09:34:36 PM
Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 28, 2013, 08:54:15 PM

Fair enough just interested and yes that is definitely true and can't see that happening very soon other than in very specific areas

I am not trying to be difficult or funny, when responding I have to consider who may read my response.  Unfortunately this is public forum, I have very clear views on what is best for the West Midlands market.  Rotala actively participated in the CC investigation and there are numerous case studies with our involvement, which are in the public domain.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on August 28, 2013, 09:59:34 PM
Hi Simon-have done away with the quoting as it wasnt really working for me so here goes

1) Definitely can't find the 146 on the network review

2) Could branding eg summer sale be photocopied or copied and printed to put by the door/on the cab door/at the bottom of the windscreens to promote the offers which are really good value!!

3) Great plan about possibly promoting returns on some buses

4) Might arrange a depot visit for a couple of weeks time and is any depot possible and can withdrawn stuff be photoed?

5) Could I pick up a Kidderminster guide if I visited kidderminster depot?

6)Could timetables be made for some birmingham routes?

This was the only other thing:

1.  Where are you looking?
2.  We intend to carry it on.
4.  It is not a problem to photograph any buses at any depot. 
5.  Yes
6.  We have timetables for most routes, if not all.

Last week we cleared out our stores of old timetables.  There were timetables, which were out of date for all those services, unfortunately they have now been recycled.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Winston on August 29, 2013, 12:15:46 PM
Simon,

I assume you aready aware of the 03 plate E300 currently for sale at Southdown PSV?

http://www.southdownpsv.co.uk/sales/bus_details.php?bus=247

Or

2007 Scania/Wright (3 ex Reading) & 4 x Scania Omnicity (56 plate)?

http://www.nigelmccree.com/

Do the turnover figures released today with Rotala Plc half yearly report included much of a contribution from the newly acquired RH & KR operations?

1.  I want to upgrade the fleet, although I have acquired older buses my preference is to look at newer vehicles than these. 
2.  There are a number of reasons why, these are of no interest
      I made an offer recently on some Scania's (not these).  I don't value the vehicles as being worth what Mr McCree wants for them. 
     The Scania's that we operate, are poor on fuel. 
     Priority for long buses in our fleet is Redditch, and these would represent another variation of vehicle.
     We have made an offer on 15 vehicles for wihch we are awaiting a response.

3.  Interim Numbers.

Redditch was acquired on 2nd March @ 2359 hrs.  The interims represent the period up to 31st May 2013, and therefore are nearly 3 months.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk