News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Quoting

Started by P419 EJW, April 12, 2014, 07:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P419 EJW

Hello, members of the forum.

I might sound pedantic or being a bastard but I can assure you I am not. Right, quoting. I notice that when some members quote and type their own comment to reply the quote, there are times I see their comment is hiding somewhere in the quote(s). I will give you an example.

Original quotes:

Quote from: wilmotm (Matt Wilmot) on April 12, 2014, 01:44:29 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 12, 2014, 11:21:41 AM
Quote from: Matt on April 12, 2014, 11:15:53 AM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 12, 2014, 11:00:34 AM
Quote from: Matt on April 11, 2014, 09:23:40 PM
Just a thought, why not make the 246 single deckers at night, like what happens with some Brum services. It rarely gets busy and undesirables often gather upstairs smoking and behaving badly.

Good idea Matt and it would be easily possible, add the evening journeys to the 243/4 daytime boards.

I highly doubt PE will want to add anymore miles to the elderly Mercs, particularly on late night boards
I was thinking X96s that finish in Dudley or Stour

Could do, i was just thinking if undesirables get on and behave badly, Mercs off the 243/4 would be better than B7Rles.

Where was the last comment? It's hiding somewhere. It can be annoying having to read back and see which is the same and eventually I (possibly you as well, if you have the same problem) can identify the "missing" quote where it should be.

Corrected quotes:

Quote from: wilmotm (Matt Wilmot) on April 12, 2014, 01:44:29 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 12, 2014, 11:21:41 AM
Quote from: Matt on April 12, 2014, 11:15:53 AM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 12, 2014, 11:00:34 AM
Quote from: Matt on April 11, 2014, 09:23:40 PM
Just a thought, why not make the 246 single deckers at night, like what happens with some Brum services. It rarely gets busy and undesirables often gather upstairs smoking and behaving badly.

Good idea Matt and it would be easily possible, add the evening journeys to the 243/4 daytime boards.

I was thinking X96s that finish in Dudley or Stour

Could do, i was just thinking if undesirables get on and behave badly, Mercs off the 243/4 would be better than B7Rles.

I highly doubt PE will want to add anymore miles to the elderly Mercs, particularly on late nighy boards

That looks better. I can read the quotes and follow the "story" of the topic. Note that I do not intend having to aim directly to those people in the examples of quotes, this is aimed generally. :) I want to show you examples, that is all.

When you quote, can you please be sure you are typing in the right place so we (and myself) can read without having to read back and try to find the "missing" quote/comment.

Thank you for reading and hope you understand why I felt about this quoting issue.

Stu

Basically, when 'quoting' make sure that you type your reply after the last /quote tag

[quote]this is someone's post[/quote]
this is my reply

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

No i don't think you are being pedantic.

It is very easy to reply in the wrong place, i have to admit that i have done it myself, however i always check my posts when i have posted them.

If you have mis-posted, the "modify" button should allow you to easily correct it so that everyone can read your post clearly.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

The Real 4778

I'm so grateful for you posting this and it being stickied.

Cheers, guys!
Don't you start.

winston

Can all members please ensure when 'quoting' a previous message, that they type their text in the correct location underneath the [/quote] brackets to ensure it is apparent what is being quoted and it's clear which is their text.

If you notice your post is incorrectly quoted at a later date, please 'edit' it using the 'modify' tool on the right-hand side,

Cheers,

Winston

Liverpool Street

To further Winnys point;

The management are working to resolve this issue of a 'jump' when quoting/making large volume of text causing many textual & grammatical errors. We apologise for the inconvenience as we work to resolve this issue
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

SK68MEV

I would like to know how to quote something from another topic
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: SK68MEV on July 15, 2019, 09:54:03 PM

That can be difficult sometimes because unless you get every little bit of the quote including the bits like "quote author=SK68MEV link=topic=2781.msg262509#msg262509 date=1563224043" you will find that the quote can come out all wrong.

I would be tempted just to highlight the bit you want to quote and copy and paste it, then put quotation marks around it!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

Quote from: SK68MEV on July 15, 2019, 09:54:03 PM

One thing you can do, is to click the 'Quote' option under 'Actions' on the post you want to quote.

Then select and copy the Quote code that appears in the Reply box that opens. Go back to the other topic you want to quote that in, and then paste the whole code there.

For example, the above part of this reply is coded as follows:
[quote author=SK68MEV link=topic=2781.msg262509#msg262509 date=1563224043]
[/quote]

One thing you can do, is to click the 'Quote' option under 'Actions' on the post you want to quote.

Then select and copy the Quote code that appears in the Reply box that opens. Go back to the other topic you want to quote that in, and then paste the whole code there.

The trick is to make sure that the text you want to appear formatted as a quote is enclosed within the 'quote' tags.

[quote]The trick is to make sure that the text you want to appear formatted as a quote is enclosed within the 'quote' BBcode tags.[/quote]

And then keep your own text outside of those tags, so it appears correctly.

QuoteThe trick is to make sure that the text you want to appear formatted as a quote is enclosed within the 'quote' tags.

And then keep your own text outside of those tags, so it appears correctly.

There is more information on BBcodes and how to use them to format text in the SMF help pages:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Bulletin_board_code

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SK68MEV

Thanks really appreciated @Stuharris 6360 and @Stu
Local Routes
NXWM - 11A, 11C, 94, 95, 28, 14, X12, X13
Diamond - 25, 93, 94
The Green Bus - 843