News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Dunn

This forum topic is provided for the benefit of asking direct questions to Simon Dunn regarding Rotala bus operations and services.

If you have a pertinent question to ask, please do so here, and Simon will respond when he is able to. General customer service related enquiries should of course continue to be sent through the appropriate channels.

West Midlands: https://www.diamondbuses.com/west-midlands/contact-us/
Worcestershire & Warwickshire: https://www.diamondbuses.com/worcester-warwickshire/contact-us/

Note to other members: this is not a general 'chit-chat' area, so any answers or replies you may post here yourself may be removed by the forum moderators and admins, in order to keep this topic 'clear' for Simon to answer.

Really glad that you have joined the forum Simon-great to have a member of rotala on here to answer our questions etc. I understand your initial reluctance but thanks for responding to the points!

2) It is good that you aware of having too many smaller buses and I am glad that you intend to address this-though isnt K126URP still in service? It was recently as really enjoyed a ride on it!!

The vehicle was removed from service on 1st September 2013. 

3) Understand this entirely but just think that an already well run and successful route could be further improved

4) Yes probably because people are buying it up to avoid the fact that soon buses will be more expensive euro6 buses And yes, i imagine the investigation made fleet changes a bit of an issue

There is capacity before Euro 6, in all bus builders at present.  As you say, the investigation delayed investment.

5) great news about the three centros and does make sense to standardise long acre on centros and send the only eclipse 2 there to wessex. though not so sure about solos for redditch-more small buses are definitely not needed there!! The enviros were a good buy though in my opinion and maybe rotala could look out for more of these?

We need to revise our plan with regards the buses that originally came from Wessex.  That being the 07 plate Centro's.  I am not sure I know which Enviro's you mean. 

6) To my knowledge these buses are DDA compliant!!

Not quite.  They are missing an interlock.  This would not cost much, and we will fit it to the buses in service.  The ones currently missing from service, we need to review and evaluate.

Good news about the netowork review but it doesnt seem to have every redditch bus route actually on it which is a shame

I have looked at the marketing material, and I cannot see any Redditch Bus route missing.  It certainly wasn't our intention

9) to be honest, with regards to the 192 I would only like it to be reinstated on entusiasts grounds-i understand it is probably not financially viable

10) Great and about point 11 all I would say here is that the new buses gets it wrong again-tonnes of mistakes in this magazine recently and the quality seems to have gone downhill or is that just me that thinks that?

Thanks for answering these points but just a couple more

Can withdrawal dates for the cadets/KS03 solos be given?

Not at present

Also, how long do you think rotala will keep W567JVV, the AKW darts and the SVV and JUA and MNH darts-just interested as I like them and need to photo a couple more

We have lost a number of Centro tenders from October.  We need to assess what we need on going, this has not happened yet.

And the same with the first darts and presidents-where are they being stored and when will some be withdrawn from service and also could I email rotala seperately about a depot visit to photo some of the withdrawn stuff. Is that ok?

They are being stored between Redditch and Kidderminster.  Depots visits are not a problem, and you should contact dave.russell@rotala.co.uk  (he is away for 2 weeks from Yesterday).  A number have been withdrawn, a number will exit when either we have a buyer or we acquire the buses to replace them.
Love the new style rotala branding eg for summer sale!! Next time, could this be put by the entrance to buses or at the bottom of the windscreen to advertise it a bit more?

Thanks very much for reading this and best of luck with improving diamond buses in the coming months

Simon Dunn

Hi Simon.

I am a user of your 226(W) service and maybe you could answer a few questions

Why have the 2 Y plate darts been debranded?
What's with the collection of just about anything from Solos to Red Diamond pointers on the 226?
Will we be seeing newer vehicles/a new branding on the 226?

Also, why did Diamond just implement a West Bromwich extension on Sundays only for the 226W and throughout the week?

The bsues on this route, operate some of the highest mileages of all the buses from Tividale.  This was the reason for change.  The 226W is a Centro subsidised contract, and following the Sandwell network review they asked to change the route.

Simon Dunn

Hi Simon & welcome,

Thanks for joining and giving us the ability to ask you questions, we appreciate as Rotala Plc CEO that your are tied by Stock market rules etc,

Couple of questions/points from me:

1. Do Rotala prefer to buy new buses generally from dealer stock as and when the need to upgrade/replace the existing fleet & new contract wins dictate, rather than ordering a larger batch of say 40 x B7RLE/Wright annually for fleet replacement for group and achieving a lower cost per unit for buying in bulk?

2. We were led to believe through Tony that 3 x B7RLE/Wright would be released from Wessex to Tividale upon receipt of their 4 x 13 plate examples (30936-30939) to complement their 4 new 13 plate examples & the 3 ex Midland Classic 57/08 plate examples, have plans changed or are they still expected?

3. We've noticed over the last couple of years that Diamond have withdrawn from a number of long standing commercial routes from both Long Acre i.e. 17, 37 & 97 & the 9 & 74 from Tividale, obviously the economy/reduced passenger journey's may have played some part, the B'ham City Centre omission zone (min Euro 3 requirement) another, has increased competition from NX also had an impact of your decision to withdraw?

4. Have Rotala Plc considered the 10 plate Scania Omnicity double decker ex Scania Demo or the batch of 08 plate dual door ex London Central Omnicity double deckers currently for sale at Ensign Bus & Coach as potential options to complement the examples currently at Wessex

5. How many additional B7RLE/Wright have been purchased for Wessex? I've seen a report of 2 allover white B7RLE registered BL13SWW and BL13SWX. The poster also goes on to say that there are two branded for route 13, not sure if they are also new or from the existing fleet, can you advise?

6. Have you had any more luck selling on any further redundant Levantes? I'm surprised another NX contractor didn't snap up a batch of that size for fleet replacement or even NX themselves for owned Op's

7. Do you intend to undertake a similar review of your Kidderminster operation in due course?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

1.   Since about 2010, the market for buying buses has changed.  There has been no need for stock orders.  We have however made orders for buses to Optare for Hybrid Single Decks, to Volvo for the Hybrid double decks, and the 4 normal Deckers we acquired last year.  We will shortly be ordering another 2 new Double Deckers for the South West, and we are looking at options for at present for next year.  Our rates for new buses are the same (excluding extras) whether we buy 1 or 50. 

2.    The plan was for 3 Ex Park & Ride Volvo Centros to come to the West Midlands.  There are a large number of service frequencies increases in the South West.  All but one of these vehicles will now go back to Keynsham. 

3.   There are two reasons why

1.   We expected the Competition Commission report, to have a greater impact on the Multi-Operator ticketing in the West Midlands.  It didn't.   

2.   We wanted to improve and focus on the quality of the rest of our service provision

4.   Having acquired and operated a large number of Ex-London vehicles, I am not a fan hence my reluctance on the 08 plate buses.  On the 10 plate bus, I made Ross an offer which he refused.  We seem to both have a different view on its worth.

5.   The 2 you have mentioned have been purchased, plus 2 "59" plate Volvo Centro's, plus BX62FGD will be transferred (one "59" plate will replace this)  The rebranded ones are from existing fleet.

6.   At the end of this week, I should have a better idea of what is happening.

7.   Yes

Simon Dunn

I hope you are doing a review of kidderminster services as there are quite a few routes that if they where tweak a bit on the route they take would be able to keep to time better , and most of the services finish around 6.00pm to 6.30 pm. when some people are still at work if the y finished around 7.00 pm would be better the other week I missed my last bus by about 2 mins the bus I came to Kidderminster got delay by a diversion and traffic at that was only 5.50pm which is my last bus a local service not out of town and I had to have a taxi . and at to wait for that as they are busy at that time taking people home from work who get together and share one and people who missed there last bus, I know quite a few taxi drivers who have all told me this

It is our intention to start the same exercise in Kidderminster we are currently doing in Redditch.

the trainbasher

Hi again Simon.

Another question about the 226 if I may, just so satisfy some of the views held by residents of the area I live in.

Why did diamond initially launch on Monday to Saturday daytime services, initially within a couple of minutes of the Hansons journeys whereas surely creating a every 15 minute joint frequency would have been better initially.

Another view which is held locally was that the intention was not to promote diamond but to, as several people have said in my area, run Hansons off the road. This was inflamed by rumours of diamond drivers saying that this was the intention.

My question therefore is to know if that was what was to happen or was it something that was hoped to be different but turned out to be just one of then things.

On a personal note I must say I like the blue livery on the Wright Eclipses.

(Please note I am not asking on behalf of Hansons however much some people probably think I am)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 28, 2013, 06:50:54 AM
Hi Simon & welcome,

Thanks for joining and giving us the ability to ask you questions, we appreciate as Rotala Plc CEO that your are tied by Stock market rules etc,

1. Do Rotala prefer to buy new buses generally from dealer stock as and when the need to upgrade/replace the existing fleet & new contract wins dictate, rather than ordering a larger batch of say 40 x B7RLE/Wright annually for fleet replacement for group and achieving a lower cost per unit for buying in bulk?

2. We were led to believe through Tony that 3 x B7RLE/Wright would be released from Wessex to Tividale upon receipt of their 4 x 13 plate examples (30936-30939) to complement their 4 new 13 plate examples & the 3 ex Midland Classic 57/08 plate examples, have plans changed or are they still expected?

3. We've noticed over the last couple of years that Diamond have withdrawn from a number of long standing commercial routes from both Long Acre i.e. 17, 37 & 97 & the 9 & 74 from Tividale, obviously the economy/reduced passenger journey's may have played some part, the B'ham City Centre omission zone (min Euro 3 requirement) another, has increased competition from NX also had an impact of your decision to withdraw?

4. Have Rotala Plc considered the 10 plate Scania Omnicity double decker ex Scania Demo or the batch of 08 plate dual door ex London Central Omnicity double deckers currently for sale at Ensign Bus & Coach as potential options to complement the examples currently at Wessex

5. How many additional B7RLE/Wright have been purchased for Wessex? I've seen a report of 2 allover white B7RLE registered BL13SWW and BL13SWX. The poster also goes on to say that there are two branded for route 13, not sure if they are also new or from the existing fleet, can you advise?

6. Have you had any more luck selling on any further redundant Levantes? I'm surprised another NX contractor didn't snap up a batch of that size for fleet replacement or even NX themselves for owned Op's

7. Do you intend to undertake a similar review of your Kidderminster operation in due course?

1.   Since about 2010, the market for buying buses has changed.  There has been no need for stock orders.  We have however made orders for buses to Optare for Hybrid Single Decks, to Volvo for the Hybrid double decks, and the 4 normal Deckers we acquired last year.  We will shortly be ordering another 2 new Double Deckers for the South West, and we are looking at options for at present for next year.  Our rates for new buses are the same (excluding extras) whether we buy 1 or 50. 

2.    The plan was for 3 Ex Park & Ride Volvo Centros to come to the West Midlands.  There are a large number of service frequencies increases in the South West.  All but one of these vehicles will now go back to Keynsham. 

1.   We expected the Competition Commission report, to have a greater impact on the Multi-Operator ticketing in the West Midlands.  It didn't.   

2.   We wanted to improve and focus on the quality of the rest of our service provision

4.   Having acquired and operated a large number of Ex-London vehicles, I am not a fan hence my reluctance on the 08 plate buses.  On the 10 plate bus, I made Ross an offer which he refused.  We seem to both have a different view on its worth.

5.   The 2 you have mentioned have been purchased, plus 2 "59" plate Volvo Centro's, plus BX62FGD will be transferred (one "59" plate will replace this)  The rebranded ones are from existing fleet.

7.   Yes

Hi again Simon,

Thanks for your reply

From observations, it appears that a lot of the focus for new vehicle investment is dictated by the needs/growth of Wessex & the South West Business and to a lesser degree the Preston business, whilst Diamond @ Long Acre & Tividale which is Rotala's biggest subsidiary appears to be the poorer relation which generally losses newer buses to Wessex or receives older cascades. Even the entire batch of Hybrid Versas were originally destined for Wessex according to the Green bus funding announcement as I understood it.

Are there any plans to grow the business/allocation at Long Acre? As that depot has seen the most loss of work i.e. withdrawal from commercial routes, Centro tender losses, exit from NX work, loss of NEC shuttle work etc   

With the impressive growth Scott has achieved @ Yourbus in just 4 years, going from start-up to a 100 vehicle operation / second-hand Darts/B10B's/Olympians being replaced by brand new Mercedes Citaros/Streetlights on newly launched routes etc. Were Scott & team unable to achieve similar growth results at the Diamond business? From observations the Diamond business doesn't appear to be as strong as it was during the period Scott was in charge and appears to be losing ground to new entrants such as Arriva & WMSNT. Are the operating conditions in the West Midlands much tougher?

Ash

Glad someone from Rotala is answering some of our questions and queries so thank you for that.

I have a few general questions:

1) Is there any possibility in the future the 4 will be reinstated on a sunday to it's old 404E timetable just between Walsall and West Bromwich every 15 minutes, I caught the sunday service a few times when it was the 404E and always seemed popular with many of the mcv's been full when reaching Walsall or West Bromwich. I think the 4M every 30 minutes killed the service especially when operating just a few minutes behind NXWM 4M.

2) Will any return branding be applied to any vehicles especially the cadets which normally stay on the 4 or 301 advertising the cheap £2.50 return especially when NXWM advertise there's on their vehicles at £2.90.

3) Will 30212 return to service in the near future, also I haven't seen 30832 for a while is this bus in for repair or out of service.

Thank You.

PM

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM
Really glad that you have joined the forum Simon-great to have a member of rotala on here to answer our questions etc. I understand your initial reluctance but thanks for responding to the points!

2) It is good that you aware of having too many smaller buses and I am glad that you intend to address this-though isnt K126URP still in service? It was recently as really enjoyed a ride on it!!

The vehicle was removed from service on 1st September 2013. 

Is it a case of catch it while you can then if it will be withdrawn in a couple of days time?

3) Understand this entirely but just think that an already well run and successful route could be further improved

4) Yes probably because people are buying it up to avoid the fact that soon buses will be more expensive euro6 buses And yes, i imagine the investigation made fleet changes a bit of an issue

There is capacity before Euro 6, in all bus builders at present.  As you say, the investigation delayed investment.

Thats good news then

5) great news about the three centros and does make sense to standardise long acre on centros and send the only eclipse 2 there to wessex. though not so sure about solos for redditch-more small buses are definitely not needed there!! The enviros were a good buy though in my opinion and maybe rotala could look out for more of these?

We need to revise our plan with regards the buses that originally came from Wessex.  That being the 07 plate Centro's.  I am not sure I know which Enviro's you mean. 

I meant the three enviro300s boughts-the two ex hansons and two ex premiere. Sorry-didnt make that clear. 
6) To my knowledge these buses are DDA compliant!!

Not quite.  They are missing an interlock.  This would not cost much, and we will fit it to the buses in service.  The ones currently missing from service, we need to review and evaluate. Sorry didnt realise this but hopefully some could renter service to replace older MPDs?

Good news about the netowork review but it doesnt seem to have every redditch bus route actually on it which is a shame

I have looked at the marketing material, and I cannot see any Redditch Bus route missing.  It certainly wasn't our intention

Think the 146 at least is missing

9) to be honest, with regards to the 192 I would only like it to be reinstated on entusiasts grounds-i understand it is probably not financially viable

10) Great and about point 11 all I would say here is that the new buses gets it wrong again-tonnes of mistakes in this magazine recently and the quality seems to have gone downhill or is that just me that thinks that?

Thanks for answering these points but just a couple more

Can withdrawal dates for the cadets/KS03 solos be given?

Not at present I understand just I thought rotala's policy of selling buses that seem to break down a lot etc would eliminate these batches of buses

Also, how long do you think rotala will keep W567JVV, the AKW darts and the SVV and JUA and MNH darts-just interested as I like them and need to photo a couple more

We have lost a number of Centro tenders from October.  We need to assess what we need on going, this has not happened yet. Sorry to hear that though there does seem to be a bit of ridiculous bidding going on at the moment-first arriva and not wmsnt so diamond are competing against a registered charity which can get better tax rates etc which ISNT AT ALL FAIR and makes me cross to be honest

And the same with the first darts and presidents-where are they being stored and when will some be withdrawn from service and also could I email rotala seperately about a depot visit to photo some of the withdrawn stuff. Is that ok?

They are being stored between Redditch and Kidderminster.  Depots visits are not a problem, and you should contact dave.russell@rotala.co.uk  (he is away for 2 weeks from Yesterday).  A number have been withdrawn, a number will exit when either we have a buyer or we acquire the buses to replace them.   Thanks very much Simon! Might arrange one for a couple of weeks time then-is any depot a possibility-is much stored at tividale or mostly kidderminster/redditch/long acre?

Love the new style rotala branding eg for summer sale!! Next time, could this be put by the entrance to buses or at the bottom of the windscreen to advertise it a bit more? Think this was the only point of mine that you missed but just to say Im a huge fan of the current "style" if thats the right word? The redditch guides and timetables are absolutely spot on and in my view industry leading but is there one for kidderminster and other routes other than redditch/247/142/143? Could some be made for birmingham routes

Also, don't know to what extent you were involved with diamond buses in the early days of rotala ownership but I've got timetables for diamond 144/002/56 and connect 10/904/37/17/97/119. Were any other timetables produced out of interest-if you don't know this no worries-but Im thinking 301/404 as it was then or anything else and does rotala still have copies of these old timetables printed and possibly available to those of us who collect anything diamond buses

Cheers and Im sorry if the quoting thing has gone crazy!!!

Thanks very much for reading this and best of luck with improving diamond buses in the coming months

Ash

There were 404E black country connection timetables which were available in the early days of when the mcv's were first introduced onto the service.

PM

Quote from: Ash on August 28, 2013, 02:29:33 PM
There were 404E black country connection timetables which were available in the early days of when the mcv's were first introduced onto the service.

Were there? Shame I havent got one of those or seen where to get them-how about when the initial MANs and volvos came on the route? were there timetables for that as well? And thanks for your rely Ash  :)

andy

Here we have it from the horse's mouth..... this is why no operator will ever make any serious inroads into NX's monopoly. And why Rotala in particular chooses to make its investment and concentrate it resources in other areas, where they can actually achieve a decent market share.  I don't think people realise how much of a monopoly NX have achieved via the lack of multi operator ticketing in this area. It simply doesn't happen anywhere else.

PM

Quote from: andy on August 28, 2013, 07:10:17 PM

Here we have it from the horse's mouth..... this is why no operator will ever make any serious inroads into NX's monopoly. And why Rotala in particular chooses to make its investment and concentrate it resources in other areas, where they can actually achieve a decent market share.  I don't think people realise how much of a monopoly NX have achieved via the lack of multi operator ticketing in this area. It simply doesn't happen anywhere else.

I agree Andy and having seen rotala's quality timetables and branded buses for the routes-it was let's be honest-a textbook effort and even then they couldnt get it to work so I agree it is unfair and anti-competitive. I would be interested to hear Simon though as to whether rotala are for or against reregulated operation. Just to open a can of worms...  :P

Simon Dunn

Quote from: the #trainbasher on August 28, 2013, 08:43:46 AM
Hi again Simon.

Another question about the 226 if I may, just so satisfy some of the views held by residents of the area I live in.

Why did diamond initially launch on Monday to Saturday daytime services, initially within a couple of minutes of the Hansons journeys whereas surely creating a every 15 minute joint frequency would have been better initially.

Another view which is held locally was that the intention was not to promote diamond but to, as several people have said in my area, run Hansons off the road. This was inflamed by rumours of diamond drivers saying that this was the intention.

The 226 commenced whilst Scott (my brother) was overseeing the Diamond Bus operation.  In all honesty, I am not exactly sure the Commercial reasons why.  I believe, (it is a long time back now) that it was connected to what we perceived were some other opportunities we saw in the area at that time.

Unfortunately drivers will have banter, and there are always a few who create situations. 

My question therefore is to know if that was what was to happen or was it something that was hoped to be different but turned out to be just one of then things.

On a personal note I must say I like the blue livery on the Wright Eclipses.

(Please note I am not asking on behalf of Hansons however much some people probably think I am)

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Winston on August 28, 2013, 10:05:34 AM
Hi Simon & welcome,

7.   Yes

Hi again Simon,

Thanks for your reply

From observations, it appears that a lot of the focus for new vehicle investment is dictated by the needs/growth of Wessex & the South West Business and to a lesser degree the Preston business, whilst Diamond @ Long Acre & Tividale which is Rotala's biggest subsidiary appears to be the poorer relation which generally losses newer buses to Wessex or receives older cascades. Even the entire batch of Hybrid Versas were originally destined for Wessex according to the Green bus funding announcement as I understood it.

Are there any plans to grow the business/allocation at Long Acre? As that depot has seen the most loss of work i.e. withdrawal from commercial routes, Centro tender losses, exit from NX work, loss of NEC shuttle work etc   

With the impressive growth Scott has achieved @ Yourbus in just 4 years, going from start-up to a 100 vehicle operation / second-hand Darts/B10B's/Olympians being replaced by brand new Mercedes Citaros/Streetlights on newly launched routes etc. Were Scott & team unable to achieve similar growth results at the Diamond business? From observations the Diamond business doesn't appear to be as strong as it was during the period Scott was in charge and appears to be losing ground to new entrants such as Arriva & WMSNT. Are the operating conditions in the West Midlands much tougher?

In an ideal world all areas would justify and warrant new fleets.  Each market is different, each market has its own requirements.  In the South West Area most of our work comes under either high contractual requirements or SQPS stipulations that require vehicles to a high standard.  These requirements and standards, influence cost of provision and quality of vehicles.  In the West Midlands, I believe over a period of time we have invested in our Commercial corridors, yes there is still room for improvement.  In terms of subsidised Contracts we are happy to provide whatever the client requires, ultimately though someone has to pay for it.

In relation to Long Acre, it is always disappointing to lose work.  I am responsible for doing what is right for the Rotala businesses, and in all honesty I regret losing none of what has gone.  Medium term we have opportunities in the pipeline. 

In relation to Scott.  His business operates in a different market with different opportunities.  It is difficult to compare what we are doing with him. 

Overall, from memory I think our operational fleet has an average age of 7.5 years.  From the last TAS report I saw (again from memory) I believe this would compare well with our Peers.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Ash on August 28, 2013, 12:47:28 PM
Glad someone from Rotala is answering some of our questions and queries so thank you for that.

I have a few general questions:

1) Is there any possibility in the future the 4 will be reinstated on a sunday to it's old 404E timetable just between Walsall and West Bromwich every 15 minutes, I caught the sunday service a few times when it was the 404E and always seemed popular with many of the mcv's been full when reaching Walsall or West Bromwich. I think the 4M every 30 minutes killed the service especially when operating just a few minutes behind NXWM 4M.

2) Will any return branding be applied to any vehicles especially the cadets which normally stay on the 4 or 301 advertising the cheap £2.50 return especially when NXWM advertise there's on their vehicles at £2.90.

3) Will 30212 return to service in the near future, also I haven't seen 30832 for a while is this bus in for repair or out of service.

Thank You.

1.  This will be reviewed in the near future.
2.  At present, we are reviewing the Tividale fleet post the October Centro changes.  At that point, we intend to do something.
3.  30212 - This vehicle has been badly damaged and I doubt it will return to fleet.
4.  30832 - This vehicle is in service

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk