News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The next West Midlands franchise

Started by Tony, December 09, 2015, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: Tony on August 15, 2017, 06:31:37 PM
Not quite! Someone at London Midland forgot to renew the lease on the 321s, so Scotrail leased them from the owner. London Midland then had to find something to replace them. 350s currently cannot work the Abbey Line so they had to find something!

Ah, got you. I wasn't far off then!

Quote from: Tony on August 15, 2017, 06:32:18 PM
No looks like either 350s or brand new units

350s would be my bet, they already run to Walsall so those services could be extended to Rugeley. They're really nice trains too, imo.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Bob

And lengthened platforms at most stations beyond walsall then Tony?

Bob

Also are we stuck with diesel till December 2018???

Tony

Quote from: Bob on August 15, 2017, 07:10:36 PM
And lengthened platforms at most stations beyond walsall then Tony?

Would have to be if it is the 350s. They do not have selective door opening, so North of Walsall could only call at Landywood and Rugeley Trent Valley Northbound, and then Hednesford Southbound!

Steve3229vp

100 new trains (carriages) for the Cross-City line:

Firstly, does the cross-city line use more than that now ?
Secondly, are these new carriages as well as existing ones are is it a total replacement ?
Thirdly, would I be correct is saying that the "metro" style carriages are like the overground trains in London (seats sideways) ?

Tony

Quote from: Steve3229vp on August 25, 2017, 10:59:36 AM
100 new trains (carriages) for the Cross-City line:

Firstly, does the cross-city line use more than that now ?
Secondly, are these new carriages as well as existing ones are is it a total replacement ?
Thirdly, would I be correct is saying that the "metro" style carriages are like the overground trains in London (seats sideways) ?

There's currently 26 323s in the West Midlands, so 78 carriages and that includes the ones used on other lines, so100 is a large increase

Kevin

Quote from: Steve3229vp on August 25, 2017, 10:59:36 AM

I would hope not, travelling in from Lichfield Redditch or Bromsgrove and potentially having to stand most of the way would cause a fair amount of outrage
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Kevin on August 25, 2017, 12:56:41 PM
I would hope not, travelling in from Lichfield Redditch or Bromsgrove and potentially having to stand most of the way would cause a fair amount of outrage
I wouldn't mind it because I and many others don't like travelling backwards, the seats facing the forward way of travel generally fill up first anyway.

V89MOA

Quote from: Kevin on August 25, 2017, 12:56:41 PM
I agree, also a lot of people use the trains to get to the Q.E. Hospital, who for medical reasons would struggle to stand. If 350s currently seat less than 323s, I can see "Metro style trains" providing even less seats for commuters. I don't see why they won't just bring in the rest of the 323s like Govia wanted to, they are the best trains for the job!
Another thought occurs.... Will the new units have a first class section, isolating even more seats?

Tony

According to a contact at TfWM the plan for the Chase Line is platform extensions to four car and class 350s

DJ

Quote from: Tony on September 05, 2017, 07:19:35 AM
According to a contact at TfWM the plan for the Chase Line is platform extensions to four car and class 350s

If the 323's end up going, do you think the Wolves - Birmingham - Walsall stoppers could be extended, or maybe revert back to Wolves - Birmingham - Coventry, with Birmingham - Walsall stoppers being extended to Rugeley?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: DJ98 on September 05, 2017, 12:42:35 PM
If the 323's end up going, do you think the Wolves - Birmingham - Walsall stoppers could be extended, or maybe revert back to Wolves - Birmingham - Coventry, with Birmingham - Walsall stoppers being extended to Rugeley?

Wolves Birmingham is only two per hours, Birmingham-Walsall is four, so no scope for more extensions other than swapping them off the Walsall terminators onto the Rugeleys

mikestone

My understanding was one of the existing Wolverhampton line paths would be taken by the Crewe via Stoke service and the one additional path they could have would be the new Salop.
However it has since been stated that the Stoke service will continue to Euston, so it does seem there is some change planned to the existing cross-Birmingham linkages.
The alternative of one of the Salops  becoming all stations would clearly be bonkers.

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on September 05, 2017, 07:12:40 PM
My understanding was one of the existing Wolverhampton line paths would be taken by the Crewe via Stoke service and the one additional path they could have would be the new Salop.
However it has since been stated that the Stoke service will continue to Euston, so it does seem there is some change planned to the existing cross-Birmingham linkages.
The alternative of one of the Salops  becoming all stations would clearly be bonkers.

The other possibility is the Rugeleys continue Stafford, Stoke & Crewe which is a possibility with 350s. There are rumours of the new franchise asking for an extension of Crewe terminators to Manchester Airport.

Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk