News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

New consultation survey now up on the NX Bus website for South Birmingham.

I would hope that after the fiasco of the East Birmingham / North Solihull review this year, that other operators will be consulting too, or involved in this consultation in conjunction with WMCA/TfWM.

http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/service-changes/south-birmingham-consultation

EDIT: Following the initial consultation, a further consultation is underway taking into account passenger feedback already received. New survey is online now:
http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/news/south-birmingham-consultation-2017-11-27
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

j789

Just read through some of these ideas in the consultation. I have to say the suggestions aren't exactly offering anything new, mostly seems an excuse to curtail routes short and cut off the ends of the route. The 45/47 change to completely withdraw the 47 is terrible, Longbridge isn't the only place people want to go to! Also, why mess again with the 98 route to serve Cofton Hackett, that will make that route longer as less appealing.

I would keep the current pershore road routes but reduce frequencies after Cotteridge. I would then introduce a circular City -Cotteridge (via Pershore Rd) then via Oak Tree Lane to Bristol Road and back to City Via Shelly Oak or even QE hospital. This would maintain a high frequency over the busiest parts of the route but without having to completely cut routes. I don't think this consultation will go down particularly well at all!

BigDaddyCool

I've sent an email. I'm in Weoley Castle and have suggested this.
Tin hat at the ready...

In regards to the consultation for South Birmingham I have the following suggestions. I am based in Weoley Castle but travel to / from Birmingham City Centre, Selly Oak, Northfield, Cotteridge and Kings Norton.

Route 18
I see that there are proposed changes to this and note that the current 48 service maybe terminated at Bearwood. Therefore I would propose that the 18 service runs from Yardley Wood to Weoley Castle (Via Northfield and then the current 48 route). There could be perhaps a 18A that continues from Northfield towards the direction of Bartley Green. Service 98 would still provide a direct link for passengers between Northfield and the QE.

To summarise;

18 Yardley Wood > Weoley Caslte Via Northfield

18A Yardley Wood > Allen's Cross Via Northfield

Route X64
Obviously this is no longer an express route and therefore the 'x' needs to be dropped. This route seems quite long winded at present - not helped by congestion around the QE area. Is there anything that could be done in this regard? Perhaps routing this to not call at the QE.

To summarise;

Bartley Green > Birmingham
Drop the 'X'
Don't call at the QE

Also,

NEW ROUTE 21
I think there could be benefits of a fast service linking Weoley Castle and Harborne. Perhaps a circular service that also includes the QE and Selly Oak. This could go the following route perhaps numbered the 21;

Weoley Castle Square
Weoley Castle Road
Barnes Hill
California Way
Northfield Road
War lane
Harborne High street
--- Current 48 Route --
QE
Selly Oak (Bristol Road)
--- Current X64 Route --
Weoley Castle Square

PM

Surprised the proposal to replace the 27 by altering other routes hasn't been mentioned. I don't think that'll go down especially well.

Curtailing the 48 at QE, then providing a service to run Northfield-City via QE and Swarthmore Rd, Weoley Castle could work quite well similar to the old 44, bolsters the QE-City corridor, enabling 98E's to go.

j789

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on July 25, 2017, 09:04:48 PM
I've sent an email. I'm in Weoley Castle and have suggested this.
Tin hat at the ready...

In regards to the consultation for South Birmingham I have the following suggestions. I am based in Weoley Castle but travel to / from Birmingham City Centre, Selly Oak, Northfield, Cotteridge and Kings Norton.

Route 18
I see that there are proposed changes to this and note that the current 48 service maybe terminated at Bearwood. Therefore I would propose that the 18 service runs from Yardley Wood to Weoley Castle (Via Northfield and then the current 48 route). There could be perhaps a 18A that continues from Northfield towards the direction of Bartley Green. Service 98 would still provide a direct link for passengers between Northfield and the QE.

To summarise;

18 Yardley Wood > Weoley Caslte Via Northfield

18A Yardley Wood > Allen's Cross Via Northfield

Route X64
Obviously this is no longer an express route and therefore the 'x' needs to be dropped. This route seems quite long winded at present - not helped by congestion around the QE area. Is there anything that could be done in this regard? Perhaps routing this to not call at the QE.

To summarise;

Bartley Green > Birmingham
Drop the 'X'
Don't call at the QE

Also,

NEW ROUTE 21
I think there could be benefits of a fast service linking Weoley Castle and Harborne. Perhaps a circular service that also includes the QE and Selly Oak. This could go the following route perhaps numbered the 21;

Weoley Castle Square
Weoley Castle Road
Barnes Hill
California Way
Northfield Road
War lane
Harborne High street
--- Current 48 Route --
QE
Selly Oak (Bristol Road)
--- Current X64 Route --
Weoley Castle Square

The x64 idea wouldn't work as it needs to serve the QE hospital to provide the current 10 min frequency between there and the Cuty, alongside the 98. The 48 was only to reduce it back to the QE, not Bearwood. The colsultation idea of having two terminus points for the 18 might work however the 18 has always seemed a fairly busy and reliable route so I'm not sure it needs tampering with now.

Trident 4194

My only issue is one of the publics top 4 priorities are low fares. I don't really see them as cheap.

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on July 25, 2017, 09:32:37 PM
My only issue is one of the publics top 4 priorities are low fares. I don't really see them as cheap.

Perhaps you should go and catch some buses elsewhere

BigDaddyCool

Quote from: Trident 4194 on July 25, 2017, 09:32:37 PM

How anyone can complain about bus fares in the West Midlands is beyond me.... The current fare structure (in particular) day savers and weekly / monthly passes represent fantastic value for money.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on July 25, 2017, 09:39:16 PM

£4 from Halesowen to Quinton return is good then? Yet you can go to bilston for £3. The logic just isn't there

Mike K

I've had a quick skim through all of the proposals and it has the potential to be every bit as unpopular as the East Birmingham changes. I get the congestion and worsening journey times but the potential loss of direct services from Cofton Hackett / Turves Green, Gospel Lane and Warstock to the city centre seems bizarre.

And lo and behold, it looks like the 29 will be shortened back to Northfield. I predicted that a long time ago - surprised it's taken this long to be honest.

The likely withdrawal of the 27 seems to have no coherent or well thought out replacement. The 27 worked better when it went Kings Heath to West Heath and before the constant extensions which, not surprisingly, have made it more unreliable. This was a popular and well used route when I lived in Stirchley, not least with Dame Elizabeth Cadbury school kids and Cadbury workers. I hope the many connections it provides aren't lost.

BigDaddyCool

Quote from: j789 on July 25, 2017, 09:17:01 PM
The x64 idea wouldn't work as it needs to serve the QE hospital to provide the current 10 min frequency between there and the Cuty, alongside the 98. The 48 was only to reduce it back to the QE, not Bearwood. The colsultation idea of having two terminus points for the 18 might work however the 18 has always seemed a fairly busy and reliable route so I'm not sure it needs tampering with now.

Does it need a 10 minute frequency? I don't know, maybe someone would have the answer ... but it can add considerable time on going round the QE and if efficiently is one of the things they are after stuff like that needs to be looked in to.

For me getting from A to B as quickly as possible needs to be priority...

BigDaddyCool

Quote from: Trident 4194 on July 25, 2017, 09:52:20 PM
£4 from Halesowen to Quinton return is good then? Yet you can go to bilston for £3. The logic just isn't there

Still cheaper than a taxi!

j789

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on July 25, 2017, 09:55:11 PM
Does it need a 10 minute frequency? I don't know, maybe someone would have the answer ... but it can add considerable time on going round the QE and if efficiently is one of the things they are after stuff like that needs to be looked in to.

For me getting from A to B as quickly as possible needs to be priority...

Yeah the 10 minute frequency is needed for the hospital and uni students linking with town. However, if the 99 route change hadn't happened a few months ago your idea could have worked! I still think the 98/99 worked better than the alternatives do.

Trident 4194

PM

Quote from: Tony on July 25, 2017, 09:39:16 PM

I've come back from a weekend in Brighton, B&H are a much praised operator. Frequencies lower than on most NX routes, fares higher, daysavers not valid on night services!!! I reckon fares are about the most competitive in the country, happy to be proven wrong though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk