News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Brierley Hill Bus Improvement Scheme

Started by winston, January 03, 2013, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

The (10% more expensive) Express and Star's lead story today is that Intu are investing £20 million on improvements to Merry Hill.  However, it would appear that the Bus Station is not going to benefit from any of this investment, despite the fact that the value of the centre has increased by £27m since Intu took it over.

bubble2899

Is Merry Hill the worst station in the UK? Surely they could make a raised drop off point.

Tiptonian

Yes, the lack of a raised footpath at Merry Hill bus station was an error, but it drops you by the shops, it is compact, and although it can gets jammed up occasionally, there are no conflicting bus movements.  My prize for worst bus station absolutely definitely must go to the current Derby bus station, which, for a modern station, has so many faults. It is an embarrassment!  (Can I feel a new thread coming on?)

JoNi

If Derby bus station really is that bad start a new thread and say the top 10 things wrong with it in your opinion.

Roy

I've been told that Intu are talking to Centro about the bus station.  If I hear anything more positive that can be made public, I will post it.

LiamthebusGuy

I was at Merry Hill shopping park the other day, (the retail park not the centre) and even in homesense that is no where near the  bus station, you colud hear buses tooting and hooting and revving. When i went over there seemed to be some kind of a duel between an nx bus and a diamond dart. Citation needed, i think it was diamond, can't remember though...

bubble2899

I think most days there are bus conflicts with the shelters and mirrors it is a common sight to see a driver adjusting the mirror arm after it has brushed the stand.

winston

The front page of the local rag is suggesting that plans for a revamp of Merry Hill Bus Station are being revived as part of a package of various other improvements planned at the centre.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Winston on October 14, 2015, 06:32:57 PM
The front page of the local rag is suggesting that plans for a revamp of Merry Hill Bus Station are being revived as part of a package of various other improvements planned at the centre.

It needs improvement. Only problem is where are they going to put the buses whilst its rebuilt
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

winston

Quote from: Chris on October 14, 2015, 06:44:16 PM
It needs improvement. Only problem is where are they going to put the buses whilst its rebuilt

I don't think that kind of revamp will happen or a new bespoke bus station be built & located elsewhere, they're far too keen on keeping those that travel in by car happy.

Personally, the best we could hope for is possibly an additional 3rd lane & row of shelters being added at the expense of a couple of rows of parking spaces on the car park in front of Halford's, thus increasing capacity.  The new lane could be done first whilst the existing bus station remains open, they could then work back towards the bus parking area by closing & revamping one row at a time to keep the current station operational, any deliveries would all have to be out of hours. It may also be possible to add a material canopy similar to Walsall St Paul's to provide some protection from the elements.

karl724223

Quote from: Winston on October 14, 2015, 07:06:15 PM
I don't think that kind of revamp will happen or a new bespoke bus station be built & located elsewhere, they're far too keen on keeping those that travel in by car happy.

Personally, the best we could hope for is possibly an additional 3rd lane & row of shelters being added at the expense of a couple of rows of parking spaces on the car park in front of Halford's, thus increasing capacity.  The new lane could be done first whilst the existing bus station remains open, they could then work back towards the bus parking area by closing & revamping one row at a time to keep the current station operational, any deliveries would all have to be out of hours. It may also be possible to add a material canopy similar to Walsall St Paul's to provide some protection from the elements.
more like a quick makeover don't get your hopes up

BK63 YWP

Quote from: karl724223 on October 14, 2015, 07:15:21 PM

A lick of paint then like dudley lol

X10 Gornal Wood

winston

Quote from: karl724223 on October 14, 2015, 07:15:21 PM

A quick makeover achieves nothing, might be slightly more pleasing on the eye, that's it. It will still not be fit for purpose neither will it tick all the boxes for DDA

Capacity at the bus station needs to be increased, I don't see what I was suggesting costing mega bucks and it would be a vast improvement on the existing. The upload only stops also need curbs adding / pavement levels built up so bus platforms would be level allowing passengers to disembark seamlessly.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Winston on October 14, 2015, 07:34:33 PM
A quick makeover achieves nothing, might be slightly more pleasing on the eye, that's it. It will still not be fit for purpose neither will it tick all the boxes for DDA

Capacity at the bus station needs to be increased, I don't see what I was suggesting costing mega bucks and it would be a vast improvement on the existing. The upload only stops also need curbs adding / pavement levels built up so bus platforms would be level allowing passengers to disembark seamlessly.

Why did centro/intu put railings by Stand H and unloading stands for?

X10 Gornal Wood

karl724223

Quote from: Chris on October 14, 2015, 07:41:12 PM
Why did centro/intu put railings by Stand H and unloading stands for?
for us drivers to lean on derr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk