News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Disused Railway Lines

Started by BusMan Greg, December 09, 2017, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BusMan Greg

There are many disused railway lines in the U.K. which could be very useful today

mark114

Totally agree with you Busman Greg I would like to see the route opened fully from Walsall or Pleck Junction to Stourbridge sadly it will never happen also the route from Lichfield to Brownhills sadly all or these routes are in the history books

MW

Camp Hill. NXWM are probably the only people that wouldn't like it, as it'd impact the 50, which is one of the most profitable routes in the company, I imagine.

BusMan Greg

The Walsall to lichfield section would be useful for trains to bescot because they would not have to go through Brum. Well the ones to and from burton way

Stu

Quote from: MW on December 09, 2017, 07:15:54 PM
Camp Hill. NXWM are probably the only people that wouldn't like it, as it'd impact the 50, which is one of the most profitable routes in the company, I imagine.

I believe this proposal has been in the pipeline for years, but under the new franchise is going to be fully explored. While I think that a lot of people may benefit from building of/reopening new stations at Moseley, Kings Heath and Hazelwell, I don't think it would majorly impact on patronage on the 50 service, though it would have some effect of course.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BusMan Greg

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was plans that chase water was going to extend there line to newtown and then join the old Anglesey sidings but it never happen due to finance and the introduction of the toll road

The Real 4778

Quote from: BusMan Greg on December 09, 2017, 07:18:57 PM
The Walsall to lichfield section would be useful for trains to bescot because they would not have to go through Brum. Well the ones to and from burton way

They don't anyway - trains from that direction go through Sutton Park, as they have done since before closure of the Walsall - Lichfield route.
Don't you start.

Kevin

(seems a logical thread to drag up, save starting a new one)

Quote from: BusMan Greg on December 09, 2017, 07:18:57 PM

Coming over the Tin Man island in Brownhills this afternoon, I noted that the old railway formation underneath seems to have been cleared a bit. A sign of movement on this front perhaps? I would love to see this line brought onto use again
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Roy

Quote from: Kevin on May 04, 2019, 05:32:45 PM
(seems a logical thread to drag up, save starting a new one)

Coming over the Tin Man island in Brownhills this afternoon, I noted that the old railway formation underneath seems to have been cleared a bit. A sign of movement on this front perhaps? I would love to see this line brought onto use again

The Rail Investment Strategy published by West Midlands Rail Executive at the start of the year does not propose the reopening of Walsall to Lichfield before 2034, although it talks about investigating the development of a rail corridor from Wolverhampton to Lichfield via Walsall between 2034 and 2047.  The strategy also talks about extending Cross City services from Lichfield Trent Valley to Burton-on-Trent with a stop at Alrewas between 2026 and 2033. 

The worrying news is that Michael Fabricant (MP for Lichfield) has publicly backed a plan by the Burntwood Action Group to convert the line into a cycle track, so I wonder if it is these people who are doing the clearing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk