News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

POLL: How do you view/read the forum?

Started by Stu, July 13, 2017, 10:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your most common means of accessing this forum?

Desktop/Laptop PC/Mac only
11 (25%)
Mobile device (phone/tablet) only
13 (29.5%)
Mainly desktop/laptop PC/Mac, occasionally mobile device
10 (22.7%)
Mainly mobile device, occasionally desktop/laptop PC/Mac
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: July 20, 2017, 10:42:31 AM

Stu

Hi all,

I'm running this quick simple survey, just to ascertain the most popular method that members use to read this forum.

I'm considering introducing a new theme for the forum, which will be mobile-responsive, and will be easier to view on mobile devices with smaller screens.

But before I go ahead and implement this, I just want to see whether it is worth doing first, ie if the vast majority view the forum using a browser on a desktop PC or Mac, then there is probably no point.

So please cast your vote, and leave any other comments and suggestions below.

Thanks in advance!  :D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

the trainbasher

I usually use the WAP site on my mobile to view the forum

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

MW

On my phone, in Safari. It's easy to use already tbh.

P419 EJW

Quote from: MW on July 13, 2017, 01:54:32 PM
On my phone, in Safari. It's easy to use already tbh.

I second this.

Jack

Sh4318

Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Thanks folks for your contributions so far!

To be honest, I'd forgotten that SMF had a built-in WAP layout functionality, so I was surprised to see that people were still using the WAP view to see this website on their mobile phones!

In my regular line of work (ecommerce) I am constantly reminded that more and more people are viewing webpages on mobile devices, so it is so important to ensure that websites are 'mobile-friendly' otherwise people will just look elsewhere.

Before I put up this poll, I had a feeling that most users would be using mobile devices, rather than 'traditional' desktop PCs (or Macs), and it is looking like I may be right.

I'm going to give people the opportunity to test out the new forum look for themselves tomorrow, but I am going to stress that members will have the choice to revert to the 'default SMF' theme if the new look is not to their liking, this is not going to be imposed on anybody. The new look will retain all the current functionality, and will work across desktop and mobile devices.

Personally, I have always been of the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but then again I am also accepting of change where it is needed. And personally while I only use this forum on my 'traditional' desktop PC, I accept that there are many people who are using mobile phones and tablets nowadays. What we will end up with is a nice compromise! ;)
My locals:

Stuharris 6360

@Stu , 99% of the time I look at the forum with my laptop, will this be affected ?

@Stuharris 6360 from the above post:

I'm going to give people the opportunity to test out the new forum look for themselves tomorrow, but I am going to stress that members will have the choice to revert to the 'default SMF' theme if the new look is not to their liking, this is not going to be imposed on anybody. The new look will retain all the current functionality, and will work across desktop and mobile devices.

@Winston I read the post, but although I am quite pc orientated, I don't really understand what @Stu means by "default SMF Theme" and do you need to do anything to continue to be able to see the forum in its current guise which to me is very readable and organised, that is why i asked the question.

To me, as Stu says, really if the forum isn't broken, then why alter it, but that is my personal opinion. Obviously I know a lot of people view and contribute to the forum on there mobiles etc, was just concerned that I can continue to view it on my laptop. Stu
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 13, 2017, 10:35:04 PM
@Stu , 99% of the time I look at the forum with my laptop, will this be affected ?

@Stuharris 6360 from the above post:

@Winston I read the post, but although I am quite pc orientated, I don't really understand what @Stu means by "default SMF Theme" and do you need to do anything to continue to be able to see the forum in its current guise which to me is very readable and organised, that is why i asked the question.

To me, as Stu says, really if the forum isn't broken, then why alter it, but that is my personal opinion. Obviously I know a lot of people view and contribute to the forum on there mobiles etc, was just concerned that I can continue to view it on my laptop. Stu

The 'default SMF theme' is the layout you see currently. Sorry if it wasn't made clear in the poll options, but a laptop PC would be the same as a desktop PC, ie a 'traditional' keyboard/mouse (or in the case of a laptop, keyboard/trackpad) operated computer.

'Responsive' layout means that the website design adapts itself accordingly depending on what size display the device is using, it will be usable on both traditional computers with large displays, as well as mobile devices with smaller screens. So yes, you'll still be able to view the forum on your laptop.

From the poll results so far, it does appear that a majority of members are using mobile devices, so the forum experience for them should be greatly improved.
My locals:

Stu

If anyone wants to try them out, go to your Profile Settings, then under Modify Profle > Look and Layout, you should all now have the option to select your theme of choice by clicking the (Change) link next to 'Current Theme'.

You can always change back to the Default SMF Theme if you don't like them.

Let me know what you think!
My locals:

P419 EJW

Sampled two new themes and sadly I don't like them. Not surprising coming from a person who doesn't like changes - I very much prefer the default SMF theme.

Stu

Quote from: P419 EJW on July 14, 2017, 02:01:26 PM
Sampled two new themes and sadly I don't like them. Not surprising coming from a person who doesn't like changes - I very much prefer the default SMF theme.

Thats perfectly fine, the 'default SMF theme' is not going to be removed, it will always be available as an option.  :)

One thing I have noticed, and to make others aware of, is that on the responsive templates, because they use HTML5/Bootstrap, and Javascript is not 'mobile-friendly', some AJAX functions are not supported. In less technical terms, this means that you don't see the little [1] to let you know if you have any private messages or Mentions, nor does the 'pop-up' notification appear now. I'm going to look into this further to see if something alternative can be implemented instead.

But otherwise, I hope others can appreciate the clean fresh 'new look' that the new themes offer.
My locals:

MW

@Stu

There used to be a button on the home screen to let you see 'Recent Unread Topics'. This would basically show you all the latest posts that you've not already read. Could we see this return? I bookmarked the link years ago, and it still works. There just isn't a link on the main site for it.

This is the function I'm talking about:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?action=unread

Stu

Quote from: MW on July 14, 2017, 06:35:35 PM
@Stu

There used to be a button on the home screen to let you see 'Recent Unread Topics'. This would basically show you all the latest posts that you've not already read. Could we see this return? I bookmarked the link years ago, and it still works. There just isn't a link on the main site for it.

This is the function I'm talking about:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?action=unread

Which theme are you trying?

In the new 'WMBIP 2017' theme, this option is in the 'Profile' menu, and is called 'New Posts'
My locals:

the trainbasher

Wow! The red theme looks almost NXWM after its faded! Much better than using WAP!!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk