News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

London Buses.

Started by Stuharris 6360, November 21, 2013, 08:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

For those interested in London Buses, due to the strike on the Underground yesterday and to add a bit of interest, the oldest remaint RT, RT8 (FXT 183) was used on the 15H heritage service.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Interestingly, Thousands of Transport for London staff will head east in 2018 as the agency makes its headquarters in the
Olympic Park. TfL will be switching its main address at St James to a new 250,000 square foot office at the
International Quarter, which is the main office development on the Olympic site. TfL have been looking for a
new head office close to the Southwark 'Palestra House' HQ.
The grade-I listed building at 55 Broadway over St James's Park station, dubbed the capital's first skyscraper,
was designed to reflect a bold future for London Transport and has now been earmarked for a residential
redevelopment and a potential sale.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Screens are to be introduced on London's buses informing passengers how many seats are available upstairs
and where they are located. Situated between the driver and the staircase, the technology will save people the
trouble of venturing upstairs to check whether seats are free. Rather than relying on the installation of sensors
in the seats, the system will make use of existing technology, using additional image recognition software to
determine the number of people on seats by scanning CCTV data. Monitors are also being installed which
provide information relating to the route of the buses, with travel updates and details of nearby landmarks. This
will prevent people from distracting the driver with requests for information. Live maps have already been put in
place on some buses and seat counters are to appear on the number 12 route within the next few weeks.

CL

@Stuharris 6360, I've heard that the 'Borismaster' has these, near the rear staircase (stated on TopGear). Are they going to install something similar, but bigger, somewhat like the screens on the NXWM Tridents? Would the iBus announce where seats are situated?
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

@clayderman  Have to say i haven't seen any Borismasters with screens on them.

From what i understand, ibus will not announce where the seats are? Ibus already has announcements saying to move father down the bus, and that seats are available upstairs. These are usually totally ignored by people, so i don't see why a display showing where seats are available upstairs will make a difference. To be honest, i think it's another waste of money, the money could have been spent elsewhere!

JoNi

If there are sensors presumably there will be an additional message saying "passengers are politely requested to not put their bags on seats beside them" unless of course  they want to get to their destination faster.......

CL

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 28, 2014, 10:52:42 AM
@clayderman  Have to say i haven't seen any Borismasters with screens on them.

From what i understand, ibus will not announce where the seats are? Ibus already has announcements saying to move father down the bus, and that seats are available upstairs. These are usually totally ignored by people, so i don't see why a display showing where seats are available upstairs will make a difference. To be honest, i think it's another waste of money, the money could have been spent elsewhere!

I was just curious, thanks for the answer! :)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

Route 9H, operated by Routemasters, is to be withdrawn on the 23 July 2014.

The Routemasters which operate this route are to be assesed to find the best ones, these will be combined with the best of the fleet operating the 15H so that the 15H will be operated by the best buses that remain.

Just found out that the Routemasters that are to remain will be refurbished!

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 03, 2014, 06:31:39 PM

The Routemasters which operate this route are to be assesed to find the best ones, these will be combined with the best of the fleet operating the 15H so that the 15H will be operated by the best buses that remain.

I believe not only refurbished, but have some original features reinstated like wind down windows

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on July 03, 2014, 08:01:14 PM

I believe not only refurbished, but have some original features reinstated like wind down windows

Would be nice to see them with manual gearboxes reinstated to!

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 03, 2014, 10:19:30 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 03, 2014, 08:01:14 PM

Would be nice to see them with manual gearboxes reinstated to!

Routemasters never had manual gearboxes, they were built as automatic/semi automatic

Stuharris 6360

Sorry @Tony, that what was what i meant. Think those gearboxes were more effective, allowed the driver more flexibility, than the current ones.

Stuharris 6360

London Buses are to consider providing a Christmas Day bus service.

Stuharris 6360

Was in London today, saw London Sovereign B5LH VH9 and caught it on the 13. The interesting thing about it was that the front near side tyre had a band at least one inch long from the outside of the tyre which was totally bald and the rest of the tyre had just about visible tread.

Might expect something like that from some operators around the West Midlands, but for a London operator, disgraceful! What do there maintenance department do?

John

LT312 is with Stagecoach Strathtay at the minute, seen here on the 73 in Dundee
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiewii/15098615953/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk