News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

The next West Midlands franchise

Started by Tony, December 09, 2015, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Roy on September 01, 2016, 02:55:03 PM

Your are right Mike.  To provide a Saturday level service on Sundays will need a 7-day working agreement.  Both Central Trains and London Midland have tried and failed to change the agreement from a 6-day agreement with voluntary working on Sundays to a 7-day agreement, and this resulted in work to rules and cancelled Sunday services on two or three occasions over the years.  The current situation with GTR where they are trying to introduce new working practices has caused chaos on the Southern and Gatwick Express services with strikes and staff sickness causing mass cancellations and some highly ****ed-off passengers.  I just hope that we don't find ourselves in the same situation in the Midlands in 2021.

The problem you have is that the drivers in certain respects hold the management to ransom in these situations, it's rather a case of the drivers telling the management to jump and they reply how high.

The government may wish all these things to happen and the train companies might wish it to, but without the cooperation of the drivers you don't stand a chance.

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

Yeah but they have the right to take industrial action if they feel that their working rights are being destroyed. Strike action and working to rule sends a message to management.

It is not holding passengers or managers ransom but reminding management that the workers have rights as well

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

andy41

Quote from: Roy on September 01, 2016, 02:55:03 PM
I've read some rubbish in my life but this is one takes the gold medal!  To suggest that the majority of people only travel on Sunday to get a free ride is at best untrue and at worst libellous.  I agree that there are a small proportion of fare evaders on all local lines but they operate seven days a week not just on a Sunday. 

The first train is not only full with passengers but also with their luggage.  That is because a large proportion are trying to get to New Street for an onward long distance journey.  The fact that the first train of the day from the Stourbridge line does not arrive at Snow Hill until 1022 and Moor Street until 1028 means that Stourbridge line passengers miss over 20 onward long distance services from New Street.  In fact, if you are travelling towards Bristol and the West Country, the earliest train you can catch is the 1130 from New Street, and that is unacceptable.

The 1014 train from Kidderminster will always be full even if earlier trains were provided as it arrives in Birmingham just as the shops open, although this also attracts long distance travellers as it is the first train of the day from Lye, Old Hill and Langley Green. 

Yes of course you're right I'm talking complete rubbish, because I don't work on these trains atall, I've never worked that train on a Sunday ever and consequently I don't have any experience to draw on before making the comment. Oh wait.....?...

Roy

According to Modern Railways, "it is expected that the winning bid for the next West Midlands franchise will propose serving new routes and introducing new rolling stock".  They speculate that the class 323s will be replaced, but not the 350s.  I wonder if there are any plans to replace the 170s. 

The Times went one further on Monday by publishing a claim that Abellio has been tipped to operate the new franchise "according to industry insiders".  Personally, I'd wait for the official announcement which they say will be slightly delayed due to the General Election.   

Tony

Quote from: Roy on May 25, 2017, 08:47:07 PM
According to Modern Railways, "it is expected that the winning bid for the next West Midlands franchise will propose serving new routes and introducing new rolling stock".  They speculate that the class 323s will be replaced, but not the 350s.  I wonder if there are any plans to replace the 170s. 

The Times went one further on Monday by publishing a claim that Abellio has been tipped to operate the new franchise "according to industry insiders".  Personally, I'd wait for the official announcement which they say will be slightly delayed due to the General Election.

Alstom have said they offered new EMU's to replace the 323s but it was turned down by both bidders.

The Real 4778

Quote from: Tony on May 25, 2017, 08:54:26 PM
Alstom have said they offered new EMU's to replace the 323s but it was turned down by both bidders.

When faced with an unproven Alstom product in its concept stage or proven EMU platforms from any of Hitachi, Siemens, Stadler, Bombardier or CAF, then I know to whom I'd be saying 'don't call us, we'll call you.' !
Don't you start.

The Real 4778

Rumour has it that the decision is expected by the end of this week.  I'm not holding my breath.
Don't you start.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: The Real 4778 on June 06, 2017, 11:58:16 AM
Rumour has it that the decision is expected by the end of this week.  I'm not holding my breath.

I hope abellio gets it
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Roy

Quote from: The Real 4778 on June 06, 2017, 11:58:16 AM

Normally, the announcement is made by the Secretary of State in a statement to Parliament, accompanied by a press release.  Parliament is currently dissolved awaiting the result of the General Election, and we probably won't know who the Secretary of State for Transport is until Friday or Saturday (hopefully not Grayling).  So, unless the Tories are intending to hand out some goodies before Thursday, I wouldn't expect any news this week.

The Real 4778

Quote from: Roy on June 06, 2017, 07:57:30 PM
Normally, the announcement is made by the Secretary of State in a statement to Parliament, accompanied by a press release.  Parliament is currently dissolved awaiting the result of the General Election, and we probably won't know who the Secretary of State for Transport is until Friday or Saturday (hopefully not Grayling).  So, unless the Tories are intending to hand out some goodies before Thursday, I wouldn't expect any news this week.

Ah yes, the power of Purdah!
Don't you start.

midlandred2003

What has happened about the the franchise that was meant to be announced In June.

The Real 4778

Quote from: midlandred2003 on July 04, 2017, 09:41:47 AM
What has happened about the the franchise that was meant to be announced In June.

The announcement was scheduled for the day after the general election, that's what happened to it!

Word on the street is that the decision may be announced this Thursday.
Don't you start.

Tony

Quote from: The Real 4778 on July 04, 2017, 10:52:25 AM
The announcement was scheduled for the day after the general election, that's what happened to it!

Word on the street is that the decision may be announced this Thursday.

I'm hearing rumours there could be a third possibility which is another short extension to the existing franchise

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on July 04, 2017, 11:13:05 AM
I'm hearing rumours there could be a third possibility which is another short extension to the existing franchise

Oh no, this process will become never ending
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Roy

The last I heard was for an announcement in July.  The current rumours are that the new franchise should start on 15 October but there have been rumours of a postponement until December 11 (the start of the winter timetable).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk