News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Four train operating companies in one photograph

Started by Tony, April 29, 2012, 04:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Now here is a challenge for someone to get 5! It is possible as I was just about to catch Cross Country home when I took this
http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class156/156455.html

Tony

windy miller

only the XC missing! or maybe a light engine? but where would it fit in this pic? apart from (Poss) glasgow where else might you expect to see 5? Leeds? in a day certainly, but in one picture.? unless its a fake... :o :o :o
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

It is possible to get 4 at New Street as well, although I just missed it tonight, at about 17:20 there is a Pendolino on platform 6; A Cross country Voyager on 5B, and a London Midland 350 on 4C. An Arriva Wales 158 then departs behind them of Platform 3, to get the photo with 4 in you have to get the AW train moving, and I didn't quite get there in time tonight.

It is theoretically possible to get4 at Birmingham International as well, although I have never quite seen it. The London Midland 323 and the Arriva 158 will sit there together when terminating and a Pendolino will come through towards Birmingham while they are there, but I have never seen the Cross Country goint the other way

What line does the class 323 operate at B'ham International?

Quote from: Tony on May 08, 2012, 09:02:16 PM
It is possible to get 4 at New Street as well, although I just missed it tonight, at about 17:20 there is a Pendolino on platform 6; A Cross country Voyager on 5B, and a London Midland 350 on 4C. An Arriva Wales 158 then departs behind them of Platform 3, to get the photo with 4 in you have to get the AW train moving, and I didn't quite get there in time tonight.

It is theoretically possible to get4 at Birmingham International as well, although I have never quite seen it. The London Midland 323 and the Arriva 158 will sit there together when terminating and a Pendolino will come through towards Birmingham while they are there, but I have never seen the Cross Country goint the other way

Tony

It does the all stations shuttle between New Street and International, 39 minutes past each hour from New Street. The Arriva 158 is 36 mintes past each hour from New Street, just 3 minutes in front

Yeah, if I'm correct that's the Arriva train Wales service to aberystwyth/Holyhead, with the new interior that London midland should be jealous of  ;)

Quote from: Tony on May 08, 2012, 10:19:17 PM
It does the all stations shuttle between New Street and International, 39 minutes past each hour from New Street. The Arriva 158 is 36 mintes past each hour from New Street, just 3 minutes in front

Ash

The 323 calls at all stops between New Street and International apart from Marston Green

Quote from: Tony on May 08, 2012, 10:19:17 PM

I'll try having a go tomorrow, my best is 3, I was recording a 158 to Birmingham international, then out of nowhere a 323 to Wolverhampton and a class 172 I assume to Stratford upon Avon turned up

windy miller

Just a thought-how about facing the camera INTO a terminus? instead of facing out? :- ie with services awaiting departure? Its a pity XC dont operate out of liverpool lime st. or do they??  A Trans pennine may be in platform1,an LM in 2,A pendolino in 3, and a northern on its way in/out?- I'll check it out next time Im up there-might need to stand in the tunnel to get the shot.!! :)

I don't think XC, I think they operate to Manchester Piccadilly.
That's not a bad idea Windy, I think Platform 4C at Birmingham New Street would be a great vantage point.
I tried today to get 4 trains or more, but my best was 3, but a quite incredible 3, I think:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/madabouttransport/7217532028/in/photostream

Quote from: windy miller on May 10, 2012, 01:55:42 AM
Just a thought-how about facing the camera INTO a terminus? instead of facing out? :- ie with services awaiting departure? Its a pity XC dont operate out of liverpool lime st. or do they??  A Trans pennine may be in platform1,an LM in 2,A pendolino in 3, and a northern on its way in/out?- I'll check it out next time Im up there-might need to stand in the tunnel to get the shot.!! :)

windy miller

4504 ..I had another thought about Lime st-- TP in plat1, an LM in 2,Pendolino in 3,Northern in6,  and an arriva wales 175 on its way out of 8. thats FIVE.?( I don't think XC run to lime st)

Nope. XC don't. VT serve 2 trains an hour from London Euston, LM serve 2 trains an hour from Birmingham New Street, both to Lime Street.
Nice, have you actually got a picture of it  :). I'm still going to try and get 4 or more trains in one picture at New Street, I think another good way would be to take a picture on Hill Street looking down on New Street.

Quote from: windy miller on May 18, 2012, 12:40:48 AM
4504 ..I had another thought about Lime st-- TP in plat1, an LM in 2,Pendolino in 3,Northern in6,  and an arriva wales 175 on its way out of 8. thats FIVE.?( I don't think XC run to lime st)

windy miller

4504-Yeah loads! :) If you recall what I said earlier about standing in the tunnel to take the shot-If I had a photo it would probably be over my hospital bed :) How about Glasgow central?
-certainly VT. Scotrail. Who else? East coast/TP/XC not sure ::)

Kevin

Not sure on the timings of it, but might be possible to get 5 at Crewe? If you were stood at the south end of platform 11 you could see a Northern 323 in 1, an East mids 153 in a bay, a LM 350, a pendolino/voyager and an Arriva unit?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

I actually managed to get four TOCs (Virgin, London Midland, Arriva Trains Wales and Cross Country on 4 adjacent tracks this evening at New Street
http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class350/350260.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk