News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Metro extension gets go-ahead

Started by Stu, June 21, 2016, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

With new extensions in the pipeline, I'd imagine that some new trams will be needed if the frequency is to remain as it is. Is there room at wednesbury for a larger fleet? Or maybe there's an additional or alternate site being looked into?

Roy

Quote from: Gareth on January 18, 2018, 07:13:47 PM
With new extensions in the pipeline, I'd imagine that some new trams will be needed if the frequency is to remain as it is. Is there room at wednesbury for a larger fleet? Or maybe there's an additional or alternate site being looked into?
The plans for Wednesbury to Brierley Hill (http://metroalliance.co.uk/projects/wednesbury-to-brierley-hill-extension/) mentions an additional depot although it doesn't say where.  It is thought that it would be close to the existing depot.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: the trainbasher on January 18, 2018, 06:54:34 PM
What I am mainly objecting to as a resident of the West Midlands is that it will cost more if done as a split from the current line one to Wolverhampton Station and Wolverhampton station to Wednesfield, same with the situation in Birmingham where it is going only as far as Grand Central when they should have been doing the whole lot in one go in my opinion.

Oh I forgot, the taxpayer funding does not matter for the combined authorities wishes at times

Walking?? Just like the whole Uber argument started when you could not be bothered to walk to the main road to get 2 buses instead of 3? You could even cut that down to 1 if you walked from Stourbridge to Mary Stevens.

It is not a waste of taxpayers money to extend it to Wolverhampton station as it creates an interchange which the city needs

Would you call the wednesbury to merry hill extension and HS2 a waste of money when it will create more jobs, ease the stress of the already busy new street and west coast main line??
You very good at being a keyboard warrior and when people give their opinion you think yours is the better one and never seem to compromise?

The end of the day the West Midlands is getting some serious investment and it's about time!!

Would you rather the metro say yeah let's extend to wednesfield straight away and come into issues I.e "Another Carillion" or take it a stage at a time.

The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Kevin

I seem to remember at one point talk of using the old sidings area at Duddeston for a depot alongside an Eastside extension? Or have I just imagined that?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 08:04:06 AM
I seem to remember at one point talk of using the old sidings area at Duddeston for a depot alongside an Eastside extension? Or have I just imagined that?

That's still the plan to house all the additional electric stock

mikestone

No one seems to have mentioned that Pipers Row closed last weekend, resulting in the re-opening of Princess St to buses, the 79 and 126 starting outside the police station and Banga 530/545 using the "tourist"coach stop adjacent to the tram stop. There may well be others but I didn't see a leaflet listing the changes, just a new city centre map.
;
There doesn't seem to have been a TfWM update this week - I thought I might have been deleted from the mailing list  after slagging them off over the failure to list the Select 71 - and last weeks only includes the 89.

Ginger66

I would love to see trams run from Wolverhampton Station to Tettenhall via Lichfield St and Chapel Ash which is a good 2 mile run.

DJ

The internal maps have been updated with the Birmingham extension, and it's now showing that trams bound for Wolverhampton Rail Station won't be stopping at The Royal. I presume they'll run through without stopping so that trams using the extension won't take any longer than ones going to St George's, keeping the timetable the same.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Roy

Quote from: StourValley98 on December 16, 2019, 07:03:35 AM
The internal maps have been updated with the Birmingham extension, and it's now showing that trams bound for Wolverhampton Rail Station won't be stopping at The Royal. I presume they'll run through without stopping so that trams using the extension won't take any longer than ones going to St George's, keeping the timetable the same.
This must be a mistake.  The map on the website shows the current extension, plus the future extensions to Hagley Road and Wolverhampton station, and shows The Royal as a stop.  There is no way that they are going to remove it given the distance between Priestfield and Pipers Row/St Georges and the redevelopment of the Royal Hospital site.

karl724223

Quote from: Roy on December 16, 2019, 03:48:22 PM
This must be a mistake.  The map on the website shows the current extension, plus the future extensions to Hagley Road and Wolverhampton station, and shows The Royal as a stop.  There is no way that they are going to remove it given the distance between Priestfield and Pipers Row/St Georges and the redevelopment of the Royal Hospital site.
the extension to the Hagley road is what they are doing now

richardjones210368

Quote from: karl724223 on December 16, 2019, 04:41:51 PM
the extension to the Hagley road is what they are doing now
The extention to Hagley Road is being built at present lasts about 800meters thats all on Hagley Road there a no plans to proceed with the original Hagley Road route which would have provided a viable alternative to the Hagley Road Bus Services it is sadly now nothing more than an aspiration. I personally would have welcomed a City to Blackheath/Halesowen Sprint along Hagley Road as an alternative to the current bus services operated.

Busboy105

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 17, 2019, 10:34:15 AM
The extention to Hagley Road is being built at present lasts about 800meters thats all on Hagley Road there a no plans to proceed with the original Hagley Road route which would have provided a viable alternative to the Hagley Road Bus Services it is sadly now nothing more than an aspiration. I personally would have welcomed a City to Blackheath/Halesowen Sprint along Hagley Road as an alternative to the current bus services operated.
We all know how much you despise the NX Hagley Road routes (you don't seem to give any solutions just complain) the works would just create chaos. With the underpass not opening again being a possibility, that's a risk that can't be taken.
P.S does anybody know when the Wolves works finish?

Roy

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 17, 2019, 12:55:21 PM
P.S does anybody know when the Wolves works finish?
The plan is to have the Metro operating when the new railway station fully opens later in 2020.  The first phase of the new station is due to open early in 2020 to enable the existing station entrance to be demolished and rebuilt.

Busboy105

How is the Wolves extension doing? When I went there before the corona stuff went down, the tracks were just being put in.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 12:23:53 PM
How is the Wolves extension doing? When I went there before the corona stuff went down, the tracks were just being put in.
They've been put in and Pipers Row is back open to traffic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk