News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Uber stripped of licence to operate in London

Started by JoNi, September 22, 2017, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markcf83

I don't agree with much of what Sadiq Khan has done as Mayor but on this I'm definitely in agreement. One sexual assault per WEEK by an Uber driver-and that's just the crimes reported. Uber are gone.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

WMT3000

Quote from: markcf83 on September 22, 2017, 05:26:46 PM
I don't agree with much of what Sadiq Khan has done as Mayor but on this I'm definitely in agreement. One sexual assault per WEEK by an Uber driver-and that's just the crimes reported. Uber are gone.
Just a shame it's not a nationwide ban - yet.

the trainbasher

Quote from: WMT3000 on September 22, 2017, 06:34:50 PM
Just a shame it's not a nationwide ban - yet.

I can't see what's wrong with uber. I've used them more and more as buses are getting unreliable

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 22, 2017, 06:47:25 PM
I can't see what's wrong with uber. I've used them more and more as buses are getting unreliable

So one sexual assault a week, not reported to authorities like they are required to is OK?

the trainbasher

Quote from: Tony on September 22, 2017, 07:14:18 PM

So one sexual assault a week, not reported to authorities like they are required to is OK?

I'm only going on experiences in the West Midlands. Please forgive me my Lord for not reading the Evening Standard and being as abreast of the daily situation in London

There again RT is less of a biased news outlet than the Evening Standard so it is no wonder I don't read that rubbish.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 22, 2017, 07:26:24 PM
I'm only going on experiences in the West Midlands. Please forgive me my Lord for not reading the Evening Standard and being as abreast of the daily situation in London

There again RT is less of a biased news outlet than the Evening Standard so it is no wonder I don't read that rubbish.

What's the Evening Standard got to do with anything? TfL have given not reporting sexual assault claims to them as one of the reasons for not renewing their license

mranon

I used uber a few times. all have turned up as promised unlike local ph firms!!! I like not having to pay cash, the app tells you who and what car is coming etc. however only once did I get a local driver. the others had fares from other towns, and took job on as they were close. relying too much on google maps, I ask them if they know where they are going and tell them the way. every driver I have had on there has been smart, clean car and friendly. wish I could say the same for my local ph firms!!!

markcf83

Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 22, 2017, 07:26:24 PM

It has been reported on BBC News as a main headline few months back...

Uber I would never use them because anyone can drive for Uber.
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

the trainbasher

Quote from: Chris on September 22, 2017, 11:52:38 PM
It has been reported on BBC News as a main headline few months back...

Uber I would never use them because anyone can drive for Uber.

Don't really watch BBC News as I find it too left wind. RT and Al Jazeera are more my speed. Hence I'm not aware of what happens in the capital

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 23, 2017, 01:01:25 AM
Don't really watch BBC News as I find it too left wind. RT and Al Jazeera are more my speed. Hence I'm not aware of what happens in the capital

Try reading this from the Uber Driver union rep

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dennis-bartholomew/uber-driver-tfl-license_b_18070056.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Employers like that do not belong in the 21st century

Walsall1955

This decision in London is a good one and I hope that it is replicated nationwide.

Uber's business model is one of finding fares for private hire taxi drivers and many of those fares are most likely removed from the pockets of black cab drivers.

Black cab drivers are more highly regulated that private hire firms and have more stringent checks and training.  They therefore deserve some element of protection from cowboys.

What Uber has done is give private hire drivers (in fact any car driver who signs up to Uber?) access to fares that rightly belong to black cabs, by effectively alowing Uber cabs to ply for hire by electronic booking means.

I recently saw a news report where an Uber taxi picked up a fare and the vehicle appeared to have no obvious identification that it was a licenced private hire vehicle.    I thought that legitimate private hire vehicles prominently displayed logos and 'phone numbers for their operator.   

There are then employment rights, Uber drivers have been treated as self employed as a means of avoiding taxes, national insurance, employment rights and VAT.      I know that the employment rights issue has been to Court and won on the drivers behalf but it looks like Uber are not going to accept the Court decision.   Regarding VAT it is the case that Uber is holding itself out as supplying taxi services but not paying VAT on the fares, a legal case is understood to be in progress in this respect.   

Sandy Lane

Can Uber be banned from the West Midlands as well?

the trainbasher

Quote from: Sandy Lane on September 23, 2017, 07:40:14 PM
Can Uber be banned from the West Midlands as well?

And either put the cost of my commute by a extra £100 or make me rely on buses which don't turn up (226 in the morning), overcrowded buses ran by WN, take forever to get me home or result in a 3 hour trip as I have to get 3 buses in a evening. No thank you!

Using uber has given me a much more reliable commute, got me home in time to get the Evening news on RT. at a decent hour, especially working in my office until after the Evening rush hour

Without Uber I'd either have to quit my job or get another job with more money. Hard to on that in local government!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk